Job offer - sounding a bit suspicious

Soldato
I might end up troubleshooting a computerised ordering system that is intended for Chinese restaurants here guys (in London) lol! I had no idea contracting can get this sort of $$. I'm in the wrong job!!!

Here was me thinking £130 was low! IT roles will pay much more than that outside of London. My work was offering £400-£450 a day for 3 months cover in my role....nearly quit my job and took the contractor role!

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Others have said what you require, but I'd just like to add in that contracting is not all it's cracked up to be. Don't get me wrong I love contracting, I had an M5 at 25 years old for crying out loud, but the amount of people I've seen laid off without much noticed was ridiculous, and in the current climate it's hard to find work that isn't already outsourced so they were flailing in the wind for quite some time - not something to look to if you have dependents, I would hope that I am financially secure by the time I settle down, but if not then I'd consider going permy if only for securities sake.

Don't know why I went on a random contracting babble, my bad.

Soldato
This. Remember you have to keep yourself afloat between contracts and there will be no sick or annual leave pay.

Exactly. My daily contract rate would be between 1.75 and 2 times my salaried daily rate, to take into account additional benefits (pension, PMI, life cover), holiday & sick pay, and any non working time between contracts. That's based on 160 chargable days per year, anything over that is bonus.

Soldato
Sounds like a standard crap recruiter mail out. I get a ton of these daily. No way I'd do that though, the length of time is too short, and the info given was useless which gives me no confidence in the person in charge of submitting me for the role.

Associate
I might end up troubleshooting a computerised ordering system that is intended for Chinese restaurants here guys (in London) lol! I had no idea contracting can get this sort of $$. I'm in the wrong job!!!

While the initial salary of £130 per day (£650 per week, £33,800 per year) may seem reasonable, it doesn't take into account the transition between contracts, the time spent searching out a contract (Where you are essentially unemployed), and the lack of benefits like paid holidays and other things you won't get if you essentially hop between 6-8 week contracts.

That said, the right person in the right situation can clean up in similar situations :).

Soldato
Others have said what you require, but I'd just like to add in that contracting is not all it's cracked up to be. Don't get me wrong I love contracting, I had an M5 at 25 years old for crying out loud, but the amount of people I've seen laid off without much noticed was ridiculous, and in the current climate it's hard to find work that isn't already outsourced so they were flailing in the wind for quite some time - not something to look to if you have dependents, I would hope that I am financially secure by the time I settle down, but if not then I'd consider going permy if only for securities sake.

Don't know why I went on a random contracting babble, my bad.

I don't quite agree... but my reasoning being that if you go contract, you really have to be flexible in where you are. If you want to go contract but stuck to one geographical location, then you really limit yourself. I'll go anywhere in the world, which allows me to get what I want, really. I mean ideally it would be where I am, but if it's not there I'd follow the work.

We've had perm people laid off in no notice at all. The contractors tend to get longer notice than most perms!

Soldato
£130 a day, no thanks. In London thats desperate on the breadline rates. Its only a 8 week gig so the max you earn is £5,200 minus taxes.

Back
Top Bottom