Jesters* Crossfit Journey

Associate
OP
Last workout before the short Christmas close down. Back open on the 27th.

A new 12 days of Christmas workout for this year.

50:00

1 x 200m Run
2 x Squat Snatch (60Kg)
3 x Hang Power Snatch
4 x Strict Pullup
5 x Handstand Pressups (20kg Plates)
6 x Back Squat
7 x Toes to Bar
8 x Push Press
9 x Overbar Burpees
10 x Box Jumps (30")
11 x Ground to Overhead
12 x Man Makers

If no one has done a 12 days of Christmas workout, it goes just like the common Christmas song. 1, then 2,1, then 3,2,1 and so on and so forth. Made it all the way to the 11th round and only had the run left. So hit cap with 79 reps remaining.

Great fun, a long hard slog but always worth it.

Now for 3 days rest and recovery. Whilst trying not to eat allllll the fooooooooooood.

Associate
OP
Haha yes it is a great workout! Back training yesterday, between Christmas and New Years each day is a different hero workout. Wednesday's was...

"Miagi"

45:00

50 x Deadlift (60Kg)
50 x Double Kettlebell Swings (24Kg)
50 x Pushups
50 x Clean + Jerks
50 x Pullups
50 x Kettlebell Taters
50 x Box Jumps (24")
50 x Wall Walks
50 x Knees to Elbows
50 x Double Unders

A proper brutal workout this one. Double swings and Clean + Jerks were the hardest parts of this workout before hitting the wall walks. Had to have chest to touch the wall for the reps to count. Hit cap at 33 wall walks, 383 reps total. Hopefully won't be doing this one again for a while :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Today was...

Lumberjack 20

40:00

20 x Deadlift (120Kg)
400m Run
20 x Kettlebell Swings (32Kg)
400m Run
20 x Overhead Squat (52.5Kg)
400m Run
20 x Burpees
400m Run
20 x Pullups
400m Run
20 x Box Jumps (24")
400m Run
20 x Dumbell Squat Cleans (2 x 22.5Kg)
400m Run

Much running at 2 degrees centigrade! Finished in 34:05, not overly happy with my time but workouts with a shed tonne of running are never my strong suit. The dumbell cleans were so much worse than I originally thought they would be. Felt a tiny bit ill after finishing.

Tomorrow is probably one of most well known Crossfit hero workouts "Murph". Being done as a team workout, will be taking my weighted vest in to do this one!

Associate
OP
Today was team Murph. Great workout!

40:00

In Pairs

1 Mile Run - 4 x 400

Then 20 Rounds of:

5 x Pullups
10 x Pressups
15 x Air Squat

1 Mile Run - 4 x 400

The workout was basically, I go then you go. Wore my 10Kg vest for all of it, always good to break out the vest! Just went all out and my partner and I completed it in 34:11.

Associate
OP
New Year training back off with a blast. Chatting to the head coach today and he is wanting to build his engine towards European Championships and on to the Open. So that means programming all the conditioning workouts! :p

WOD1

5:00
3 Rounds

5 x Down Ups
10 x Air Squats
5 x Ground to Overhead (20Kg Plate)
10 x Lunges (20Kg Plate)

Good fun little heart rate raiser this one. Not feeling quite 100% at the moment, feel like I have the beginnings of a cold but went steady and booted it for the last round. Finished in 2:55

3 x 12 Front Rack Lunge (Pick your own weight)
Every 2:30

Went with 60Kg for all reps, 6 each leg for each round. Not wanting to push it to 100% straight off and give myself some time to get the body back into the swing of it.

WOD2

30:00

50 x Wallballs (20lb)
40 x Kettlebell Snatches (24Kg)
30 x Toes to Bar
20 x Overbar Burpees
10 x Squat Snatch (70Kg)
20 x
30 x
40 x
50 x

So all the way down, and all the way back up again. Paced it nicely from the start, long workouts I never burn off the mark any more. Took my time with the wallballs and kb snatches. In the back of my head I knew the real test was coming in those 10 x snatches @ 70Kg. Managed to get them all and only failed 2 reps on the way to getting all 10. Boshed out the rest of the workout until I hit the cap with 42 wallballs left. Happy with that, the 2 failed snatches easily cost me a minute in time so I would have been quite close to finishing the workout if it had gone smoothly. But overall very happy as chippers are not my favourite!

Dave Castro (main programmer for CrossFit) posted the first teaser for the Open workouts. Dumbells look like they will be making a return, I have all my fingers crossed it isn't a repeat of one of last years workouts which fully broke me!

Associate
OP
Body weight EMOM to start today off.

