Jesters* Crossfit Journey

Associate
OP
^^ Definitely give it a go. Try and keep a good standard for yourself as well as locking the arms out when you jump, fatigue does make it hard though, but its all about good standards and staying consistent.

WOD 6:00

80 x Air Squats
50 x Situps
12 x Strict Pullups

Good warmup workout, air squats started to burn around the 60 mark. Completed in 4:40.

15:00 to set 5RM Back squat

Lifted every 5 minutes to set 80Kg, 100Kg then 110Kg. There was more in there but not huge amounts more and as I knew what was about to come there was no point pushing it too hard....

4 x 10 Back squat @ 70% of the 5RM above.
EVery 3:00

Went slightly heavier and did all my sets at 80Kg. Last set really felt quite tasty.

Overall a nice shift from large amounts of cardio to some more strength work. Fingers crossed that continues!

Associate
OP
Free time Friday's again!

With my Rainhill seeding workouts still outstanding I decided to tick off one of the lifting ones in the 30 mins free time.

3RM Deadlift

Deadlift is up there with Bench Press as my least favourite lifts. My previous 1RM was 168Kg so I was expecting 140Kg or so and I would be happy. In fact I breezed passed that milestone, and put up 150Kg for 3 and it felt much easier than 140. Decided to go for 160Kg and much to my surprise that also went up, but was getting close to hitting my limit so stopped at that point. Will have to retest the 1RM soon, as I should easily go between 170-180 now I reckon.

Team WOD 30:00

Teams of 3

5KM Row

100 x Wallballs
100 x Box Jumps
100 x Dumbell Snatch (22.5Kg - Each Arm - 200 total reps)
100 x Toes to Bar

1 person rowing, whilst the other 2 complete the movements. Change around whenever you want.

Great fun this one, I am comfortable on the rower and we broke that down into 500m section, I held a 1:50-1:55 pace throughout. Wallballs and box jumps passed without major bother. Dumbell snatches are just awkward and take ages but it was good practice again for the open. Forearms were paying for it on the toes to bar. We finished in 23:17.

Soldato
Good work - need to update my Deadlifts as it's been a while as well.

That team wod looks decent - I like the rower and can pace it well.

Associate
OP
Definitely a fun team WOD and rower is one of my best bits of kit.

Smaller training day today, I popped in to do more of my Rainhill seeding workouts.

Viking Diane - For Time

3 Rounds

20 x Cal Row
20 x Box Jumps (24")
20 x Wallballs

This was hard on the legs, getting off the rower straight into box jumps was the killer. I wanted to go sub 10:00 as in my head I thought I could do at least 1 minute per exercise if I stayed consistent. I managed 9:09 so extremely happy, Had to break the second set of wallballs as they clipped some plastic on the way down and almost smashed me in the face otherwise I don't think I could have gone that much faster.

Max Reps Toes to Bar - 1:00

Hit 30 reps on the nose here. Forearms pumped up massively but held onto the rig longer than I ever have done and kept going for about 35 seconds.

Night shift tonight but taking a day off tomorrow to rest. Been a hard week of training.

Associate
OP
Monday post night shift training. The first workout dictated the feels for the rest of the session.

12:00 EMOM

1. 10m Walking Lunge (22.5Kg Dumbell Each Hand Overhead)
2. 10 x Burpee Box Overs
3. 15 x Cal Row

Yea this was bad. Managed 2 round of the walking lunges before the stabilising of the dumbells became almost impossible overhead. Managed to hit the burpees and cal row each round. The brain felt very frazzled after this.

5 x 3 Front Squat @ 1RM Clean
Every 2:30

So this should have been at around 115Kg but I really wasn't feeling it today and did 105Kg for all my sets.

EMOM 5:00

1 x Power Clean
2 x Hang Squat Cleans

Weight @ 80% of Clean

I went a tiny bit under my 80% and went at 90Kg. Always the second hang clean being the hardest rep of the 3, fingers in slightly the wrong positions and really having to get that hip contact to make the rep. Glad its done, fingers crossed I get a good nights sleep tonight.

Associate
OP
Do you hook grip for most of your bar work??

