• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ivy Bridge Temperatures Could Be Linked To TIM Inside Integrated Heatspreader: Report

Caporegime
Has anyone seen or heard of any attempts at solder-mounting the IHS on to the core?

If it worked so well for Sandybridge, why not for Ivy?

It didn't work that well, IHS never do compared to a 'naked' core making direct contact with the heatsink.

Sandy Bridge simply didn't run as hot so the extra solder+IHS layers didn't hinder heat transfer as much.

Last edited:
Associate
See my earlier post - there was a problem found in Intel's own research with the solder where it suffers stress fractures under repeated heat cycling.

Obviously a fracture = air gap, which is very BAD for heat dissipation. It's thought this is why the change was made.

That was long prior to Sandy Bridge, and there was no problem with Sandy Bridge's solder, in either 1155, 2011 or the bigger Xeon boards. That was long, long ago. They continue to use solder in their IB laptop chips.

Soldato
I've just done my i7-3770K. This test is with a custom loop, triple RAD, 3 x Gentle Typhoon 1450 RPM on max for both tests.

Here's the before, this is with mx-4 on top of the IHS:

3770K_BEFORE.png

Here's the after, I removed the IHS and applied liquid pro on the die, and also liquid pro on top of the IHS:

3770K_AFTER.png

:)

Last edited:
Soldato
So it is cheap TIM instead of solder then and not the removal of the IHS completely that causes the difference in temps?

I don't think it's a case of "cheap" TIM, because I tried mx-4 in between the IHS and die and the temps actually went up, it took me a few goes to get it back to what it was before. I rate mx-4 quite highly, I've used it for years, I just think think the combination of paste>metal>paste>metal is acting as an insulator. Coollaboratory liquid pro, is liquid metal and doesn't seem to be affected by this.

Associate
Tempted to swap my 990x for one of these, as replacing TIM seems to help. So the IHS is fully steel? Might mill a full copper one out and polish it up to see what effect this has.

Back
Top Bottom