Javascript frameworks

Associate
RoR, Laravel or whatever you choose for your server backend would typically provide a Rest API for your javascript frontend (Angular, Ember or whatever) which would pull in data with Ajax calls.

Definitely the fashionable/trendy way to do sites now vs server rendered html :p. I'd like to give asp.net core and Angular2 a go some time for that.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I would recommend getting a good handle on the fundamentals of JavaScript first. Not just being able to fudge stuff together but actually understand closures, scope, the `this` keyword and how it behaves. Prototypes and object mixins, Ecmascript 6, promises, generators etc.

There is a really good set of little books called "you don't know js" which covers all this stuff. A lot of the newer frameworks are built around the new abilities of ec6 so there is not quite so much "magic" under the hood which means that a good grounding in JS will do you more good than ever before.

React is indeed flavour of the month at the moment but honestly if you want to learn jquery it's super simple. Some people suggest that it's inefficient but the speed and quality of JavaScript engines these days is amazing. Yes you can write awful jquery code but that's probably not due to a lack of knowledge of jquery but poor implementation of an idea that you would still have made a hash of in pure js.

The JavaScript engines in modern browsers optimise so much that a lot of traditional good practices are irrelevant because the engine will automatically do it for you.

Associate
OP
So my current prodicerment is I have my own business which I'm looking to wrap up.
For the past five years I have done tech support in schools, everything from changing printer cartridge to deploying new servers etc with me been the only tech person on site. I also have done websites for small businesses( re theaming Wordpress sites mainly) along with a few rails apps. I also know about virtual learning and e learning.
In the past I have used php .c# Ruby jQuery etc to get the job done.
Now due to circumstances beyond my control I am looking to get back in to working for a company.
The problem I have in my head is I don't know if I can do what they would want me to do?
I know the basics but because I'm not doing it all the time I not as sharp as I could be.
I now have more time on my hands to get stuff done.

I have been In it for 11 years in one form or another. But just wanting to land a junior position and want to work up :(

Back
Top Bottom