A good 90% of my lifting is using hook grip! It just allows such a great level of control.

I hook grip when I drive these days... I'd imagine at 90KG it's required! That's a top effort on the EMON, are you allowed to drop the bar?

During office hours we can only drop bars from the hip. Which when going heavy, controlling it down is a right git :D

Associate
OP
It is a noise thing. The units either side don't like the clanging of barbells.

The amusing thing is they moved in after the box was set up, they should have known what they were getting in for!

Associate
OP
Tough day at the box today.

WOD1 6:00

4 Rounds

15 x Kettlebell Swings (24Kg)
15 x Down Ups

A nice warmup to get the heart racing. Went unbroken on the swings each round and kept a good pace with the downups to finish in 5:21

4 x 12 High Pulls (Pick your own weight)

Into

4 x 20 Underhand Bent Over Rows

Set myself up with 35Kg for the first movement but failed to hit 12 reps in rounds 3/4 without putting the bar down. Then dropped it down to 30Kg for the rows. The forearm pump was monstrous and sucked.

WOD2 20:00

Modified Open Workout 17.1

10 x Wallballs
15 x Burpee Box Overs
20 x Wallballs
15 x Box Overs
30 x
15 x
40 x
15 x
50 x
15 x

Yea this sucked, almost as bad as when I did it last year in the Open. A big weakness for me are these chipper style workouts that are all focused on the gas tank. I managed to hit 224 reps and hit cap with 11 Burpee Box Overs left, then decided to lay on my back for a good 5 minutes trying not to die.

As a side note, one of our members is about to embark on the Iditasport Impossible marathon, 1100 miles across Alaska within 35 days unaided and was interviewed by BBC South East today. The crazy man completed the 400m Yukon Challenge last year. It is humbling when you get to train with people that do extraordinary things and take it for granted week in week out.

Associate
OP
Today was much more suited to me than previous days!

WOD Open Workout 14.1

AMRAP 10:00

30 x Double Unders
10 x Power Snatch (35Kg)

This was a good workout for me, my double unders were unbroken apart from 1 round where I tripped twice. Power snatch in the first and last rounds were unbroken but otherwise I split them into 5/5. I hit 7 rounds + 10 reps.

EMOM 10:00

Handstand Pressups (You pick reps to maintain for 10:00 - RX on 20Kg Plates)

I wanted to stick at 7 reps per min, and managed to do that for 4 rounds. But the shoulder burn hit and had to drop it down to 5 reps for the last 6 rounds.

EMOM 12:00

1. 8 x Barbell Rollouts
2. 15 x V - Situps
3. 12 x Pushups

Some sweet ab work here. Hit all the reps each round.

Today I also had my monthly session with the Sports Therapist. She gave me a good going over, starting with the glutes and working up the back and shoulders, then calves and finishing with my quads. Using a combination of massage and cupping.

Feeling good in myself and looking forward to next week and the start of the Open!

Soldato
I'm still not 100% on whether I should enter the open or not. Obviously scaled for me but even some of those workouts from last year scare me!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Associate
OP
Another enjoyable Open workout today.

WOD Open Workout 12.3

18:00 AMRAP

15 x Box Jumps (24")
12 x Push Press (52.5Kg)
9 x Toes to Bar

Not much to say except pacing was everything on this one. 18 minutes is a long time to keep moving for so I broke the reps up from the start. Push press was done in 6's and the Toes to Bar were in a 5/4 split. Hit 7 rounds +12 reps, which I am happy with. I feel that I went as fast as I could without putting myself right on the red line early.

12:00 EMOM

1. 8 x Chest to Bar
2. 10 x Box Dips
3. Hand release Pressups

So much chest over the past couple of days meant this was getting quite tasty. Did 2 rounds of the chest to bar before I noticed I had a blood blister looking close to ripping so I substituted for some hollow rocks. Box dips were solid and hit all reps every round and same with the pressups.

Free time Friday tomorrow! Last one before we kick off the fun.

Associate
OP
Free time Friday!

