Just got new HDD.

Soldato
Hi, well I just got a new Western Digital 320GB Sata 2 16mb cache HDD, I've fitted it, and its showing in windows, had to format it, so I formated it as a "Simple Volume", whats a Simple Volume? Have I dont right to format it as this?, still using the IDE hdd's for windows for the moment whilst I use paragon to partition the HDD after sorting this Simple Partition thing then will install Windows XP/Vista onto the drive.

Soldato
All my drives including windows and storage drives are all "basic" type. You can just use your windows CD to partition the drive - by booting from it, then once setup files are loaded it gives you the option to partition the drive.

Soldato
OP
fobose said:
All my drives including windows and storage drives are all "basic" type. You can just use your windows CD to partition the drive - by booting from it, then once setup files are loaded it gives you the option to partition the drive.

I can use Paragon from in Windows to format, Basic is the same as Simple aint it?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well I disconnected all my IDE drives, slipped the CD in, started creating partitions, formatting the HDD, then copying files, then I re-started, and I got an error like, Error, unable to load Operating system, or Error loading Operating System, or No operating system found, aint sure which one, think it was Error Loading Operating System, but I had to plug the IDE drives back in and repair Windows XP on that since even that would not boot after it, just a black screen :confused:

How am I supposed to install XP on the SATA, some special software I need?

Soldato
Did you install the SATA drivers for your motherboard in the windows setup? There is an option before it starts loading everything that asks you to press F6 to install drivers. You need to do this and have the SATA drivers on a floppy ready to load.

Your motherboard manual/website should have some information on this as the SATA controller, and thus drivers needed, vary between motherboards.

Soldato
OP
mark1 said:
Did you install the SATA drivers for your motherboard in the windows setup? There is an option before it starts loading everything that asks you to press F6 to install drivers. You need to do this and have the SATA drivers on a floppy ready to load.

Your motherboard manual/website should have some information on this as the SATA controller, and thus drivers needed, vary between motherboards.

So I need to install Sata drivers even before installing Windows so that it works? I mean I managed to format the drive in Windows and use it, but just cant get XP to install onto them.

Associate
Hi willhub, i am in a similar situation right now, Sata drive recognised in windows, I ghosted the ide c: drive to the new sata, shutdown removed the ide drive, rebooted, all goes fine until i get to the xp splash screen, then it just sits there doing nowt.

Soldato
OP
philip41 said:
Hi willhub, i am in a similar situation right now, Sata drive recognised in windows, I ghosted the ide c: drive to the new sata, shutdown removed the ide drive, rebooted, all goes fine until i get to the xp splash screen, then it just sits there doing nowt.

Hey, I found out that entering the drive options in Bios then changing something from "Auto" to "Large" actually got it to work for me :).

Soldato
IDE aka PATA can run at 133mb/s, SATA I can run at 150mb/s and SATA II can run at 300mb/s - these however are only burst speeds. Your average mb/s will probably be more around the mark of about 40-50 for older drives and 60-70 for new ones.

Back
Top Bottom