Jesters* Crossfit Journey

Associate
OP
Been a difficult week for me this week. Monday didn't start well!

Benchmark

36:00 EMOM - 9 Rounds

1. 10 x Burpee Box Jumps (30")
2. 15 x Wallballs (20lb)
3. 25 x Double Unders + 8 Toes to Bar
4. Rest

Athletes - No Rest Minute - 12 Rounds

Having never attempted this at the athlete standard I knew it was going to be bad. I managed 3 rounds then failed on the 4th round of burpee box jumps so dropped down to standard RX and to include the rest minute.

Then things went wrong, I had an incident with the box, on the first round of burpee box jumps and cracked just below my left knee cap and that was me out for the count. Bleeding and swelled up like a good'un.

Associate
OP
Still turned up to train Tuesday. Knee was still quite swollen but upper body was perfectly fine.

Benchmark #11

5 x 5 Deadlift @ 70/80%
Every 2:00

Did all my sets at 140Kg and felt good. A 2.5Kg improvement over 6 months ago.

WOD 30:00

100 x Wallballs
50 x Cleans (60Kg)
100 x Wallballs
50 x Cleans
100 x Wallballs

*Cleans could be squat or power*

So I thought I would give this a go, did the first set of 100 wallballs and then started the cleans. After about 15 reps I indicated to the coach that I wasn't happy with how the knee was feeling and pulled out of the workout and moved myself instead to.

AMRAP

50 x Strict Press (20Kg Bar)
10 x Bar Muscle Ups

Had about 15 minutes left on the clock and completed 2 rounds and 55 reps.

Associate
OP
Today was the only chance I was going to get to do my TEC Mixed Pairs 18.3 as I am getting my eyes lasered on Friday and taking about a week off.

It turned out to be a really fun workout, however I definitely wished I didn't do muscle ups yesterday!

WOD 20:00

100 x Wallballs (9kg male / 6kg female)
100 x Double Unders
80 x Cal Row
80 x Double Unders
60 x Pistol Squats
60 x Double Unders
40 x Box Overs (24")
40 x Double Unders
20 x Bar Muscle Ups
20 x Double Unders

*Tie break time after finishing 40 x double unders*

This really was great fun, I have enjoyed doing all the mixed pair workouts. We were moving well and got through the work well, my knee has almost completely recovered and swelling has dropped right down so I was able to pistol. Got through to the tiebreak at 15:53.

Now the tricky part was the minor fact my partner cannot do bar muscle ups, soooooo I had 4 minutes to try and get through 20 of them. Amazingly I managed to do sets of 4 and gave my partner about 15-20 seconds to get as many double unders before cap, she hit 7. So our final score was cap + 13. If she was able to muscle up we would have completed the workout in around 18 minutes.

Both of my palms have ripped, but 45 bar muscle ups in 2 days will do that to your hands. So I may well not train tomorrow and start my week off early.

Booked in with sports therapist Monday for my maintenance massage.

Associate
OP
So its been over a week. Had my Laser eye surgery Friday 22nd and apart from coming in to see the therapist I strictly adhered to the 7 days rest post op.

First workout back was yesterday and a nice little pairs workout.

WOD 40:00

30 x Clean + Jerk (60Kg)
1 Mile Run
60 x Chest to Bar
800m Run
90 x Box Jumps (24")
400m Run
120 x Hand Release Pushup

Felt really strong on the clean and jerks. Was going touch and go sets of 5 as we were able to power clean and push jerk. The mile run went surprisingly well and was going at a good pace. Butterflying my C2B's in minimum sets of 5 again. But the 800m run really started to hit me (I blame the heat) and the box jumps were harder than expected, mainly down to the fact that with my "new" eyes the focal point has changed slightly which makes jumping onto a box a bit harder! Finally the HR pushups became a slog around the 80 rep mark. We finished in 31:59

Overall very happy with my first workout back and finished off with a good stretch with ROMWOD.

Not going to rush back into balls out training, just to make sure I give my eyes time to keep healing. But my usual intensity will resume within the next week or so.

Associate
OP
Threw around a bar at barbell club on Sunday.

15:00

Every 30 seconds

10 x Snatch @ 60%
10 x Snatch @ 70%
10 x Snatch @ 80%

All the snatches! Have been using a slightly wider grip recently, couple of cm if that. Which is really helping with the connection with the hip. The weights went 55, 62.5, 70Kg. Failed the first rep of the 62.5 and 70Kg but every other one was solid and felt very good.

3:00

5 x 3 Split Jerk @ 70/80%
5 second pause in the catch

So I did the first 4 sets at 80Kg but really wasn't feeling very happy with the drop under the bar and the explosivity of the movement. So for the last set I dropped down to 70Kg and had much better movement. Unsure as to why I was not hooking it up in the first 4 sets as the weight is well within my comfort zone. Oh well, no time for ego lifting so dropping the weight was definitely the right call.

Associate
OP
Monday work, damn the heat makes training feel so intense.

WOD 1

16:00 EMOM

1. 18 Cal Bike
2. 20 x Strict Press (10 EA 22.5Kg Dumbell)
3. 12 x Kettlebell Alternating Lunge (32Kg - 6 EA)
4. Rest

This was bad, so so so so so bad. The cal bike went something like this 18/15/12/10 just died off so quickly. The strict press was murder and also dropped off massively through the rounds. The kettlebell lunges I did at 24Kg because I wanted to avoid crushing my head but got the 12 reps each round at that weight.

WOD 2 9:00
3 Rounds

200m Run
18 x Shoulder Taps (While in a handstand)
9 x Toes to Bar

As I am not going upside down my scale for the taps was while in the plank position opposite arm to opposite leg were lifted off the floor. Finished in 7:13.

3 x 10 Halting Deadlifts (@50% of 1RM)
Every 3:00

Halting deadlifts meant that the bar doesn't tap the floor between reps. So we were under tension for that little bit longer. Did all 3 sets at 80Kg as by this point I was getting quite fatigued!

Associate
OP
Tuesday fun, slightly cooler at 9:30 this morning which was a blessing.

6:00 Rolling Clock

3 x 40 sec Deadhang - 20 sec Rest

Straight into

3 x 40 sec Handstand Hold - 20 sec Rest

Still not going upside down, I had to do banded planks. Would definitely rather have been doing the handstand holds as I am quite fond of them! But managed all the work.

WOD 14:00

60 x Alternating Jumping Lunges
40 x Russian Kettlebell Swings (32Kg)
20 x Pushups
10 x Strict Chest to Bar Pullups
800m Run

Then back up in reverse order.

Oh this was fun, was skeptical as to how well I was going to do as it has been a while since I have done strict C2B's. But I need not have worried so much! The jumping lunges were....pretty grim but I knew they were going to be. The russian swings were broken up into 2 x 20 rep sets. The pushups went 10/5/5 and the chest to bars were all singles and were strong, felt very good while doing them. The run was a case of surviving, but got that done and back in at around the 9:00 mark to get back on the rig for the C2B's again. Worked all the way through to cap and completed 15 of the alternating jumping lunges. So cap + 45 was my end result.

Then E2MOM

3 x 10 Overhead Squat @ 60%

The way I was feeling I though the 60% was going to be a little bit of a push so I opted for 50% which was definitely the right call. Did all reps at 50Kg and definitely felt disgusting at the end. Clean grip for the squats is still working out for me, which shows my mobility remains good.

Associate
OP
Athletes Wednesday

Rainhill Summer Workouts were tested as one of the team is competing next week.

