Just graduated.

Associate
After blood sweat and tears, I'm finally graduating with a 2:1 in computer science. I'm 24. Didn't go to uni immediately..
And I can't say I enjoyed programming as much as I wanted to, being it's uni and forced, I can't really see myself doing it as a career right now, atleast don't have the drive for it. But I was okay with it. Same with web application development, I was above average. Although not confident enough.
I was thinking to do a comptia+ certification and apply for a system administrator job, atleast what I can see myself doing at the moment with confidence. Possibly apply for an apprenticeship, I don't mind about the pay, I value experience far more rewarding.

Any advice from you smart folks?
:D

Soldato
Well if you're thinking of an apprenticeship how about a Control and Instrumentation apprenticeship in heavy industry, power station, chemical works, petro-chem etc. Highly transferable skills generally well paying, opportunities to set up your own business in the future, highly transferable and you can work abroad easily should you want. Also having a programming background a move into control and instrumentation engineering upon finishing your apprenticeship would be quite straightforward.

Caporegime
congratulations :)

it does seem like a bit of a waste to now be looking for an apprenticeship after having put the effort into getting a degree however if you don't think you'll enjoy various grad options then perhaps it is still a good move

main goal IMO though is to find something you'll enjoy

Caporegime
I felt this way when I graduated. Don't really want to do anything related to my degree now. Ah well, at least it's there to fall back on I guess. :p

Congrats though!

Soldato
After blood sweat and tears, I'm finally graduating with a 2:1 in computer science. I'm 24. Didn't go to uni immediately..
And I can't say I enjoyed programming as much as I wanted to, being it's uni and forced, I can't really see myself doing it as a career right now, atleast don't have the drive for it. But I was okay with it. Same with web application development, I was above average. Although not confident enough.
I was thinking to do a comptia+ certification and apply for a system administrator job, atleast what I can see myself doing at the moment with confidence. Possibly apply for an apprenticeship, I don't mind about the pay, I value experience far more rewarding.

Any advice from you smart folks?
:D
https://www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/apprenticeshipsearch
https://www.getmyfirstjob.co.uk/Apprenticeships/AboutApprenticeships.aspx
https://www.getingofar.gov.uk/apprenticeships

Some useful apprenticeship links, my son got on an apprenticeship via the 1st one.

e: Congratulations :)

Soldato
Hi,

Congratulations, welcome to life post-uni!

I also graduated with the same grade Computer Science degree - 2007. I was also not a programmer of any sort, although I had good technical IT knowledge (we are all geeks on here right?)

Anyhow, I went into System Implementation through a Grad Scheme for a Manufacturing and Engineering company. I can't say I specifically targeted that, but thinking about it now - it gave me good experience.

10 years later, I work as a PM in Business Change for a large bank, away from technology. Of course, I still have involvement with IT (current project at least), but from a business side - owner of requirement.

I would say that a System Admin role might be a little below what you would enjoy. I also expect that you are far too over qualified for apprenticeships. The apprentices we have here are 18 years old, fresh out of school.

Why not apply to some grad schemes? You don't know until you try! :)

Good luck!

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Bit late now but I also did CS at uni but after the first year I realised it was just too boring for me. So changed my course fro, the second year to Business Admin.

Am I now doing a job related to my degree? Nope!

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies everyone everyone, I have looked at graduate schemes before like a year ago, but now seems more appropriate to apply to more. I'm just feeling quite lost and empty since uni is over and no routine. Although I do cycling courier work( I love cycling) just stressing about finding a job I love in the industry.

Associate
OP
Thay
Well if you're thinking of an apprenticeship how about a Control and Instrumentation apprenticeship in heavy industry, power station, chemical works, petro-chem etc. Highly transferable skills generally well paying, opportunities to set up your own business in the future, highly transferable and you can work abroad easily should you want. Also having a programming background a move into control and instrumentation engineering upon finishing your apprenticeship would be quite straightforward.
That all sounds interesting and scary at the same time, at work ATM will research after, but if you any viable links, swing them my way :)

Associate
OP
Hi,

Congratulations, welcome to life post-uni!

I also graduated with the same grade Computer Science degree - 2007. I was also not a programmer of any sort, although I had good technical IT knowledge (we are all geeks on here right?)

Anyhow, I went into System Implementation through a Grad Scheme for a Manufacturing and Engineering company. I can't say I specifically targeted that, but thinking about it now - it gave me good experience.

10 years later, I work as a PM in Business Change for a large bank, away from technology. Of course, I still have involvement with IT (current project at least), but from a business side - owner of requirement.

I would say that a System Admin role might be a little below what you would enjoy. I also expect that you are far too over qualified for apprenticeships. The apprentices we have here are 18 years old, fresh out of school.

Why not apply to some grad schemes? You don't know until you try! :)

Good luck!
I'll defffo try grad schemes, but will do comptia alongside to fill my time up and obv learn towards it!

Soldato
Congrats on the grade! Apply for a grad scheme. Based in shirley/Birmingham you shouldn't have a problem, and will pay far better than an apprenticeship. It's 3 years since I graduated now :o

Soldato
What was your job role now?':D
I didn't do computing science, I did mechanical engineering.

I went from a "graduate engineer" to mechanical engineer since... In consultancy on water engineering (sewage works, tunnels, rivers, reservoirs etc)

A graduate scheme (with decent employer/role) is likely to inflate your salary far quicker than an apprenticeship which would be my main reasoning for going for one.

Associate
OP
Forgot to mention. I have tourretes which are bearable and mild. Although under stressful situations they're full blown. Still nervous for interviews in the foreseeable future. Or atleast I don't say stupid things under pressure or perform worse :/

Caporegime
Well it no doubt counts as a disability so they shouldn't hold it against you. Obviously it might mean that something like a sales role isn't so suitable perhaps but it shouldn't really affect a technical or engineering role.

Associate
Perhaps consider a technical graduate scheme at a consultancy (Big 4 or other). You'll have an opportunity to move around different roles and begin to gain an idea of what type of role you like best.

A Computer Science degree does not mean you're limited to being a programmer or developer.

I would imagine grad scheme applications are closing/closed by now so you may need to wait until Autumn to apply

Associate
OP
Perhaps consider a technical graduate scheme at a consultancy (Big 4 or other). You'll have an opportunity to move around different roles and begin to gain an idea of what type of role you like best.

A Computer Science degree does not mean you're limited to being a programmer or developer.

I would imagine grad scheme applications are closing/closed by now so you may need to wait until Autumn to apply
I'll have a look if they are, any chance you could send me info links about consultancy big 4, or whatever that is .

Back
Top Bottom