Completed the last of my Rainhill Trials seeding. 1 min max effort handstand pressups and 1 min ring muscle ups. 21 and 3, not happy with the muscle ups today

WOD 15:00

Open Workout 15.5

27 - 21 - 15 - 9

Cal Row
Thrusters (42.5Kg)

Did this workout last year and it took about 13 mins. Wanted to get as close to 10 mins as possible this time, and set 10:36. Very happy with that as this workout fully sucks and is a full on slog.

Tomorrow will be a well earned rest day before a cheeky bit of barbell club Sunday.

Soldato
Free time Friday!

Completed the last of my Rainhill Trials seeding. 1 min max effort handstand pressups and 1 min ring muscle ups. 21 and 3, not happy with the muscle ups today

WOD 15:00

Open Workout 15.5

27 - 21 - 15 - 9

Cal Row
Thrusters (42.5Kg)

Did this workout last year and it took about 13 mins. Wanted to get as close to 10 mins as possible this time, and set 10:36. Very happy with that as this workout fully sucks and is a full on slog.

Tomorrow will be a well earned rest day before a cheeky bit of barbell club Sunday.

great time - well done. HATE Thrusters.

Associate
OP
Thanks! It was tough, and I don't think anyone particularly enjoys thrusters :D

Today was Barbell Club, getting to chuck around some weight without the cardio!

5 x 5 Squat Cleans @ 85/90%
Every 4:00

Meant to be heavy, so no touch and go reps. Started at 90Kg, then 3 sets at 95Kg and finishing with a 100Kg set. Happy with all of them, felt good through the movement.

5 x 3 Split Jerks @ 80/85%
Every 2:00

Did all 5 sets at 95Kg. Without realising it and upon checking later my 3RM is 97.5Kg! So I did 5 sets at just 2.5Kg below that max. I sense a 100kg 3RM incoming!

6 x 4 Front Squat @ 80%
Every 2:00

I did all 4 sets at 105Kg. Slightly heavier than my 80%. These were tough but got all of them. Been a heavy morning, but do enjoy working with a barbell.

Submitted my scores for Rainhill seeding. I will know by next Sunday which division I will be competing in!

Associate
OP
Started to slightly de load this week just to make sure no injuries happen before the Open kicks off.

WOD 12:00 AMRAP (lol)

150 x Wallballs
90 x Double Unders
30 x Ring Muscle Ups

150 wallballs is a named Crossfit workout called Karen, I managed to get within 20 seconds of my PB time and came off the wallballs at 8:26 to move onto the double unders. With the shoulders not really working properly the double unders were a mission but finished those by 10:46 and managed to get 3 ring muscle ups before hitting the cap.

4 x 15 Bench Press @ 50%
Every 3:00

Did all my reps at 45Kg and happy with that. Didn't over do it, as bench takes it out of me usually!

4 x 15 Shoulders to Overhead (Pick your weight - Dumbells)
Every 2:30

As with the bench press I went lighter on the weight and used 15Kg dumbells and kept the reps smooth and fast with push press.

Associate
OP
Quite a technical session today.

Snatch EMOM - Singles
12:00

0 - 3:00 @ 60%
3 - 6:00 @ 70%
6 - 9:00 @ 75%
9 - 12:00 @ 80%

Really enjoyed this, but snatch is one of my favourite lifts. Kept the numbers straightforward as the class was busy, 55/60/65/70Kg. All the reps felt good and smooth, with the occasional step forward after the catch.

WOD 21:00 Rolling Clock

7:00 AMRAP

6 x Thrusters (60Kg)
12 x Chest to Bar
24 x Pistol Squats (12 Each Leg)
48 x Double Unders

7:00 Rest

7:00 AMRAP

12 x Burpees
10 x Box Jumps (24")
8 x Deadlift (120Kg)

These workouts were tough, the first one was a technical one. My pistol squats always slow me down but I managed 1 round + 31 reps, did the 2 sets of 6 thrusters unbroken which is a big confidence boost as we all hate heavy thrusters. The final worokout was gassy, with a side helping of heavy deadlifts to contend with. I managed 2 rounds + 28 reps, just 2 deadlifts short of finishing that third round. All in all happy with the days work as some of these movements are not the best for me.

Back
Top Bottom