30:00 to warm up to 80/90% of Hang Squat Clean

5:00 to set 5RM Hang Squat Clean

5:00 Rest

9:00
3 Rounds

200m Run
10 x Shoulders to Overhead (70Kg)
50 x Double Unders

Had fun with this, the WOD was actually waaaaay worse than I expected. Completed the 5RM with 96Kg, felt I could have gone heavier as the lifts were comfortable but decided to just stick with the lifts I had done. Finished the WOD in 8:56. My double unders went completely to pot, fatigued double unders are horrible. Did the shoulders to overhead unbroken though which I was pleased with!

Associate
OP
Thursday session.

5 x 3 Front Squat - 3 Sec Pause - @80%

Did all my sets at 90Kg. Should have been closer to the 100Kg but that pause on the front squat is bad news bears. So played it a bit safer and I am glad I did, the last set felt pretty bad!

9:00 EMOM

1. 40 sec Left Plank Hold
2. 40 sec Right Plank Hold
3. 30 x Hollow Rocks

All the abs! Felt good and completed all the reps.

WOD 10:00
3 Rounds

1 minute front squat hold - 35Kg
15 x Situps
12 x Candlesticks
9 x Toes to Bar

So this continued the core work, holding the front squat for a minute was tasty, fighting the urge to ditch the bar! Didn't have too many issues with the rest of the movements and finished only just within the cap at 9:46.

Associate
OP
Been a busy few days, what with my fridge freezer dying on the hottest day of the year! But here is a triple update.

Monday

20:00 EMOM

1. 18 Cal Bike
2. 8 x Handstand Push Up (Deficit)
3. 3 x Rope Climbs
4. Rest

Hard, very hard. Speaking to the coach after this session he has started programming workouts that are barely achieveable for even the fittest of us. To ensure max work rate is maintained throughout the whole workout. Managed 2 rounds of 18 cals then had to drop it back to 15. The deficit I managed on the handstands was 2 x 20Kg plates and 1 x 15Kg plate stacked on each side, 4 reps a round. Rope climbs started at 2 in a minute but fell back to just the one as I started to burn out.

Bench Press

E2MOM

2 x 8 @ 70%

Then 10:00 Rolling Clock

5 x 1 @ Max Load (Avoiding failed reps)

This went really well and I broke my bench PB! 2 sets of 8 I completed at 65Kg. Then the load lifts went as follows 75/80/85/90/96.5!

Really happy to hit this post exhaustion.

Associate
OP
Tuesday.

Warm Up - 3 Rounds (5:00)

100m Run
15m Bear Crawl
20 Second "Active Shoulders" Dead hang
30 x Star Jumps

Really fun little warm up, got it all done in 4:16. No real race or urgency as it was just the warm up.

5 x 4 Power Clean @85%

Hook Grip + Touch and Go
Every 2:30

Did 2 sets at 90, 2 sets at 95 and final set was 100Kg. About 2Kg below my 85%.

WOD

Every 5:00 for 15:00

400m Run
20 x Alt DB Snatch (22.5Kg)
40 x Push Ups
5 x Bar Muscle Ups

Another one of the almost impossible workouts. My best round was the first round as I made it to 35 of the pushups before resetting and going again. The next 2 rounds was 19 then 20 pushups before hitting the 5:00 cap. Hard hard workout. Chest was in bits after it.

Associate
OP
Wednesday. Post night shift training, feeling sluggish and just wanted to move well.

Warm Up - 3 Rounds 7:00

10 x Down ups
15 x Snatch Balance - PVC Pipe
2 x Wall Walks
1:00 Rest

Now many people are getting too competitive even during the warm up. I am not one to rush the warm up in search of a good time, so I took my time. Focused on breathing before the snatch balance and the drop. Had 2 wall walks left when the 7:00 hit.

Overhead Squat

3 x 20 @ 50%

Did all 3 sets at my 50% which was 50Kg. Hard work on the shoulders but finished strong.

