Keychain password manager vs 3rd party

Soldato
OP
I've paid £20 for Dashlane with their Black Friday discount and imported everything to it, working perfectly so far.

How you finding it?

Im given 1p another go, I just think the integration with MAC is so good, and 1p support is top notch, my only complaint is the price, I guess $35 isn't silly amounts though, its just that some are a lot cheaper or free.

Commissario
Im given 1p another go, I just think the integration with MAC is so good, and 1p support is top notch, my only complaint is the price, I guess $35 isn't silly amounts though, its just that some are a lot cheaper or free.
I initially thought that when they moved to a subscription model, I've been a 1Password user since version 2 in 2008 and always kept up with the latest version when it was released.

I've got four devices using 1Password now so if I split it down, I'm paying $8.75 per device per year. I don't begrudge that for something which works so well.

Soldato
OP
Anyone using passkeys with a password manger where available?

Im going to try out an account with one soon, just trying to get my head around things though, does it replace my email/password login entirely?

What if I moved to a different password manager how would one move the passkey to the new password manager?

Soldato
Anyone using passkeys with a password manger where available?

Im going to try out an account with one soon, just trying to get my head around things though, does it replace my email/password login entirely?

What if I moved to a different password manager how would one move the passkey to the new password manager?
I don't have a clue about passkeys. For some weird reason my Apple ID now uses one but I can't for the life of me remember how. I use Bitwarden with a Yubikey so I can wait for a little while to figure it all out.

If anyone has any help let me know!

Soldato
OP
I don't have a clue about passkeys. For some weird reason my Apple ID now uses one but I can't for the life of me remember how. I use Bitwarden with a Yubikey so I can wait for a little while to figure it all out.

If anyone has any help let me know!

Yeah it's all confusing, from reading a passkey is very secure, so would like to use them where available, just need to understand them a bit more when it comes to any worse case scenario for example having a backup, and how you can move around to a different password manager with them like with passwords currently you just export and move into new PW manager. My fear as technology evolves is getting locked out of things with all the increasing security measures.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
1 week in with 1password, and I just find it much better than Bitwarden. I think the integration on MAC is a lot better, the fact the browser extension is not separate from the main desktop app is a big plus, that was something that was quite rubbish with Bitwarden, having to unlock them separately if the need.

I think BW is good, but it looks so basic when comparing with 1p and BW is not as user friendly, there are advanced settings in BW for example that can be changed for the better but in reality this should be default and not needed for the end user to have to think about. Can't remember exactly what it was but it was something to do with a better encryption Argon2id setting, then you had all this nonsense about what's the best iteration number to have with this, I mean really, not user friendly at all.

I think in the long term BW need to up their game a fair bit, Out dated UI, not as user friendly, lagging behind in key areas such as passkey support. Sure its a very popular PW manager currently but for the most part thats because its free or very cheap for the premium features. I can see them falling behind soon if they are not careful.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom