Joining Armoured Cable together.

Soldato
OP
Is it the same one who installed it?

If not did he not mention it's a really bad install and should be like above?

yer same guy

I might consider that waterproof/air tight box that gentlemen provided pictures of
as for a garage consumer unit not sure that helps me.
if it trips I can just reset the breaker and turn the garage off under the stairs etc.

Soldato
OP
That's some shoddy work for sure.

First thing I'd do is change that junction box! I don't know if it's placed inside or outside but somebody has just used a junction box made for the inside, usually for lighting circuits. I've seen bugs blow circuits because they've wandered across live terminals, never mind water. I'd recommend one of these:

y4mU2CY8hgTJVFzmqDspwPTT47fqE0VFgAFBGd_pCtAwHqsYnoxJ2lHzP-3nf24n2ZR6CzHd3U64CmF5HrwCsmxRd1vEFwzhB6nxFphA4WU4GzAbwTwaYpFnr2lxrwbWwFqH0SUwpGhu2J7DIYLR1AN7AxZpz4ko2ffduiNBPdWsFnymfTZ3TzmzToQQcvoqJDZvlQ7mvz9J_ilYxtZ1rrosg

Using the appropriate armoured cable gland too.

Then in your shed use a garage consumer unit, again with a proper gland on the armoured cable:

y4mqXToMuTKSJaoYuByodOVHgUISwpwYU6UXm-gE3VdWRKHorJ8edzEfmlJxP5Uxdnsm_HMCsbsTzDAIifhj1Z33Tx1gFkE5_g1xV30kgbjPMVtA1fg0FO2esosBhnjpLuVxfAS-MFXxi3wUeI4mGewLmnJOkc4IoU_6K6cTStngGAXw4Tj9N9JhrUf8gFBA3mgwCA0unw5cwizHrg0deM5Iw

That way if something trips in the shed while you are away it won't trip anything in the house.

that what item is that box from screwfix?

Associate
The top picture is of a decent quality external-grade junction box. Bugs can and will try to crawl in and short out circuits. Also, the external boxes are weather sealed to stop moisture getting in.

A garage consumer unit means you can isolate the garage circuit without having to get under the stairs to find your main consumer unit. It also won't trip out anything in the house if something does go wrong at the garage end of things.

E.g. If you were away on holiday and for whatever reason it tripped out and didn't just knock out the garage circuit, but tripped your main breaker as well, you'd probably come back to a defrosted freezer etc.

I did think all along it sounded like some earthing issue

To be honest you have belt and braces there with the sheathing directly send to ground. If you do happen to pierce the cable then if you make contact with the live then you are pretty much guaranteed it will go to earth.
The risk with leaving the armour unearthed is that you manage to breach the armour, and nick the live, creating a bridge from the live to the armour, you then have a live armour sheath **scared face**

Soldato
OP
I did think all along it sounded like some earthing issue

To be honest you have belt and braces there with the sheathing directly send to ground. If you do happen to pierce the cable then if you make contact with the live then you are pretty much guaranteed it will go to earth.
The risk with leaving the armour unearthed is that you manage to breach the armour, and nick the live, creating a bridge from the live to the armour, you then have a live armour sheath **scared face**

I've decided not to disturb my lovely green lush turf for now! lol

Soldato
that what item is that box from screwfix?

Yes, Screwfix range here. You'll also need the suitable gland for SWA cable.

The top picture is of a decent quality external-grade junction box. Bugs can and will try to crawl in and short out circuits. Also, the external boxes are weather sealed to stop moisture getting in.

A garage consumer unit means you can isolate the garage circuit without having to get under the stairs to find your main consumer unit. It also won't trip out anything in the house if something does go wrong at the garage end of things.

E.g. If you were away on holiday and for whatever reason it tripped out and didn't just knock out the garage circuit, but tripped your main breaker as well, you'd probably come back to a defrosted freezer etc.

Everything Borealis says above. If you're putting a freezer in a shed or garage I'd recommend a trip alarm that goes off when the shed/garage loses power (a buzzer or light for example).

Associate
electrician came out and said that this is quite a common issue and it's due to the RCD being a good distance from the garage and there is not enough earthing in place.

I'm not sure what he mean't by this. I wouldn't say distance is really a factor and the fact the cable is poorly installed is the only factor. If he was the guy who installed this cable and used a domestic, non IP rated, joint box to terminate a SWA cable. then I'd just sack him and get someone who knows better.

Soldato
Dont. You need to get the sparky back, its his install, its very poor and needs sorting.

BUT as others have said, if that is the standard of his work you really should sack him off and get a professional in to do the job properly, there are so many mistakes and substandard things done on the install that I would be worried...

Associate
Could be it's a legitmate short circuit fault and the MCB has been damaged tripping under fault condition?

Seriously, if it's tripping, it's for a reason and possibly a nasty fault. Just get someone in who knows what they are doing or leave the circuit off.

Back
Top Bottom