Job advertisements, Why do they do it!

Soldato
Anyone else notice lately, With job vacancy advertisements that the majority of them now seem to forget to list the crucial parts?

Like how many hours the vacancy is, And most importantly the wage!

I know you can simply email them and ask, But why miss out the crucial info the first place?
its as if "We will tell you what's expected of you for the job" but we will leave you guessing the rest that's important to you :cry:

And nobody likes to ask what the wage is during an interview!

What's your thoughts guys? :o

Man of Honour
It's a pain but it's almost certainly done to suck people and open up the communications to some extent. I also wouldn't go all the way through to an interview without already knowing what I'm being offered.

Soldato
No salary up front ****** me right off. If you're going to make me do 27 hours of interviews and preparation for presentations and ****, and then low ball me with some **** less than I'm on now, you're wasting my time. More should be done to put this upfront in my opinion.

Soldato
It's true. Well, maybe not "nobody", but certainly a lot don't. I want to know what sort of salary range is on the cards before booking an interview, to avoid wasting everyone's time, so would normally discuss with the recruiter beforehand.
And you know the recruiter will be like "well, they'll pay for the right individual" or "they haven't set an amount per say..." but as someone who used to do that, I always come back with, "look, you know you have been given a range for this role. I just want to make sure I'm not wasting both your time and mine from the start. Let me know the range and I'll let you know if it's within my expectations"

Soldato
It's true. Well, maybe not "nobody", but certainly a lot don't. I want to know what sort of salary range is on the cards before booking an interview, to avoid wasting everyone's time, so would normally discuss with the recruiter beforehand.

so you mean ‘find out for the first time’ and not ‘ask what the wage is in interview’

ok

Man of Honour
I understand why you might see it this way, but I see these sort of ads as an absolute win. No public facing salary/conditions information means there's a chance that it's highly negotiable, which is a good thing. It also puts competing candidates off. It might not be as easy as just filtering based on salary etc etc, but oh well. Learn to embrace it I say.

Soldato
I understand why you might see it this way, but I see these sort of ads as an absolute win. No public facing salary/conditions information means there's a chance that it's highly negotiable, which is a good thing. It also puts competing candidates off. It might not be as easy as just filtering based on salary etc etc, but oh well. Learn to embrace it I say.
As long as it is highly negotiable in the end and not a complete waste of time. It is totally an opportunity, as long as that is the case. Yet most larger companies have very specific bands that they will not be able to go above for different roles.

Man of Honour
It might be highly negotiable, but if that only covers the range of "terrible" to "mediocre" it's still no good. Some applications are also highly convoluted, multiple pages of info to fill out (with annoying stuff like picking qualifications from a list that doesn't include your qualification, being forced to enter a GPA or whatever that is irrelevant for UK educated people). You don't want to go through all that and then find it's a waste of time because salary expectations are not aligned.

Additionally, I think the point about "putting candidates off" works both ways. If there is no salary listed, it potentially could attract highly skilled rivals. If there is a salary band posted that is below the expectations of said highly skilled rival, it might put them off. Certainly I dismiss some jobs out of hand because the salary is too low, yet have enquired about jobs that ultimately transpire to have the same or less salary available simply because it wasn't included in the job advert.

Example:
Say this highly skilled rival "Joe" is earning £50k. A job is advertised at £40-50k. They don't apply for it because that's probably a pay cut, breakeven with loss of length of service at best. Job is left for other candidates such as yourself.

Now let's say the same job is advertised without a salary. Joe applies for it because they think maybe they will offer him more money than he gets today. He goes through the interview process and is sold on the organisation and the job. The employer is really impressed because they are a high calibre candidate. Joe says he wants £55k. They realise they don't want to lose a good candidate and go back to the drawing board, so stretch their offer to £52k. Joe accepts the role because it feels like a great fit. Other candidates such as yourself are left crying into their cornflakes.

You can change the numbers above to suit, it's not that important, the point is that including a salary band can be just as off-putting as not including one.

Man of Honour
As long as it is highly negotiable in the end and not a complete waste of time. It is totally an opportunity, as long as that is the case. Yet most larger companies have very specific bands that they will not be able to go above for different roles.

Of course. This is why, as someone else mentioned, you find this out in a one to one conversation with whoever your contact is as early as possible, definitely not relying on waiting until the interview if you have any doubt. Asking this in a non-awkward way is a skill in itself, again something to embrace IMO.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I'm currently in the process of interviewing for a new role. 1 call down, 4 to go... no mention of salary, but I shall be asking during the call with HR.

It does grind my gears that they don't give a range upfront, but I understand why. What I find more annoying are those organisations that want to play a guessing game, when it comes to salary. For instance, you ask "Can I ask what the salary range for this role is?" and they hit you with "What are your salary expectations?".

:mad: you obviously know what you can offer... tbh now I just tell them that I won't leave for less than £x, or you know they'll go in with the lowest offer in any range you give them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
I appreciate circumstances, roles and stages of career are different, but I would not attend any interview without clarity on package. If "competitive" is used to placate I would define what I believe to be competitive and ask them to confirm or disagree. It is the primary question that needs answering for most people so don't shy away from it right at the start before getting into any form of process.