WOD 10:00

4 Rounds

25 x Weighted Situps (15Kg Dumbell)
1:00 Extended Arm Plank

Rest 3:00

50 x Plate Jumps
150 x Double Unders

Yea this didn't go amazingly. The weighted situps were, straight arm dumbell hold while carrying out the situp. This felt brutal and I finished 2 rounds + 3 reps, not brilliant but hey, kept working. Then the plate jumps blew the calves up and the double unders felt absolutely rubbish. Shoulders fatigued and calves that wanted to cramp, hit 113 DU when the cap came around.

Associate
OP
A good Thursday session.

Warm Up 6:00

10 - 9 - 8 - 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1

Sumo Deadlift (40kg)
Frog Jumps

A nice warm up finished in 4:51 and a good smooth pace.

Deadlift 4 x 8 @ 70%

Every 2:30 Hook Grip + Touch and Go

Did all my sets at 120Kg and felt good. Reps 6/7/8 were always going to be the hardest reps with the grip threatening to go.

WOD 6 Rounds
16:00

20 x Dumbell Alt Overhead Lunge (22.5Kg - 10 reps each arm)
4 x Strict Pullups
8 x Toes to Bar
1:00 Rest

Tough on the grip. The forearm pump by the end of this was unreal. Managed to go unbroken for all the toes to bar, broke the strict pullups in rounds 5/6 as the shoulders were starting to get toasted. Finished in 13:08.

Associate
OP
Last training session of the week for me today as I am heading back to see family this weekend.

Team workout Fridays!

1Km Best Effort Partner Row

As there were not enough rowers this became....1KM Ski Erg. Oh that definitely got the lats fired up. Finished in 3:50.

WOD 30:00 Teams of 2

AMRAP

8 x Thrusters (60Kg)
6 x Rope Climbs
11 x Box Jumps (30")

*1 Partner is doing a 400m 20Kg plate carry while the other works through the AMRAP - Swap round when you finish the 400m*

Coach named this workout "Soul Breaker" whilst not the most gassy workout I have done. The constant pace and relentless movement definitely made you want to quit. Heavy thrusters and rope climbs....blerg. We managed 5 rounds dead.

Associate
OP
Back from a weekend with the family and training began for the week.

Seeing as it was stupidly hot yesterday, thankfully there was no super duper cardio programmed.

2 Rounds

10 x Air Squat
10 x Alt Jumping Lunges
10 x Squat Jumps

2 Rounds

15 x Hollow Rocks
15 x Supermans
15 x Clapping Pushups

Not that we needed much help getting warm, this was still a good warm up. Finished in 4:41.

Back Squat 6 x 4 @ 85%

So going by the programmed percentages I should have been doing about 127.5Kg. But while warming up and squatting 120Kg it became immediately obvious that 6 x 4 at 120Kg was not on the cards as just 2 reps felt uncomfortably heavy. Dropped the weight down to 110Kg and did the first 2 sets here, then upped the weight to 115Kg for the last 4. That was definitely the sweet spot for me.

Complex/Unbroken - 10:00 EMOM

1 x Power Clean
1 x Squat Clean
1 x Jerk
1 x Front Squat

RX Weight 70Kg

This was a very comfortable weight for me. Each round I completed the complex within 15-20 seconds giving me plenty of rest before the next lift. Technique was good all the way through with no wobbly reps.

Associate
OP
Mixed session today. A bit disappointed with how it went but that is how it goes sometimes.

1 - 2- 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10

Down Ups
Wall Ball Cleans

I managed to mess up the warm up and did the round of 6 twice, oh well more reps is good reps right :D

Deadlift 3 x 15 @ 50%
Every 2:30

3:00 Rest

Deadlift 2 x 5 @ 80%

Hook Grip + Touch and Go

This felt quite good, programming has started to state no belts and no mixed grip at the moment. Not that its an issue for me as I never belt up unless I am at 95% and up in certain lifts. Did all sets of 15 at 85Kg and 135Kg for the sets of 5.

