Justified or gun happy?

Caporegime
i used to play with a bb gun that looked like a desert eagle. Got stopped by the police for running around the street with it. Thinking back i'm lucky to be alive if it were America id probably have been shot too.

Permabanned
i used to play with a bb gun that looked like a desert eagle. Got stopped by the police for running around the street with it. Thinking back i'm lucky to be alive if it were America id probably have been shot too.

We used to mess around with them in the local park shooting bottles that the older kids had left behind the night before from drinking. Walking past army patrols. Mate pointed his at a soldier once and got a kick up the arse for it. My mum confiscated mine because LOL NORTHERN IRELAND. SMK G10 repeater. Absolutely ****.

Caporegime
This is a picture of the weapon.

PKubxB2.jpg

I defy anyone to be able to judge whether that is real or a replica.

From your short, pithy posts (as always) it's impossible to understand whether you are suggesting that it is clear that the gun could be considered (a) real or (b) fake. Is it just me that can't understand the point or intention of anything you try to say?

Content: justified. Unfortunate and stupid and a waste of a life but justified.

Soldato
This is a picture of the weapon.

PKubxB2.jpg

I defy anyone to be able to judge whether that is real or a replica.

It's pretty obvious that's fake, it looks really plastic. From the 1-2ft away that picture has been taken. When it's perfectly still and not being waved around. When I'm not on edge worried about whether I'm about to get shot.

Not surprising really, and IMO completely justified on the part of the officer. You'd be pretty stupid to run around with a realistic toy gun like that in public in the UK, never mind in the US, where every police officer is armed (along with many civilians).

Soldato
OP
Surely in a nation that spends so much on lethal weaponry development has come up with no lethal ways of disarming people these days? Or perhaps a couple of bullets are the cheaper option?

Soldato
Gun culture victims

The boy and the police shooter, I mean.

Police probably not at fault, and probably justified given the prevailing environment (that of gun-crazy America).

But a developed country incubating an environment where a 12 year old can get shot dead for playing with a toy and not doing as he was instructed by the police, and for that incident to get a (probably reasonable) general reaction of "justified: he was stupid" is pretty sad :(

Soldato
Tragic incident and unfortunately imo in these types of incidents neither party are blame free. A 12 year old shouldn't have a replica gun on the street and should have obeyed the orders of the officers whilst they state he made not attempt to raise the gun so there doesn't like there was a direct or imminent threat of him firing. Naive and silly boy with scared, trigger happy cops. Always a recipe for disaster.

Soldato
Gun culture victims

The boy and the police shooter, I mean.

Police probably not at fault, and probably justified given the prevailing environment (that of gun-crazy America).

But a developed country incubating an environment where a 12 year old can get shot dead for playing with a toy and not doing as he was instructed by the police, and for that incident to get a (probably reasonable) general reaction of "justified: he was stupid" is pretty sad :(

I think the boy was more a victim of "Rap culture".

Soldato
can't blame the police at all - its not rare that 12 year old could get a real gun and start killing people - happened loads of times over there.
Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Soldato
Also something to bear in mind the American police do falsify reports to cover their own backs, so I'd wait for independant verification as to whether the kid reached for the gun or not.

Caporegime
Surely in a nation that spends so much on lethal weaponry development has come up with no lethal ways of disarming people these days? Or perhaps a couple of bullets are the cheaper option?

There are plenty of non lethal ways of disarming people, normal police patrols don't always have access to them though.

It could potentially be considered a failing of the police to send someone to a response call who doesn't have appropriate non-lethal equipment, but again if they'd taken the time to send it, they might have been castigated for taking longer to respond had it - for example - been a real gun.

Soldato
There are plenty of non lethal ways of disarming people, normal police patrols don't always have access to them though.

It could potentially be considered a failing of the police to send someone to a response call who doesn't have appropriate non-lethal equipment, but again if they'd taken the time to send it, they might have been castigated for taking longer to respond had it - for example - been a real gun.

Might is the operative word though isn't it? As it stands a child was killed, I'd rather they take a little longer and not kill a child tbh.

Back
Top Bottom