Jeremy Clarkson presents Who Wants To Be A Millionaire

Soldato
I'm surprised they're able to bring this back - would have thought the prize money would be scaled down to fit in with the times.

Always makes me laugh on things like Pointless where the grand prize is like £1000, which on most people would be guaranteed to win in less than 5 minutes on who wants to be a millionaire. :D

Soldato
I still can't get my head around Jeremy Clarkson presenting. It will be interesting to see if he can do anything to a tired old format. To me Who Wants to be a Millionaire, along with the likes of The Weakest Link, and Deal or No Deal, are better off left in the annals of over played game shows.

Soldato
I'm surprised they're able to bring this back - would have thought the prize money would be scaled down to fit in with the times.

Always makes me laugh on things like Pointless where the grand prize is like £1000, which on most people would be guaranteed to win in less than 5 minutes on who wants to be a millionaire. :D

Inflation

The prize was £1m in 1998. It's still £1m now. But the value of the prize has dropped 40% in 20 years.

Hardly anyone will win it. Just like before.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I still can't get my head around Jeremy Clarkson presenting. It will be interesting to see if he can do anything to a tired old format. To me Who Wants to be a Millionaire, along with the likes of The Weakest Link, and Deal or No Deal, are better off left in the annals of over played game shows.

Despite the sometimes appearances JC has done a lot of other work and usually successfully - his WW2 documentaries for instance are really good.

Soldato
jc must have enough money, you would think he would have some pride/standards.
I suspect he has a strong patriotic streak and wants to return to a terrestrial UK broadcaster, as opposed to the Amazon $, have the the BBC shut the door for ever ?
wasn't the best part of his career in the original top gear with Tiff, Vicki , etc. when it was about cars.

Man of Honour
jc must have enough money, you would think he would have some pride/standards.
I suspect he has a strong patriotic streak and wants to return to a terrestrial UK broadcaster, as opposed to the Amazon $, have the the BBC shut the door for ever ?
wasn't the best part of his career in the original top gear with Tiff, Vicki , etc. when it was about cars.

Or just bored and wanting to do something different.

Soldato
I found out that Umbro was the Greek goddess of victory the other night. Well worth watching for the knowledge of that fine Scottish doctor.

Soldato
I watched it last night, intending it to be a one-off to laugh at Clackson, but it was all strangely familiar. If that was the first episode recorded I thought he did a surprisingly good job.*

I don't like change to setting your own safety net (rather than being set at £32,000), and it's still too slow for a long-term revival, but otherwise it worked well.

* Don't get me wrong, I watched Top Gear and used to like Clarkson (and know he's extremely intelligent from his work away from TG), but on that he ended up too reliant on scripts, playing the dumbass, and seemingly believing his own character - it was good to see he could still do the other side of things.

Soldato
I thought it was pretty good, made me laugh when he was harsh to some of the contestants, and the addition of a new lifeline of ‘Ask the Presenter’ made it pretty humorous!
It is very slow though, the first guy on the first episode was painful to watch, but at least Clarkson highlighted that too!

Back
Top Bottom