Kerbal Space Program

Associate
Oh wow so they have added space planes now then?

So it it possible to build a spaceplane then have a shuttle on the back of it that goes off to the moon?

Also is it possible to land on the moon properly now with stock parts without exploding?

Yes, Yes, an Yes!
However there is still many know bugs with KSP.15!
Please find a list of many know bugs @ http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=12348.0

KSP 15.1 is in Development, concurrently with KSP.16.
Version 15.1 is expected too release within days, pending Testing.. :D

PS: one of the majour advantages, of rockets + aircraft, is been able too launch a rocket from the belly or back of a plane!
We strongly recommend using a joystick, when trying too fly! :o

Soldato
Yes, Yes, an Yes!
However there is still many know bugs with KSP.15!
Please find a list of many know bugs @ http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=12348.0

KSP 15.1 is in Development, concurrently with KSP.16.
Version 15.1 is expected too release within days, pending Testing.. :D

PS: one of the majour advantages, of rockets + aircraft, is been able too launch a rocket from the belly or back of a plane!
We strongly recommend using a joystick, when trying too fly! :o

Oh sweet I may actually invest in this now, played the demo tons but could never make it to the moon :p

Associate
We strongly recommend using a joystick, when trying too fly!

I also want too add, there is a known bug with KSP.15 that doesn't update physics easily! Basically if you have a small light rocket "Very agile even in orbit" an strap it too a large cumbersome plane, once your rocket decouples from the plane, its physics DOESN'T get updated "Still remains slow an cumbersome"!
Apparently a good work around, is by using deploying/retracting your gears "G"! An this updates your rockets phyics model...

:o blasphemy, for not buying it!
Complete a 100 orbits of Kerbin at once for your sins! :D

Other additions are: lots of new parts, for planes
a new orbit system, making orbit an SOI transfers much easier!
An there is a new moon, called Minimus too land on!

Man of Honour
Well downloaded scramjet mods. Makes space planes super easy.
Did an orbit and managed to land, albeit, by the runway, not on it.

Associate
Anyone got any good plane with attached shuttle designs? the ones ive been messing with seem to just do back flips when they take off :(

Sadly I dont have one!
Certainly not ready for public release/critism.

Have you tried, moving the load further forward, to change its center of gravity?
But if you have just downloaded the KSP 15 build, shouldn't you start small? ;)

I only JUST perfected my Delta Wing plane, it can pull continous 12G, an will rip too 17G in an instant (Makes even the braviest Kerbal Scream like a girl) Still insanely stable an easy too fly, has a 360 Degree turning circle at 180M/s in less than 500Meters! :cool:
(Landing + Take-offs, its a little more touchy) - Wasted most of development time perfecting this area!

Man of Honour
Anyone got any good plane with attached shuttle designs? the ones ive been messing with seem to just do back flips when they take off :(

Back flips, means the back of plane is to heavy.
Put fuel tanks at front, then empt body's, then engines at rear. You may need to extend the fuselage forward to get the balance right.
Can also help moving wings back, so you generate more lift at rear than front.
When you release a rocket, plane suddenly gets lighter and as such rises fast, if rocket is on top it gets smashed into. So either put rocket underneath, or you can do it badly by using parachutes/solid booster rockets, just before detach to try and get the plane out the way.

Oh and you need to control fuel burn as well. You need to use fuel up from rear to front. Otherwise even if balanced on take off, you may well find yourself back flipping as fuel drains down. Right click on fuel tanks and disable all but the rear one, then just remember to tenable fuel tanks as they drain down.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Advanced SAS can also help with that, if you stick it on as soon as you take off then make small adjustments as needed. Depends what your goal is.

Yep, best bet for big horrible transporters.

Also ASAS don't stack, so only ever use one, if you need more, use the normal SAS, the ASAS will controll the others as well as controll services and RCS.

Soldato
Alt and S/W for trim? As in lock some pitch in place? Didn't realise you could do that!

I've managed pretty well with planes without even thinking about fuel positioning, have never tried disabling specific fuel tanks.

I've kind of made a piggy back shuttle design. Although it's a aerospike propelled plane rather than an actual proper rocket fueled monster. Basically created that first, then used a decoupler to attach a bigger plane to the bottom. I'll grab a screenshot later!

Which Scramjet mods Glaucus? (Not had a chance to dig through their forum)

Man of Honour
Any interesting characteristic? Or is it just a case of a more powerful jet engine?

its pretty rubbish at low alltitudes, once you get high(13,000+), its insane.
Its certainly not balanced with the other parts though. But then its burn rate is 1 compared to around 0.3 for the stock parts.

Hopefully the place holders for the inlets, of which there are a few like ram jet, are implemented on 0.16

0.151 update is out
Bug Fixes and Tweaks:
* Fixed a couple of issues with the parts action UI popups and their code bindings.
* Tweaked the time warp altitude limits. It is now possible to warp fast at low orbits around Minmus and the Mun.
* Tweaked the rotating reference frame thresholds when nearing planets, to reduce terrain mesh jitter.
* Fixed the 'Serpinski Terrain' issue, where the terrain mesh would break up when approaching a planet after travelling very far.
* Fixed an issue with the patched conic solver failing on some escape trajectories.
* Fixed the normal maps on several parts.
* It is now possible to set the persistent debris budget to zero, to disable saving debris completely.

Soldato
Managed to get my first spaceplane working, took off smoothly and landed as well, although it had a slight roll to it which i cant fix but sas seems to handle it :D

Soldato
eva's will probably use a simple feature of docking mechanics anyway, i.e detatching and reattatching to your landers. Would be a good tester for docking in the future

Back
Top Bottom