JEDEC Confirms CAMM2 Memory For Desktop PCs: DDR6 Up To 17.6 Gbps & LPDDR6 Up To 14.4 Gbps

Soldato
Wonder how it's going fit onto future desktop boards, probably a breakout board of some sort? The standard DIMM slots don't take up much room.

Last edited:
Associate
Last edited:
Associate
It offers some benefits when it comes to latency and power consumption. A better latching/securing mechanism than the current one would also be a plus.

Soldato
It offers some benefits when it comes to latency and power consumption. A better latching/securing mechanism than the current one would also be a plus.

The current mechanism which has been in use for 20+ years is sketchy as hell, Every time I install a ram stick it feels like I'm going to snap it sideways or in half with the amount of pressure you need to get it in.

Last edited:
Don

Desktop motherboards with DDR6 in 2026 or 2027 will use new memory standard CAMM2, mean DDR5 will be the memory stick to see the end of DIMM memory standard.

Usual wccftech clickbait. Nothing in that "article" actually states that JEDEC have confirmed CAMM2 for Desktop PCs.

Wonder how it's going fit onto future desktop boards, probably a breakout board of some sort? The standard DIMM slots don't take up much room.
Exactly - while CAMM2 may take less height (important for laptops and tiny form factor office machines), it takes a lot of surface area on a desktop motherboard.

I can't see it making inroads in Desktops, much less Servers (where you typical have 24x DIMM slots)

Edit:
Also seems they've somewhat shot themselves in the foot - there are 3 different possible versions of CAMM2, so as standards go seems like a rubbish idea if you actually want manufacturer uptake
1716380451445.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Desktop motherboards with DDR6 in 2026 or 2027 will use new memory standard CAMM2, mean DDR5 will be the memory stick to see the end of DIMM memory standard.

I'd be amazed if we got DDR6 in 2026 considering JEDEC are due to ratify their updated DDR5 standard in Q2 next year. I can see 2028 but 2026 seems way too early.

Soldato
Looks like MSI will be showcasing their Project Zero board at computex with the new CAMM2 memory "slot" if you can call it that. Looks okay on a board with all the connectors on the rear but still can't see this happening on a regular board. Imagine how it would work on a Matx or even itx board.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Looks like MSI will be showcasing their Project Zero board at computex with the new CAMM2 memory "slot" if you can call it that. Looks okay on a board with all the connectors on the rear but still can't see this happening on a regular board. Imagine how it would work on a Matx or even itx board.

I looked at CAMM2 desktop prototype and compared to DIMM, noticed CAMM2 length is about 40% smaller than DIMM slot length and CAMM2 wide is the same size as 3 DIMM slots, smaller than 4 DIMM slots size. CAMM2 on riser card or slim CAMM2 could work fine on MATX and ITX board.

Soldato
I looked at CAMM2 desktop prototype and compared to DIMM, noticed CAMM2 length is about 40% smaller than DIMM slot length and CAMM2 wide is the same size as 3 DIMM slots, smaller than 4 DIMM slots size. CAMM2 on riser card or slim CAMM2 could work fine on MATX and ITX board.

Good to know, glad you've confirmed it. That makes me rather excited for what we can expect for ITX market now!

Next concern is going to be cost... with any new tech it's going to be stupidly expensive for early adopters as usual.

Soldato

MSI showed a prototype of a ATX board equipped with the CAMM2 standard

It looks like the memory slots horizontally into the board , similar to how you install a Nvme drive and then you tighten it down with 4 screws

Depending on how the memory is cooled you can probably make a board where the memory is at the back and out of site

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'd be amazed if we got DDR6 in 2026 considering JEDEC are due to ratify their updated DDR5 standard in Q2 next year. I can see 2028 but 2026 seems way too early.
No 2028 is very long time away.

Interesting, Nvidia plan to launch next gen Blackhawk ARM AI SoC CPU with Blackwell GPU and LPDDR6 memory at end of 2024.

I googled LPDDR6 found JEDEC will publish LPDDR6 final spec in Q3 2024.

It seemed both LPDDR6 and DDR6 was completed development that already met JEDEC planned final spec many months before launch date.

LPDDR6 will launch in 2025 and DDR6 should launch in 2026, it all make sense.

Soldato
TeamGroup releases image of their DDR5 CAMM2 memory module

This module is 7500mhz/CL28 with 64gb capacity

The black bit on top is described as a "ultra thin graphene heatsink"

Last edited:
Soldato

Aside from the green pcb, these look epic!

Wonder what temps will be like?

Last edited:
Soldato

In the write up from TeamGroup about this actual module, they did state that this is for laptops only, and they are presenting it at CES 2024 or whatever it is coming up in June.

I'll see if I can find the article. https://tagteam.harvard.edu/hub_feeds/4247/feed_items/11137530
TeamGroup is ready to release its first LPDDR5X CAMM2 memory modules called the T-Create Expert AI, and aimed at AI notebooks.
T-CREATE EXPERT Ai CAMM2 Memory Module
As generative AI applications on PCs continue to expand, memory performance is becoming increasingly important. Team Group proudly presents the T-CREATE EXPERT Ai CAMM2 Memory Module, specially designed for future AI laptops. Utilizing LPDDR5X chips and Team Group's patented IC classification and verification technology, it offers impressive specifications: up to 7,500/6,400 MHz high frequencies, 60/51.2 GB/s high bandwidths, low latencies of CL28/CL24, and 32 GB/64 GB large capacities. These specifications are tailored to fully meet the high-speed computing demands of AI applications. Additionally, the module boasts patented ultra-thin graphene heat sinks, ensuring stable statements with low temperatures during intensive AI computations and similar tasks. The T-CREATE EXPERT Ai CAMM2 Memory Module provides users with an optimal experience, showcasing next-generation specifications and high-performance memory solutions.

This wont be coming to desktops anytime soon, if ever......look at the MSI board picture, it takes up more than 4 slots of space now, people are forgetting about 1 DPC boards (mATX and ITX) theres no room for it.

Other companies are already reporting DDR5 10,000 MT/s normal kits coming for release very soon, KLEVV being one of them, TeamGroup being another.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
This wont be coming to desktops anytime soon, if ever......look at the MSI board picture, it takes up more than 4 slots of space now, people are forgetting about 1 DPC boards (mATX and ITX) theres no room for it.

I now managed to measured ATX connector, it is about 50mm length with 24 pins. So Kingston Fury desktop CAMM2 prototype wide size is about 40mm aligned to ATX connector's 20 pins, CAMM2 length is about 80mm. That is much smaller than DDR5 DIMM slot length 150mm and 4 DIMM slots wide size is about 40mm.

Yep it will absolutely certainly fit in MATX motherboards which all has 4 DIMM slots as standard like Z790M AORUS ELITE AX:

Kingston Fury desktop CAMM2 prototype could theoretical fit in ITX motherboard like Z790I AORUS ULTRA if all ATX and SATA3 connectors moved to back of motherboard or use small laptop CAMM2 module or maybe CAMM2 memory riser?

Soldato
With it sitting flat they could butt it right up to the edge of the CPU socket though, there’s normally an inch of space there that doesn’t have any components.

Back
Top Bottom