Poll: Japanese Grand Prix 2019, Suzuka - Race 17/21

Rate the 2019 Japanese Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
I guess we’ll see how much difference it made next race? I take it they’ve probably used it all season and it’s not a new thing? Or the fact the Japan result is wiped means it was introduced there?

Soldato
I guess we’ll see how much difference it made next race? I take it they’ve probably used it all season and it’s not a new thing? Or the fact the Japan result is wiped means it was introduced there?

That's probably all they can prove. Plus the FIA never want to upset manufacturers unless they really have to.

Soldato
**** makes me not want to support the team.

First you have Nelson piquet now this. I mean wtf. As I read it its a clear slam Dunk.

I think that's either a massive over-reaction or a poor comparison. The device meets the technical rules, but was found to break rules against aiding the driver.

Every team will be pushing or stepping over the line in some areas of the regulations - Renault's major sin is that they've been caught. Let them innovate and take the risk.

Soldato
So it's the same system that all the teams use to control energy deployment (traction control) out of corners with the engine mapping but Renault adjusted it to take care of brake balance too, to go faster it's legal but to slow the car down it's illegal.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
So it meets the technical regulations just fine...but because 'it could be considered to be a driving aid' they're DQ'd.

The Beeb said:
The ruling said: "The brake balance adjustment system in question acts as a driver aid by saving the driver from having to make a number of adjustments during a lap."

Is a semi-automatic gearbox not a driving aid then? I mean, it saves the driver from having to operate a clutch pedal or lever during gearchanges ;) I'd like to see where that line is drawn, because I just bet it's a fuzzy one :p

I kinda hope Renault appeal that one. Fair enough if the FIA want to rewrite the technical regs to exclude it from here on out. But to DQ cars that met the technical regulations of the race meeting...that doesn't sit well with me.

The Beeb said:
The decision promotes Ferrari's Charles Leclerc from seventh to sixth

OMGWTFBBQLOLOL FERRARI INTERNATIONAL ASSISTANCE!!!111oneoneeleventwelve :D

Soldato
Seems a little harsh to completely disqualify them for something that was within the rules. It's similar to Renault's mass damper in 2005/6. Technically legal, but it got banned as a movable device. They were only told to remove the device from the car then but kept their results. Why now are they excluded?

Caporegime
After reading the new clarification it seems brutal.
It was cleared and known about?

But now it's not? Like the mass damper fiasco again.
Maybe Renault should save some cash and not run the next race. Best of the rest is now definitely gone.

Soldato
The device was allowed in the technical rules (the way the car is built), but was deemed illegal under the sporting rules (the way the car is run). It was deemed a driver aid and therefore illegal to use (though apparently legal to have).

Back
Top Bottom