Kent—the best town/area to live for London commuting

Soldato
Lived in Rochester in Kent for 20+ years, wouldn’t got back now, too expensive and crowded. I now live in Cambridgeshire and it much nicer than Kent, now the A14 has been sorted and nobody is about due to COVID commuting in is also easy. Cambridge itself is manically expensive but you can find nice places not too far away at reasonable prices.

Chatham and Gillingham are both **** holes and should be avoided at all cost.

Associate
To be fair, Chatham was not so bad when the dockyard was operational as a dockyard (I don't mean as a tourist attraction). A significant number of the residents of Chatham and surrounding areas - such as Walderslade and Lordswood -worked in, or supported, the dockyard in some shape or form.

When the Navy left, in 1984, the region quickly decended into a far less pleasant area. As the work opportunties dried up things became bleaker.

Associate
OP
Thank you for your comments. It makes this world much easier! Any advice in High Brooms area? As houses seem to be slightly cheaper than TW?

Soldato
Thank you for your comments. It makes this world much easier! Any advice in High Brooms area? As houses seem to be slightly cheaper than TW?
I have been looking in TW, and again the High Brooms area. I even posted in here, see
If I'm honest it's not great. The houses etc are fine, but there isn't really anything going on and it's probably a 25 minute walk minimum into town so it doesn't feel like you're living in Tunbridge Wells. The train is close by if you're commuting and I think it very much depends on your family situation (single/married with kids) as if you're single you might find it boring.

Fast forward a few months and I have looked all over Kent and I have come back to TW. I went and viewed a property in HighBrooms last week and likely to make an offer on it. It is a little out of TW but how I look at is that there is hopefully post-covid going to be plenty going on in TW, HB has good transport into London and the property is of a good size for the price imo.

Associate
OP
Not driving unfortunately. And the season ticket is a pain! But I will be WFH 3 days a week and the other 2 days commuting into Canary Warf

Associate

I used to live a mile from HB station (toward TW) and the commute to Cannon Street was quite acceptable, I'd be a bit more reluctant to commute to the Wharf.
One thing to note is that there is a shuttle bus that goes to the Wharf from TW (has several stops), which once you factor in changes etc, might be quicker than the train and quite exclusive as it just picks people up around here and then drives straight there. That depends on your hours of course, but the people I've spoken to that have done it all perform metro roles.
HB is cheaper for a reason, but as long as you look at the quadrant of it that's west of the station you'll be fine. North is meant to be ok but a few of the places I looked at felt a bit more cramped and on top of each other. South and East of the station is a no go as far as I'm concerned.
The other option to consider are stations along from TW. It's a bit more of a commute but if you're only in the office 2 days per week it might be more acceptable, I've not been into the city for nearly a year now but HB was always touch and go whether you'd get a seat on the train. If you got on at TW you'd be guaranteed a seat no problem. The towns further south (Wadhurst & Frant really) are both nice too.

One last consideration, not something I've done many times from TW as my work doesn't have many parking opportunities nearby, is to get a motorcycle and commute that way. The South East trains are not cheap (think £40-50 per day without a railcard) and you might have better parking available in the Wharf.. This lets you look further afield than the station towns and you can get a lot more for your money that way.

Back
Top Bottom