20:00 EMOM

1. 5 x Strict Pullups (3 sec up/3 sec down)
2. 6 x Wall Walks
3. 15 x Pressup
4. Rest

Good fun this, was fine with the pullups and the pressups but kept to 4 reps of the wall walks.

5 x 3 Push Press @ 90%
Every 2:00

Did slightly below my 90% and lifted 80Kg. Happy with it as it definitely felt like a push in the final rounds.

4 x 15 Bent Over Row (Pick your weight)
Every 2:00

Did this at 40Kg, was ok for the first 2 sets then 13 reps in set 3 and only 11 in the last set. An exercise we don't do very often but it was nice to get done!

Finished off with some ring and bar muscles ups. Keeping my eye in!

Associate
OP
Yesterday was a good workout. A repeat from April 2017, unfortunately I did not record it but I know what kind of level I was at.

WOD1 5:00

30 x Front Squat (35Kg)
30 x Push Press
30 x Hang Power Cleans

Athlete standard was to go unbroken.

Managed to go unbroken for the whole lot and post a time of 2:45. Very happy with that as I am sure I did not manage that last April.

15:00 - Max Weight Complex

3 x Deadlift
1 x Hang Squat Clean
2 x Jerk
5 x Front Squat

Tasty complex this one, still not feeling 100% but gave it my best shot and did 90Kg. Had one attempt at 100Kg and failed on the first jerk! Moving well and always love moving weight.

WOD2 10:00

3 Rounds

10 x Wall Facing Handstand Pressups
20 x Russian KB Twists (16Kg)
2 x Ring Pullups
1 x Ring Muscleup
3 x Ring Dips

Some firsts for me in this one. Never done wall facings before, and not completed a ring muscle up during a workout. The wall facers were good, mucho shoulder burn by round 3! Ring work was where I got a little nervous, the pullups were not an issue. I got all 3 ring muscle ups, with only 1 failed attempt and the dips were horrid but got them all.

Training is going well, still a slow start to 2018 as I am yet to shake this tickling cough which is definitely affecting my sleep and obvious has knock on effects. Just need to make sure not to overtrain or push myself too hard.

Associate
OP
Yesterday was Team Workout, it was fun.

50:00
Team of 3

3Km Row
150 x Wallballs
50 x Rope Climbs
150 x Wallballs
3Km Row

Great workout, no major issues. Did extra rope climbs to give my team members more of a rest as they have started to become a bit more of a specialty for me. My efficiency is definitely getting much better.

We finished in 47:43!

Associate
OP
Had a good barbell club session this morning. Not done Clean + Jerks for a while so it was good to get back to them.

15:00 Max Weight

Complex of:

1 x Clean
2 x Front Squat
1 x Jerk

Went through this quite nicely and built up and hit 105Kg for the complex. Only 7.5Kg off my Clean + Jerk 1RM.

12:00 EMOM @ 80% of the above.

1 x Clean
1 x Front Squat
1 x Jerk

Did all my reps at 82.5Kg. Felt good, the front squat really does make the jerk wobbly. Again happy with my lifts.

Then "Maintenance" front Squats

Every 3:00

4 x 4 Front Squat @ 80%

Did all my reps at 100Kg. Definitely feeling them after all the work we had done up to this point. Overall a good session.

In other news I should be able to go and support the Head Coach as he is competing in the European Championships in Colchester at the end of the month. Looking forward to going and watching my first competition with some of my friends.

Associate
OP
Conditioning work is well and truly under way!

30:00 Running Clock

10:00
8 Rounds

30 x Double Unders
10 x Wall Balls

5:00 Rest

15:00

20 x Box Jumps (24")
10 x Power Clean (60Kg)
200m Run

This was horrible, especially the second workout. The first was smooth and good fun, I finished that in 8:09 and my double unders felt super good with only 1 or 2 trips through the rounds. Second workout spanked me, legs felt like they had not much go in them (I blame those front squats yesterday) and hit cap with the run and 1 full round left.

4 x 10 Overhead Squat (Snatch Grip) @ 50-70%
Every 2:30

Did all reps at 60Kg and this also wasn't fun. My normal overhead squat hand position is actually narrower than snatch grip so doing large amounts of reps wider than usual felt odd. Post exhaustion training is horrible as well. But survived!

Practiced more ring muscle ups at the end. Managed to reload successfully for the first time. One of the girls video'd me doing it for the second time. Really happy with how these have progressed. Here is the vid for your viewing pleasure.

Associate
OP
So got my Rainhill Trials seeding workouts through! Thought todays session could be doing some of them. Day didn't get off to a good start as I still have this gosh darn cough and it got me up at 2am ruining my nights sleep.