Soldato
Normally any decent recruiter will ask you what your expectations are and let you know whether it's worth going forward. 27 hours of interviews don't just work one way, and companies don't want to waste a load of their time/resource on something that isn't going to be viable at the end just because of one simple variable. There are a myriad of reasons not to advertise an exact salary on a LinkedIn job post, especially if it's a role with a large salary band but you would be interested in a variety of different candidates for different reasons and would pay accordingly.

Of course it does depend on what type of role it is, if it's someone looking for an unskilled job then fine, put the salary in so people can filter it.

Caporegime
Anyone else notice lately, With job vacancy advertisements that the majority of them now seem to forget to list the crucial parts?

Like how many hours the vacancy is, And most importantly the wage!

Well, they've generally not forgotten. If you're looking at salaried work then the hours in a lot of jobs might well be variable, ditto to travel requirements etc.. that's something to speak to the hiring manager or team members (if you meet them) at interview. Your contract will likely be a standard 40 or 37.5 or whatever hours per week one but I'd not rely on that.

The salary has a few reasons some are bad (from employer pov) some are quite legit.

The bad ones are basically related to the fact that often people in similar roles are paid different amounts - the employer might be willing to pay a wide range for the role but if they need to pay X to attract one particular candidate and some existing employees are earning less than X then that could be awkward.

Likewise, some companies will try and base their offer to you on what you're currently earning - this is rather unfair and ideally you want to avoid it.

The more legit reason is that they're genuinely open to looking at candidates with varying levels of experience, sometimes they might find they don't have a candidate who ticks all the requirements but they have a less experienced person who they can train up - an experienced person might have cost them 70k a junior person they need to train might only cost 40k and costs them additional time, isn't going to be productive initially etc.. advertising a range there doesn't necessarily make sense.

And nobody likes to ask what the wage is during an interview!

What's your thoughts guys? :o

Don't ask for the wage during the interview! If you're initially contacted by a recruiter or HR then just ask upfront for the range for the role. If they have a narrow range in mind they ought to be able to tell you, if they're genuinely quite flexible then they could probably tell you that too.

"Can I ask what the salary range for this role is?" and they hit you with "What are your salary expectations?".

:mad: you obviously know what you can offer... tbh now I just tell them that I won't leave for less than £x, or you know they'll go in with the lowest offer in any range you give them.

Yeah, they shouldn't really have an issue in telling you the range generally unless it really is broad and based on your experience, though it also isn't unreasonable to ask your expectations - if you're an experienced hire then you should have some idea of the market and be able to give them a range too.

I'd actually have the opposite view re: offers - you should be more concerned if you've given a range and your offer is the upper bound of the range you gave, you probably gave a range below theirs.

If you're offered something near the min of your wage then you were perhaps more likely in line with them - easy to deal with that one, simply ask for more! Seriously. The vast majority of hiring managers already have authorisation to increase the first offer given to a candidate, they don't want to lose you at that stage over a few grand it's also literally one of the metrics execs look at regularly on their dashboards too - losing candidates at the offer stage, recruitment is costly and they generally don't want that to happen.

Generally though, if you're dealing with an external recruiter or internal HR recruiter they'd try and get the salary thing nailed down early on, these guys want to be able to close the deal soon after the offer and they do that, in part, by not just getting you to state a range but also giving you a figure and asking hypotheticals - like the blatant if you were to be offered X at the end of this process would you accept it, if your current employer came back with a counteroffer what would you do etc.. The end game for them if, if you are given an offer, they've told the hiring manager you're willing to accept X it then becomes awkward for you to even attempt to negotiate when you're offered the figure you said at the begining you'd accept.

Of course, that is what they want you to think, again though hiring managers almost always still have the pre-authorization to offer a bit more (unless you're genuinely pushing past the top of their range already) so the thing to do there is to find some excuse/reason to ask for a bit more regardless - based on some things you've found out during the interview process etc.. (albeit keeping it all positive/enthusiastic).

Obviously, the ideal situation is to have multiple offers then you don't even need an excuse "yes I was happy with X but company B is now talking about offering me Y, would you be prepared to match that?".

If you're a real gambler and quite happy to walk away/potentially blow it and stick in your current job for a bit longer then you could be additionally sneaky and just pretend you're interviewing at a couple of other places and/or have a slightly higher offer so they need to raise theirs a bit as you'd really like to work with them.

Soldato
I got feedback from an initial interview that they didn't like that I asked about the package.
I don't see that I had much choice, they didn't provide the info up-front and it's impossible to decide if you're interested without it.
Complete waste of time.

Associate
One reason to not disclose the wage, is not to ruffle feathers of those currently working there.
There's no bonus for loyalty these days, you're likely starting on more than them.

Soldato
If the salary is not listed I tend to scroll on. If it seems really worthwhile exploring, I will ask and if there is no immediate guide or range, I'm out.

Back
Top Bottom