• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

KFA2 & 8 PACK SMASH THE COMPETITION with 8 PACK GTX 1080Ti EDITION!!

Soldato
I am afraid not.
As we say the 8 Pack edition is a cherry and not aimed at regular consumers.

Your far better off buying the regular HOF or just an EX OC or FE, simply because in real world in gaming you'd struggle to see any difference in performance.

That's the thing right there, best of the best would included warranty I my view. Can't argue with price tag as it does what its set out to do.
I'm sure cliental would be super impressed with the extra year offered :)

You'll have to ask @8 Pack to do a "do not disturb" door hanger for it :D that extra zing :)

Soldato
I can't believe people pay £950 quid for a card that offers such a marginal difference to one at £650. It's like £35 per frame per second lol.

last gen the top tier cards with 76% asic were $999 USD and 3 year warranty so this is pretty much par for the course to those small bunch of peeps who want to sub-zero cool their cards.

Soldato
last gen the top tier cards with 76% asic were $999 USD and 3 year warranty so this is pretty much par for the course to those small bunch of peeps who want to sub-zero cool their cards.

Oh I'm not disputing that a market for this exists. I just think it's totally bonkers.

I imagine performance difference in the real world is so miniscule that it only comes down to a pretty (subjective) cooler and a few bigger numbers in benchmarks.

Paying a premium for this might suit some people but I find its getting obscene now.

Its like the Asus 1080 strix oc compared to an FE oc. It gets 1% more frames. My £35 per frame per second was actually probably too generous. It's probably closer to £100 per frame per second.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good for those who can afford to splurge. Go for it if you can throw the money away :)

I do find it odd that it doesn't offer much higher clocks as standard though.

Soldato
Complete waste of money, i would at least be expecting them to be clocked to 2.0-2.1ghz out of the box, or even 2.2 if they are the very rare binned part that can manage it.

Associate
For those looking to use the clown card, watercooling is a good shout (though it might bring the overall cost up to the same levels as the more popular custom coolers, considering how much the waterblock, radiator, etc would add to the cost).

Even a shoddy job at watercooling provides some decent performance as we see by the Gamer's Nexus Hybrid.

Caporegime
Price reflects the binning and the quality of the gpu. Binning is not cheap at any level.

These cards are truly stunning.

But binned to what? Just saying they are cherry picked and binned and guaranteeing an extra 38Mhz over a standard 1080ti isnt saying or claiming much? AT least with your cpu you get "4.6Ghz guaranteed" etc. This would be the same as you trying to sell a 8 pack binned cpu runs at 3.6Ghz instead of the standard 3.4Ghz but no mention that its cherry picked and can do 4.8Ghz.

Man of Honour
I do find it odd that it doesn't offer much higher clocks as standard though.

It is what the cards boost to that counts.

If you had an 80% ASIC Kingpin 980 Ti it would have cost you £950 yet it's stock clocks are quite low. What makes the difference is the high boost clocks and overclocking headroom even on stock volts and air that takes it past the other 980 Ti cards.

Soldato
Ignoring the clocks etc, all I am going to say is that is one heck of an ugly GPU. It looks cheap and really does not give an impression of mid level let alone the elite enthusiast market it is aimed at?

Why all the stupid chamfers? The 8-Pack series of PC's look stunning and have their subtle design hints and this comes along and doesn't really fit anything. Where is the custom 8-Pack acrylic waterblock for the HOF 8-Pack WC version with custom 8-Pack back plate and similar?

Now moving onto the clocks. I don't really understand this? It is actually no faster than a few other cards out there anyways. The Zotac AMP Extreme has the same 1759Mhz Boost.

If we know we can clock them to 2100Mhz or 2200Mhz why not state guaranteed overclock levels if they have all been binned? Not sure I know anyone who would select this over the AMP extreme for less money, same speed and 5 year warranty.

These are for the foolish in honesty who haven't checked specs and nothing more than a name tagged on to sell them. Really disappointed in this product.

Soldato
If people don't understand the price then its not the card for them. Gibbo put it clearly that there are FE cards for the masses.

Who is it aimed it? People with more money than sense?

Do people happily pay £250 premiums in order to have a better chance of having a few higher numbers on a benchmark?

£950 for something that plays games exactly the same as a £700 quid card makes zero sense no matter how you spin it.

Soldato
If we know we can clock them to 2100Mhz or 2200Mhz why not state guaranteed overclock levels if they have all been binned? Not sure I know anyone who would select this over the AMP extreme for less money, same speed and 5 year warranty.

These are for the foolish in honesty who haven't checked specs and nothing more than a name tagged on to sell them. Really disappointed in this product.

I doubt anyone who would consider an AMP! would be interested in the HOF 8 Pack. This card is not aimed at them, its directly aimed at people who probably do not frequent this forum.

The fact that people posting here about playing games and talking about warranty levels with these cards confirms this.

There is quite a grey market which happens on overclocking forums for the best parts, this includes engineering samples of CPU's. GPU's, RAM etc. and the sums can be eyewatering.

These people don't really care about warranty, it needs to be able to do a single afternoons worth of benching, if it dies, it dies and they will need to source another part.

Hence the benchers term 'suicide run'.

It is well known (and advertised) how many GPU's are used, binned and thrown away by certain benchers trying to push the limits. This cost is also extreme and is not a cost usually seen or talked about but it is in the thousands.

These GPU's will be binned for ASIC and possibly voltage at certain frequencies for use on chilled liquid or LN2 for a small bunch of people to use for benchmarking on HWBOT and the like, they probably will not be used for playing games on using air-cooling.

The very best parts will be kept by the vendors themselves to set world records with but there is still a decent chance that you will get a card that you can break some records with, without having to pay thousands to bin yourself.

These hobbyist benchers will be quitely thinking 'thank god' that Galax/8pack are gonna bin for them because it is going to save them time and money. And yeah, 8pack and OCUK will probably bang a few out inside pre-made rigs but that's all part of the game and keeps sales volume going.

I very much doubt that the LN2 crowd will be dissapointed with this card, it has the potential ability to get into 2.5GHZ+ with LN2 and 2.3GHZ with chilled liquid.

EVGA/Kingpin will not have it all their own way for much longer, Galax/8Pack are knocking on the door. The AMP! is a nice card for the air-cooled crowd but it does not have the brass ones for top league overclocking and that is what this card is all about. These cards will allow people not vendor sponsored to compete and that should be applauded.

Fair play to Galax and 8Pack for having a go !

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom