Just knocked a kid over while driving car!

Soldato
In the OPS case if he was going 5MPH faster he would have caused more serious injures and quite rightly could be at fault. If he was driving 5MPH slower then there would be no collision and that is obviously a safe speed.

And if he was going 10mph faster he would have been past the place the child ran out into the path of the car before the child had a chance to, meaning there would have been no collision so that is also a safe speed.

It is completely possible for the OP to have been at a standstill on the road in traffic and the child still run out into the road into the side of the OP's car fast enough to cause injury. Is this still the fault of the driver?

Caporegime
And if he was going 10mph faster he would have been past the place the child ran out into the path of the car before the child had a chance to, meaning there would have been no collision so that is also a safe speed.

It is completely possible for the OP to have been at a standstill on the road in traffic and the child still run out into the road into the side of the OP's car fast enough to cause injury. Is this still the fault of the driver?

I don;t get your point, if the cra wasn't moving then the person behind the wheel isn't driving. Of course there are extremes that cannot be be avoided, it is the responsibility of the driver to mitigate these circumstances as much as possible by adjusting speed and driving behavior.

Caporegime
And if he was going 5mph slower and the kid ran out 1m closer to him he still would have hit him...

There is no speed* which makes it impossible to have a collision, yes it is the driver's responsibility to ensure they do everything they can to mitigate that possibility, but ultimately the person placing themselves (or failing to prevent their children from doing so) in the path of a moving vehicle also has to take some responsibility for their actions

* Unless you count 0 as a speed :p

No one said there was a speed that makes it impossible to have a collision, but there are speeds that reduce the probability of collison and reduce the impact energy and injury risk, and there are speeds that do the opposite. As a driver you have to adjust speeds to the road conditions

Soldato
Find it shocking in my neighbourhood how many just let their kids run out in the street
Back in my day everyone knew a kid who'd been run over and killed... usually the same Year as you but in one of the nine or ten other local schools. We still played in the streets, occasionally got run over, but mostly knew how to be safe.
Parents would take the 'French' route and just say, "If you get run over, don't come crying to me".

The onus on any driver is to drive to the conditions and surroundings - it is called hazard perception.
Yeah, perception, not prophesy. There's only so much you can perceive, let alone have time to react to... and guaranteed there'll be a Beemer up yer bum with flashing headlights if you are too careful.

Soldato
I don;t get your point, if the cra wasn't moving then the person behind the wheel isn't driving. Of course there are extremes that cannot be be avoided, it is the responsibility of the driver to mitigate these circumstances as much as possible by adjusting speed and driving behavior.

I agree completely with what you're saying, but when they've done so as far as reasonably possible, then why should they bear the full responsibility for someone elses actions?

If you're crawling along at 10 mph and a kid decides to run out from behind a parked van and cracks their head open on your side window, how exactly are you supposed to "drive to the conditions" to avoid that?

Caporegime
The big arguments in this thread tbh are all missing the simple word "reasonable".

people always want tio lock ther law down to an absolute but the law not being stupid is flexible and has grey areas.

"reasonable" being the big one.

something can be less than ideal but still be reasonable.

Soldato
Why does the NHS require the driver to pay? If you are playing football with a friend and you tackle him badly and break his leg, will the NHS charge you for that?

Because there is legal provision for them to do so. In my previous role one of our employees (their fault) seriously injured a pedestrian.

The NHS element of the claim was in excess of £100k which was our self insurance threshold. The claim went well north of £250k in the end.

Back
Top Bottom