Jobseekers Allowance

Soldato
quote isn't working for some reason - but the savings thing is wrong - you can still get contribution based jsa.
i know because i've done it and had more than 16k in savings.

Associate
I also appealed and had to wait 18 months for a tribunal date.

Well I applied for a tribunal just before Christmas and received a date today 27th of this month so I have been a bit luckier I think.

I find it laughable that the DWP aren't even listening to the nurse that did the assessment for them.

Just hoping the tribunal see it the same way, not holding my breath though.

Associate
I work for the DWP. I take new claims for ESA and previously worked in a JCP.

The 16k thing is a myth, you can still claim contribution based JSA (if you've paid enough contributions) and the only thing that would rule you out of getting any money is a pension which is in payment.

If you leave a job, you might not get any money for 26 weeks.

Caporegime
I suppose because if you have over X amount in savings then you're not really 'in need'. Though I appreciate it does seem a hard pill to swallow, do the right thing, work, save, buy a house etc lose your job and you have to spend all your savings before you get any help, and no help with the mortgage.

But don't work, have no savings and you get everything paid and they will happily pay the mortgage of the BTL landlord...

Not sure what the solution is but it is pretty borked atm

And as Platypus says, leaving your job voluntarily is a choice, not a circumstance that has put you in need of societies safety net - well, not until you've blown all your money and are poor :p

This is why the Swiss system is so much better, it works out as an actual insurance so the more you pay in the more you get out. You get 70-90% of your previous 12 month salary (70% for single, 90% with children, you even if you were earning 120K you can be getting g 80-100K in unemployment benefits. This means you can carry on paying tour mortgae, car loan, credit card bills etc. withough being bankrupted or.going to foreclosure.

Associate
I know its a little bit of an older thread resurrection but as an update I had my tribunal this morning and still in a bit of shock that it was decided in my favor.

So I am immediately transferred to the support group with a recommendation that I am not reassessed as its a permanent condition that will only get worse.

The Magistrate hearing the appeal laughed when I pointed out the DWP recommendation that I attend a course for Performing Arts in North Wales when I live in Cornwall. :eek:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

This is why the Swiss system is so much better, it works out as an actual insurance so the more you pay in the more you get out. You get 70-90% of your previous 12 month salary (70% for single, 90% with children, you even if you were earning 120K you can be getting g 80-100K in unemployment benefits. This means you can carry on paying tour mortgae, car loan, credit card bills etc. withough being bankrupted or.going to foreclosure.

You can buy private unemployment insurance in the UK as well.

Soldato
This is isn't primarily directed at the OP but it does concern me the amount of people in society who think it's their right to be able to claim benefits totally without any means testing.

Or just leave their jobs and expect the government to pick up the tab and get all offended when it's not that easy.

I hope things work out for the OP but I'll spend far far more of my time looking for another job than cry on some random forum about struggling to get benefits.

Associate
I know its a little bit of an older thread resurrection but as an update I had my tribunal this morning and still in a bit of shock that it was decided in my favor.

So I am immediately transferred to the support group with a recommendation that I am not reassessed as its a permanent condition that will only get worse.

The Magistrate hearing the appeal laughed when I pointed out the DWP recommendation that I attend a course for Performing Arts in North Wales when I live in Cornwall. :eek:

I reread the thread and that's great news. Its disgusting how this system is being run, Clearly its a blanket approach, skim as many people from the list as possible and hope only x% appeal.

There has to be a better way of catching the bogus claims. So many genuine claims are denied and forced to jump through hoops. Its hard to see how this department can be fit for purpose.

Man of Honour
I suppose people have a misconception that they've paid in to the system for x amount of years and will therefore qualify for some of that money back in their hour of need. The system soon cures them of that misconception...

And also believing stuff they read about immigrants and benefits.
The latest one is: Mohammed and his family get £28 each a day to spend in Tesco.

On a separate issue some Job Centre staff treat you like crap, when I was made redundant they treated me like I had just walked into the place a took a poo on their desk. They do not seem to know what they are doing and hide behind a bunch of rules and regulations that you never get to see. Luckily I did not have to claim for long.

I had this in 2007 after being made redundant after 27 years at the same factory.
It was about my 3rd visit when I'd finally had enough, stood up and shouted "Can you please stop treating my like dog dirt, it isn't my fault I've worked continuously for 33 years and through no fault of my own I've been made jobless. Please treat me with a little respect and don't treat me like those standing outside with a can of Carling at 10 in the morning" and I got a standing ovation while a Security Guard calmed me down.

Associate

Over the moon for you Matt :cool: Your case was very similar to mine. Oh and don't forget they owe you back pay from when you first got put in the WRAG group. You might find they will play silly buggers and not pay up but a quick phone call to remind them should sort it out.

I reread the thread and that's great news. Its disgusting how this system is being run, Clearly its a blanket approach, skim as many people from the list as possible and hope only x% appeal.

There has to be a better way of catching the bogus claims. So many genuine claims are denied and forced to jump through hoops. Its hard to see how this department can be fit for purpose.

Nail & Head.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom