Just bought a Lenovo WMR headset in the Black Friday sales

Soldato
Had a Playstation VR headset for over a year but saw a deal on a WMR headset in the sales so decided to give it a try.

Any game recommendations for someone who's new to Windows mixed reality?

I was thinking about getting fallout 4 VR but it says Vive only in Steam? Can you play Vive/Oculus titles on Windows mixed reality?

Soldato
It works according to the FO4VR sub, but sound issues seem to cause people issues on wmr with usb being touted as a culprit. It's all documented though, so shouldn't be a problem.

FO4VR is the place to be for Fallout 4 info.

Soldato
OP
I ordered one today from Lenovo Uk in the Black Friday sale £109.
Will i get a better visual experience than on my PSVR (PS4 pro) ?

Got the same deal as well so will post up my thoughts assuming the headset arrives and Lenovo don't cancel the order as it was price glitch :D

One of my friends has the Dell WMR headset which I've tried so I'm assuming the Lenovo will have similar optics since the specs are the same.

Compared to my PSVR you notice the higher resolution especially when reading text. It's better but not quite as noticeable a jump as you might expect looking at the numbers alone (going from 960x1080 per eye to 1440x1440).

The tracking works really well and is much better than the move controllers / Playstation camera setup though.

I mainly bought it for Fallout/Skyrim/Rec room and shooter games which benefit from the improved tracking. I'd also love to try elite dangerous in VR and maybe Subnautica.

I did kind of get drawn in by the black Friday deals as I'd intended skipping the current range of desktop VR headsets and waiting for the oculus quest or PSVR2. It was a bit of an impulse buy really. Figured I couldn't go wrong with a WMR headset for £100 though!

Last edited:
Associate
Had a Playstation VR headset for over a year but saw a deal on a WMR headset in the sales so decided to give it a try.

Any game recommendations for someone who's new to Windows mixed reality?

I was thinking about getting fallout 4 VR but it says Vive only in Steam? Can you play Vive/Oculus titles on Windows mixed reality?
Anything on SteamVR, even if it’s not listed as WMR.
You may have the odd control mapping issue, with games that are not listed as WMR compatible, but o believe there’s key binding program that solves that, also by using Revive you can play Oculus Home games

Associate
It could well be the best £109 I've spent if they deliver.
I bought it on a whim but I've had my eye on one for a while. I do own a PSVR and have played some of the best VR titles on it Rez, Astrobot, Wipeout etc and I'm hoping for better visuals from the Lenovo Explorer.
Are there any exclusive stand out titles for WMR headsets?

Associate
It could well be the best £109 I've spent if they deliver.
I bought it on a whim but I've had my eye on one for a while. I do own a PSVR and have played some of the best VR titles on it Rez, Astrobot, Wipeout etc and I'm hoping for better visuals from the Lenovo Explorer.
Are there any exclusive stand out titles for WMR headsets?
Anything on the SteamVR will work, even if it’s not listed as WMR compatible, so fill your boots

Soldato
I saw that deal, amazing price.
WMR has come on nicely and seems to have good support at the moment.

I have the Odyssey and buy all my best stuff on Steam which is now quite well integrated into the WMR home app. Make sure you have the Windows 10 fall update as that added neater Steam VR integration and the new torch app is great (allows you to see your environment without taking the headset off, albeit in B&W).

I tried revive for Occulus but found Steam VR much easier to use.

Soldato
OP
Apparently they will dispatch on 30th November to arrive by 4th December according to reports on HUKDeals.

Hopefully it turns up but I only really bought it since it was cheap so if it does get cancelled then it's no great loss! Oddly, they don't seem to have taken the money from my bank account yet either?'

The only thing annoying me is that I'd like to buy fallout 4/Skyrim in the sales which end today/tomorrow. So it would be useful to know one way or another of I'm going to get it. Might just buy the games in the sale and I can refund them if it doesn't turn up!

I'll post an update here if/when I get an update :cool:

Associate
Hopefully it turns up but I only really bought it since it was cheap so if it does get cancelled then it's no great loss! Oddly, they don't seem to have taken the money from my bank account yet either?'

The only thing annoying me is that I'd like to buy fallout 4/Skyrim in the sales which end today/tomorrow. So it would be useful to know one way or another of I'm going to get it. Might just buy the games in the sale and I can refund them if it doesn't turn up!

I'll post an update here if/when I get an update :cool:

Everything you have written are my sentiments exactly.. I'm waiting to pull the trigger on games & a Bluetooth 4.0 dongle!

Associate
I bought one of these last night with about 20 min to go on the offer. As an ED addict I have always wondered what it would be like in VR but the price was just too high. I am not sure whether my rig will cope, Ryzen 1200 & radeon 480. However, hopefully at this price I will be able to get most of my money back selling it on if I don't get on with it and it shouldn't prove too expensive a mistake.

Associate
I bought one of these last night with about 20 min to go on the offer. As an ED addict I have always wondered what it would be like in VR but the price was just too high. I am not sure whether my rig will cope, Ryzen 1200 & radeon 480. However, hopefully at this price I will be able to get most of my money back selling it on if I don't get on with it and it shouldn't prove too expensive a mistake.

First time I ran Elite in VR was on an i5 6400, 4GB! RAM and an RX480. Got very juddery on jumping systems but ran fine, much better with 8GB RAM mind you :D I didn't see much change when I went to a 7600K so I do think it's pretty GPU bound and although the 480 isn't the best card I still smile when I'm in a station just looking around.

Back
Top Bottom