Keyboard help please?

Associate
I hate coming her and sounding like a complete idiot, but I would really appreciate help from you guys if you know anything I don't.

I recently completed my first build and I have hit a problem. I bought the Enermax Aurora Premium keyboard.

The problem I have is when I turn the pc on, nothing appears on the screen at all. When I swap the kepboard with an old Packard Bell I had, there is no problem. If I turn the computer on and then plug in the keyboard when windows has started, everything is fine.

Not sure what info would be relevant to be honest. I'm using XP pro 32bit at the moment and Asus P5K Premium/WiFi-AP.

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
I was going to ask the same thing, it could be BIOS related. See if there is an updaed BIOS for the Mobo, there could be a known bug with USB keyboards. I had a similar issue with a USB mouse, which was resolved with an update to BIOS.

Associate
OP
I had a similar problem the 1st time i turned my new build on. Is the Packard Bell a USB keyboard?

The Packard bell isn't USB, its the purle connector (ps2 maybe?)

I'll have a look at the bios updates later if thats what you think anyway. Will this cause me any trouble do you think? I'm not over familiar with this kind of thing yet.

Associate
OP
Well, I updated the bios and have had no joy. Tried changing the Legacy settings and no help there either :s

Is it possible my keyboard is at fault?

Associate
OP
Does a USB mouse work in the same USB slot?

Yes, 2 different USB mice work when I turn on the pc. No problems there at all. I have even tried the keyboard in 3 laptops (1 x XP Pro 32bit, 2 x Vista home premium 32bit), and they all work fine when I turn them on too...

Associate
USB-PS2M_LR.jpg

Man, sorry that piccy is big

Associate
OP
Well, its not the solution to the problem but a work-around i guess? I'll give that a whirl and let you know what comes of it.

Any more suggestions are also welcome :)

Associate
There can be certain issues between a different mobo/bios and different usb devices.

Given that your mouse is working, if you could test the keyboard in another machine and rule out the fact that it is faulty then I would say it is almost certainly due to the usb hub feature of the keyboard.

Associate
OP
There can be certain issues between a different mobo/bios and different usb devices.

Given that your mouse is working, if you could test the keyboard in another machine and rule out the fact that it is faulty then I would say it is almost certainly due to the usb hub feature of the keyboard.

Tried the keyboard in THREE other machines, works in all except mine.

Tried reinstalling the USB host drivers?

Fully formatted and tried again, still no joy. :(

Back
Top Bottom