Jaguar XE - Over-hyped or just me?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I found the XJL super sport to also have a sub par interior. Not the refined luxury I expected.

Soldato
Totally agree. Wasn't impressed with the XE interior at all. Felt rather cheap and nasty. Certainly far below the class leaders as seen in the C Class or new A4. I know the current 3 is getting on a bit and due to be replaced imminently but to me it was even below that.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
If anyone is interested, happened to be browsing XJs today (i do like large saloon cars) this looks like a nice deal, described as absolutely immacule, FJSH, Supersport spec, and only 16,000miles from new. Not the cheapest but if anyone is looking for a decent XJ this looks nice for the money;

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201806117379740

(This isnt my car nor do i know the owner whatsoever, and it isnt the cheapest, it just caught my eye as a nice deal being as mint as it probably is, i mean 16k, thats great).

Soldato
I found the XJL super sport to also have a sub par interior. Not the refined luxury I expected.

I disagree, I loved my XJ Portfolio and realised I made a mistake chopping it in for a BMW as I then realised I'm not a fan of BMWs at all. I chopped the 640d M Sport GC which I didnt even keep for a year and bought an E43 AMG which Im very happy with.

edit: Admittedly iDrive is lightyears ahead of the infotainment system on the XJ

Last edited:
Associate
If anyone is interested, happened to be browsing XJs today (i do like large saloon cars) this looks like a nice deal, described as absolutely immacule, FJSH, Supersport spec, and only 16,000miles from new. Not the cheapest but if anyone is looking for a decent XJ this looks nice for the money;

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201806117379740

(This isnt my car nor do i know the owner whatsoever, and it isnt the cheapest, it just caught my eye as a nice deal being as mint as it probably is, i mean 16k, thats great).

That looks awesome.

Anyone want to buy a 730d

Soldato
I had an XJ try to out run me on the motorway the other day. I just lol'd safe in the knowledge most of his car would fall off and blow away before he got anywhere near me.

Associate
XE 2.0d R-Sport is the worst car I've had in 25 years. 84k miles, second engine, third turbo charger, new air con compressor/condenser, ABS faults due to hubs filling up with water (that affects ESP/emergency brake assist/AEB/cruise control/driving modes and worst of all electric hand brake release, hill starts a bit tricky), random incorrect quality fluid warnings from the ad blue system which means no more restarts after 500 miles until you get it seen too. Start/stop system only worked for the first few thou', despite requests to fix it. SatNav, which you are forced to have, is beyond useless for traffic and re-routing. If I'd had anything to do with implementing that system and happened to walk into Halfords and see what's available for a couple of hundred quid, I'd have sacked myself.

Don't get me started on the less than mediocre service from two Jaguar main dealers. Third turbo was due to bits of the old one being left in the intake system, resulting in a stand off between the two dealers and no car for a month.
Just bloody awful. https://oldmangrumbling.com/grumbles/jaguar-xe-the-worst-new-car-ive-had-ever/

Last edited:
Soldato
The wife had a brand spanking new XE last year as a company car. Hated, hated, hated it.
She then went through several others, but ended up getting on best with an Octavia!! :D

Caporegime
XE 2.0d R-Sport is the worst car I've had in 25 years. 84k miles, second engine, third turbo charger, new air con compressor/condenser, ABS faults due to hubs filling up with water (that affects ESP/emergency brake assist/AEB/cruise control/driving modes and worst of all electric hand brake release, hill starts a bit tricky), random incorrect quality fluid warnings from the ad blue system which means no more restarts after 500 miles until you get it seen too. Start/stop system only worked for the first few thou', despite requests to fix it. SatNav, which you are forced to have, is beyond useless for traffic and re-routing. If I'd had anything to do with implementing that system and happened to walk into Halfords and see what's available for a couple of hundred quid, I'd have sacked myself.

Don't get me started on the less than mediocre service from two Jaguar main dealers. Third turbo was due to bits of the old one being left in the intake system, resulting in a stand off between the two dealers and no car for a month.
Just bloody awful. https://oldmangrumbling.com/grumbles/jaguar-xe-the-worst-new-car-ive-had-ever/

Don't hold back! I'm glad I didn't opt for one now, the lease deals on the petrol portfolio were impressive but I just couldn't do it

but ended up getting on best with an Octavia!! :D

Multiple car of the year awards, not my words but the words of the motoring press....

Soldato
I thought the current XE had one of the nicer interiors of all of the cars I sat in at Goodwood. Which I think is quite the statement given the competition.

I didn't use the infotainment system though.

Back
Top Bottom