So lumbered into the box and decided to do:

6:00 Ascending ladder

3 x Thrusters (30Kg)
3 x Overbar Burpees
6 x
6 x
9 x
9 x

The thrusters were light, so I thought this was going to be sweet. I was wrong, it just meant I was moving quicker for 6:00 whilst trying not to die. Managed 13 thrusters in the round of 18. Which I am really happy about, but my word did it hurt.

Max rep pullups 1:00

Managed 35 pullups in the minute, also happy with this. But suddenly started feeling really queezy and light headed. This is never a good sign so stopped and went home for food.

Couple of hours on I am feeling like death. So glad to be working nights tonight :mad:

Associate
OP
Yes, today has been the first day I have felt properly sapped of strength. More than likely I will take it easy tomorrow, if not the rest of the week.

Very hard to stop myself going in to train!

Associate
OP
Apart from training Friday I have been resting, visiting family and getting back to 100%. Fingers crossed back to a full training schedule this week.

Friday was:

10:00 EMOM

1. 20 sec chin over bar hold + 10 sec dead hang.
2. 40 sec handstand hold.

Managed to complete all rounds. Chin over bars got a bit touch and go in minutes 7 and 9!

20:00 Team Workout. AMRAP

I go, You go

3 x Squat Snatch (52.5Kg)
15 x Hollow Rocks
30 x Double Unders
3 x Squat Snatch

This was a good workout. Coach said he wanted beautiful technique, which is always hard to deliver when you are trying to go as quickly as possible. But my partner and I put 10 rounds and 43 reps on the board. Happy with that! Then strung together 2 more sets of 2 ring muscle ups.

Associate
OP
Fast forward to today, just signed up for the Crossfit Open.

Looking forward to it, wanting to put in some good performances and finish as high up in the UK as possible!

Associate
OP
All the conditioning this evening.

WOD 1 4:00

30 20 10 - Situps
10 20 30 - Air Squats

Fun warmup, got the blood pumping. Finished in 3:22.

WOD 2 13:00

5 Rounds

7 x Thrusters (60Kg)
6 x Strict Pullups
30 x Double Unders

WOD 3 14:00
AMRAP

8 x Kettlebell swings (32Kg)
8 x Burpees
8 x Box Jumps (24")

WOD 2 was a good one, was hoping to go sub 10:00 but only just missed it and posted 10:11. My double unders are getting quite solid which is always good! WOD 3 was a grind, one of those workouts where you just have to keep moving. Did 7 rounds and 4 reps, and happy with that.

Mentally feeling good and happy, really looking forward to dedicating myself to training fully.

Associate
OP
Haha WOD 3 was worse for me, I strangely enjoyed 2! :eek:

Today was some strength and more conditioning

15:00
5RM Back Squat

So this was good, except I courted controversy again :D. Completed 120Kg with no issues, but knew 130Kg would be a push. Completed 130Kg (or so I thought) partner said all reps were good, coach said last 2 were borderline. So I went again, and had to ditch the bar on the 4th rep as the legs were spent, o well!

WOD 18:00

400m Run cash in
50 x Burpees
40 x Wallballs
30 x Toes to bar
20 x Hand release pushups
10 x Squat Cleans (70Kg)
400m Run cash out

This sucked more than I thought it would, the first half gasses you out just in time to squat clean and final run. Finished in 16:22 and happy with that, could potentially have gone sub 16 if I took less rest on the cleans.

As an aside, got my second pair of NoBulls! Really like these shoes and find them great to train in across all movements that we perform.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I think the workouts are getting worse as the week goes on.

E2MOM

5 x 6 Push Jerk @ 75% (2 second pause in the catch)

Did the first 2 sets at 70Kg and the last 3 at 75Kg. Adding the pause in made these so very much harder, really felt the wobble in the legs and the shoulders working to stabilise the load. Then came the pain....

34:00 Rolling Clock

0:00 - 08:00

15 - 12 - 9
Hang Power Cleans (70Kg)
Strict Pullups

13:00 - 21:00

15 - 12 - 9
Front Squats (70Kg)
Strict Handstand Pressups

26:00 - 34:00

15 - 12 - 9
Shoulders to Overhead (70Kg)
Strict Toes to Bar

The strict movements were really hard in this workout, absolute hell combined with a heavy prescribed weight to move. Managed to finish the first workout in 7:52. The second workout was prescribed as hands on 20kg plates but I scaled it back to no plates as the sheer amount of strict handstand pressups pushes me way beyond what I can hold on and do. Hit cap with 23 reps left, so didn't quite finish the 12 stricts. Major fatigue had set in by the time the last workout was underway, managed to finish the sets of 12 before hitting cap.

We have not done so much strict bodyweight work in a while and it really is tough, but it is all part of getting us ready for the open.

Back
Top Bottom