Jobs in Australia

Associate
I have just graduated from university and have been working for a start up for the lasst few months - I am thinking about emigrating to australia towards the end of the year.
I obviously would like to work there and so not really want to work on a building site - is it easy to get a job if you have a degree and a little bit of experience?

Soldato
Some of my family have moved over there, and apparently it's quite easy to get jobs, and they usually pay a better salary than that of what you'd get in England.

Caporegime
I have just graduated from university and have been working for a start up for the lasst few months - I am thinking about emigrating to australia towards the end of the year.
I obviously would like to work there and so not really want to work on a building site - is it easy to get a job if you have a degree and a little bit of experience?

Have you any idea how hard it is to emigrate to Australia? I'm not being arsey, genuine question.

Man of Honour
Some of my family have moved over there, and apparently it's quite easy to get jobs, and they usually pay a better salary than that of what you'd get in England.

You have to remember. Cost of living is astronomical though. But so is there salary to match. I wouldn't be surprised if its about equal by the time you take into account costs.
However if you go out for a few years, save as much as you can and comeback. You're quids in.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

No, because you need a Visa to get a job, and this is difficult and time consuming. Getting a Visa which allows you to live and work in Australia unrestricted could take several years and is almost impossible without your profession, of which you have none, being on the on-demand skills list.

The only exception to this is the working holiday Visa - anyone under 30 can apply and its designed to allow backpackers to fund trips by working in bars etc. You can, however, use it to work anywhere but only for a maximum of 6 months with each employer and it only lasts for a year unless you work in argiculture, where you can apply for a year extension. But unless you are Mr Bigshot himself most companies dont want the hassle of people on this type of Visa so the only work you can expect to get really is temp stuff.

Average salaries are higher but then so is the cost of living. Fancy some chocolate? £2 a bar please.

Soldato
chocolate in aus is soooo expensive :( Salary intake is about the same as England once everything has been accounted for, health care for example is rediculously priced. Want a quick bounce of antibotics bc you have an infection? that will be $200 please.

you have NO experience, or money - you will not be emigrating to australia anytime soon.

Last edited:
Soldato
What did you study? Makes a big difference. Know plenty who have gone over as graduates and had company's put them through visas but they studied things that I guess Australians aren't studying

Soldato
You have to remember. OT (cost?) of living is astronomical though. But so is there salary to match. I wouldn't be surprised if its about equal by the time you take into account costs.
However if you go out for a few years, save as much as you can and comeback. You're quids in.

Yeah, when they came over to visit recently, they commented on how things were so much cheaper over here than what they are back in AU.

Also, with regards to Magnolia's comment about how it's so hard to emigrate, as long as his degree isn't crap and unwanted, surely they'd welcome his skills to their country?

Caporegime
Yes! With one caveat... There are only some professions that will allow you easily.

Got a geology degree? Go over and you're almost guaranteed a well paid job. Probably similar with nursing and medicine. Most other things and you're probably going to have to need several years experience before being offered anything more than a WHV.

I know friends that are/were on £50k+ straight out of uni...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Got a geology degree? Go over and you're almost guaranteed a well paid job. ...

My mates done this, and his wife's a school teacher so they get a free house as well. She doesn't want to be over there(she's austrialian) so they plan on staying ~3 years and saving like mad. But he could have got a visa anyway, all depends on proffesion. Also there's the local territory sponsorships as well.

Man of Honour
Probably a good time to make the move before you start earning much money over here as the exchange rate is truly abysmal now (<$1.5 compared to ~$2 a couple of years back and more like $3 historically) meaning that any savings you convert will take a massive hit.

Yes salaries are high out there by comparison to UK due to the exchange rate (I think the average salary is over £40k/year) but cost of living extremely high too, probably talking over £300k for a reasonable house, £5 a pint etc.

Man of Honour
Only if you want to buy yourself a flash, expensive willy waving car.
Bought a 20 year old Ford Falcon which drove me from Perth to Sydney this year which only cost $1000 (about 2 weeks work at a supermarket)

$1000 is about £675, which would buy a 10-13 year old Ford Mondeo, so basically a car half the age.

He's right - cars ARE more expensive. Nowhere in the world are used cars as cheap as they are in the UK.

Associate
Used cars are much more expensive, cars don't depreciate in value as much over here, which is good :) New cars prices are around the same price, but as the models all have differences it is quite hard to compare directly. We bought a Toyota Rav4 last December, it was cheaper here in Oz than in the UK.

Your only real hope visa wise is like Fix says, get yourself on a WHV.

Cost of Living is not as high as some people like to portray, is does read very high at the moment due to the exchange rate, but that's for tourists, when you live here you earn $$$'s not (hmm no ukp sign!) Pounds.

If you have the right skills in the right areas the visa process is extremely quick nowadays, we got permanent residence in six weeks.

Soldato
I wouldn't even entertain the idea of living in australia personally due to the sheer amount of censorship which is government enforced on media. Its also very expensive for pretty much everything, with pricing on games being in excess of $100 for new release titles, with $70 as a rough minimum :S

The larger salaries reflect the cost of living, but the censorship is just too much for my own personal tastes.

Caporegime
I wouldn't even entertain the idea of living in australia personally due to the sheer amount of censorship which is government enforced on media. Its also very expensive for pretty much everything, with pricing on games being in excess of $100 for new release titles, with $70 as a rough minimum :S

The larger salaries reflect the cost of living, but the censorship is just too much for my own personal tastes.

Are you serious?

Soldato

The high cost of games is due to some law about parallel import restrictions. It's not an issue for a brit - I just log into my steam account in the UK, buy the game and then log into my steam account in Australia and download the game.

I dislike censorship but it has zero affect over here. I dont' actually recall any sensorship over here bar a game being banned once.

Back
Top Bottom