WOD 20:00

80 x Wallballs (20lb)
60 x Box Jumps (24")
40 x Kettlebell Swings (32Kg)
60 x Box Jumps
80 x Wallballs

This went not as well as I thought. Got through to cap and had 60 wallballs remaining. The box jumps really did not go well, my legs after the previous days squats just did not seem to want to work very well and I lost all of my bounce and rhythem. So I do feel a little disappointed but that is just part of training. Go home, eat and sleep and get back to it tomorrow morning.

Associate
OP
The leg battering continued Wednesday. But not until the very end.

30 - 20 - 10
Hollow Rocks
15 - 10 - 5
Thrusters (20Kg Bar)

Got the blood pumping and the legs screaming from the off. Finished in 2:24.

Triple WOD 18:00 Clock

WOD1 00:00 - 06:00

21 - 15 - 9
Handstand Pushups (20Kg Plates)
Candlesticks

WOD2 06:00 - 12:00

9 - 15 - 21
Hang Power Cleans (60Kg)
Pullups

WOD3 12:00 - 18:00
AMRAP

9 x Shoulders to Overhead (60Kg)
24 x Pistols (12 Each Leg)

This triple WOD got a bit hardcore quickly. WOD1 was difficult to finish, I didn't even make it to the round of 9's with 5 candlesticks left in the round of 15. WOD2 was right up my street and I cycled the barbell well and kept consistent on the pullups to finish in 5:42, a whole 18 seconds before cap :D. Then came the bad bit, shoulders to overhead was pretty blerg after the previous work and my pistols were absolutely horrendous. I could barely stand up the reps and fell over numerous times. It was a hellish 6 minutes and only completed 17 pistols. My poor legs, send help.

Associate
OP
Was desperately praying for no legs today. That plan got ruined. Thanks coach.

Overhead Squat

3 x 15 @ 50%

3:00 Rest

2 x 5 @ 80%

Holy moly that was not fun. 2:00 really is not a lot of time to get your 15 reps in and rest before going again. Reps 4/5 of the 80% were highly emotional and every fibre of my being wanted to drop that bar. Thankfully I did not. Weights were 50Kg for the sets of 15 and 80Kg for the sets of 5.

WOD 12:00 EMOM

1. 12 x Power Snatch (40Kg)
2. 5 x Strict Pullups + 7 Toes to Bar
3. 25 x Double Unders + 1 x Rope Climb
4. 18 Cal Assault Bike

I looked at this and instantly knew with no rest between the bike and power snatches I was never going to complete all the reps. Heck even 18 cals on the bike was not going to happen. Hit the 12 snatches in the first round, then in rounds 2/3 it was about 6. Complete all the reps each round for the pullups/toes to bar and double unders/rope climb. Feeling very positive after today, after a negative last few days of training. Feeling like I should be performing better than I have been.

Associate
OP
Team WOD Fridays. Was good fun and harder than I thought it was going to be.

30:00 Teams of 2
3 Rounds

30 x Overhead Squat
30 x Hang Power Cleans
30 x Shoulders to Overhead
30 x Back Squat
30 x Deadlift
30 x Bar hop Burpees

RX = 42.5KG
ARX = 50Kg

So myself and my partner went the athlete RX and got down to business. This is definitely my kind of workout, all the barbell with a sprinkling of burpees at the end. We finished in 29:03 which was definitely a solid time. I did end up doing more of the cleans and shoulders to overhead but that is my strength.

Had my monthly visit to the sports therapist. She saw to a few of my niggles, primarily my right forearm and wrist being much tighter than my left side. Worked all through my chest, back and neck along with my arms and finished with hot cupping to promote better blood flow in these areas.

Decided to drop my coach a message and ask for a sit down to discuss how best I can move my training to improve CV endurance as it is lacking far behind my barbell and gymnastic abilities. So I might have some engine building training coming soon.....which will be hell.

Back
Top Bottom