Jobseekers Allowance

Associate
Just wondering if anyone has had experience with this in the past year?

Ive recently decided to change careers which has meant with some of the things that have happened in my life I left my job. Ive been working for the past 11 years full time and now they are telling me that they wont give me any money.

I really dont get why they cant?
Im actively seeking jobs and I'm doing what they ask.

Anybody had any trouble before?

Any advice would be great

Associate
OP
They are giving no reason which is what is puzzling me. My savings arnt going to last me forever.

The women put it down as a involuntary eg mental health.

Soldato
I would contact Citizens Advice. I did this in the past when I had issues with the Job Centre and they pointed me in the right direction and helped me fill out the right forms.

Associate
OP
Thanks Silver I will give them a go.

I applied a whole month ago and now they just sent me a letter saying I'm getting no benefit. No wonder why people get homeless and lose everything if the government arnt willing to help.

Associate
Surely you can claim contribution based JSA,

Company I used to work for went bust and they offered me nothing either, next time it happened (like 12 months later) the interviewer told me to claim contribution based.
Turned out that I could have claimed that the first time around but I hadn't been told of it.
Quite annoying but the system isn't set up to help those that are prepared to work.

Soldato
Your benefits if you resign:

Your Jobs and Benefits Office can delay your Jobseeker's Allowance for up to 26 weeks if you've voluntarily quit without good reason. If you are claiming constructive dismissal, make sure they know. If you cannot claim Jobseeker's Allowance, you may still be able to claim a hardship payment, which is a reduced amount of Jobseeker's Allowance.

Man of Honour
Thanks Silver I will give them a go.

I applied a whole month ago and now they just sent me a letter saying I'm getting no benefit. No wonder why people get homeless and lose everything if the government arnt willing to help.

Try calling them and seeing what they say.

Associate
The women put it down as a involuntary eg mental health.
If you're out of work due to a mental health issue then you might be eligible for Employment Support Allowance. If you contact Mind (the mental health charity) and explain your situation they should be able to advise you on which benefits you might be eligible for.

Permabanned
You have to wait 6 weeks before you can claim Job Seekers, if you quit your job.

EDIT: actually different sources are giving different results, 12 weeks, 26 weeks.

You should call and ask them !!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom