Kid bypassing Laptop Windows Password

Soldato
One thing that makes no sense, why not just take the laptop?

We don't have enough information to help you, you don't have enough information to help you. They can't bypass security if they don't have the laptop.

Soldato
OP
A 6 year old probably isn't going to have access to some of the technical tools that an adult with physical access to the device would have.

No amount of security is going to prevent someone with enough time, resources, and physical access to a device from gaining entry.

But you know (if you read the thread) its someone with a history of hacking devices has circumvented the W11 password before Windows loads. They haven't guessed the password.
All they need is a USB key and access to the internet on other infrastructure. What technical tools? They can't use the device normally unless they have physical access to it. So thats given. Age is irrelevant. In just mind fart from people not thinking it through. As such doesn't deserve and answer.

Soldato
I wouldn't say it's a "mind fart" as it's highly relevant as you've shown, like i said no amount of security is going to prevent someone with physical access to a device from, well, accessing it.

The only thing that changes that is someone's age, the likelihood that someone will have access to what's needed increases as they get older. E.g if you locked the laptop in a hardened steel box i could just buy an angle grinder whereas a 6 year old probably couldn't.

e: No amount of 'anti-hacking' or other software based security measures will prevent someone from gaining access to a device if they have physical access to it. At best all you're doing is delaying any intrusion, using DiD to slow down any unauthorised access attempts until you physical block the persons access.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
One thing that makes no sense, why not just take the laptop?

We don't have enough information to help you, you don't have enough information to help you. They can't bypass security if they don't have the laptop.

I thought changing the password would be sufficient temp measure, as has been previously.

Soldato
OP
I wouldn't say it's a "mind fart" as it's highly relevant as you've shown, like i said no amount of security is going to prevent someone with physical access to a device from, well, accessing it.

The only thing that changes that is someone's age, the liklyhood that someone will have access to what's needed increases as they get older. E.g if you locked the laptop in a hardened steel box i could just buy an angle grinder whereas a 6 year old probably couldn't.

I could just move the laptop off site. But that doesn't answer the question asked. My question wasn't how do I secure the laptop. So no age is not relevant.

Last edited:
Soldato
You're thinking like a cave man. Brute force.
Wow, thanks. Way to miss the point and throw an insult at someone trying to help. :(
They don't need to use an angle grinder they can just find a way past the lock. If you have physical access to the box and lock (and key) so will they. They just have to find it. There's' a finite number of hiding places for things, before the solutions is more work than the problem you're trying to solve.
Like i said you're missing the point, that was an example of no matter how extreme you go with security nothing is going to stop someone with physical access to the device from accessing it and the data on it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Wow, thanks. Way to miss the point and throw an insult at someone trying to help. :(

Like i said you're missing the point, that was an example of no matter how extreme you go with security nothing is going to stop someone with physical access to the device from accessing it and the data on it.

Hard to take steel box and angle grinders seriously. Considering it wouldn't work either. Since I have tools and even bolt cutters that could go through most locks.

Also you're answering a question I didn't ask.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
playing devils advocate here for a second... Are you looking for every password bypass method or actual solid sound advice to shut the behaviour down? One will keep the conversation going forever the other only you have the power to do.

Man of Honour
I just wondered how it was done. That was the question asked.

As for behavior https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scorpion_and_the_Frog

I didn't mention anything about that, I was trying to keep it strictly PC. I said my bit a page back :) - Anyway just shut it down, doesn't matter how you do it with tech or whatever... what you don't want though is the little blighter growing up thinking he can outsmart you every step of the way (even though he probably can)... It doesn't matter how you do it, you have to put a stop to that early doors my man!

Im trying to work out how that fable is appropriate in this context? Are overlockers the scorpions, is your son the scorpion and you are the ever suffering frog? doesn't matter I guess, just interesting seeing how peoples mind work.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hard to take steel box and angle grinders seriously. Considering it wouldn't work either. Since I have tools and even bolt cutters that could go through most locks.

Also you're answering a question I didn't ask.
Yea, no. You asked this...
Ok one of the Kids is bypassing the the laptop (w11) password.
Two accounts on the laptop mine and theirs. Both with random passwords that can't be guessed. Kid still Managed to get on it.
Now I'm wondering has he a keylogger on it. Nothing in the USB ports. Could he have something on it that exists before Windows Loads.

I'm going to wipe the machine and put linux on it. Leave him with no account on it. But I'm curious how he's getting on it.
And people have been telling you that the how is irrelevant because anyone with physical access to the device could use a million and one ways to bypass the laptops password, that it's not a security issue because all security does is delay unauthorised access attempts until you take more permanent measures.

If that's not the question you asked maybe you'd like be a little more specific.

Also, thanks for the apology for saying i was "thinking like a cave man".

Man of Honour

And people have been telling you that the how is irrelevant because anyone with physical access to the device could use a million and one ways to bypass the laptops password, that it's not a security issue because all security does is delay unauthorised access attempts until you take more permanent measures.

If that's not the question you asked maybe you'd like be a little more specific.

Captain caveman rocked and you know it. Secretly you loved that.

Soldato
OP

In none of that did I asked how stop him getting access. Though someone helpfully pointed out you can bypass in Linux also.

Soldato
OP

"But I'm curious how he's getting on it." seems fairly specific.

I guess I should have said he doesn't need to brute force it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I didn't mention anything about that, I was trying to keep it strictly PC. I said my bit a page back :) - Anyway just shut it down, doesn't matter how you do it with tech or whatever... what you don't want though is the little blighter growing up thinking he can outsmart you every step of the way (even though he probably can)... It doesn't matter how you do it, you have to put a stop to that early doors my man!

Im trying to work out how that fable is appropriate in this context? Are overlockers the scorpions, is your son the scorpion and you are the ever suffering frog? doesn't matter I guess, just interesting seeing how peoples mind work.

Hard to change someone habits if its their nature. Since "shut the behaviour down" I assume was referring to that.

Man of Honour
Hard to change someone habits if its their nature. Since "shut the behaviour down" I assume was referring to that.

Ahh I see that makes sense, if hacking stuff is in his nature though you might want to point him to some of the stories about what happens when you get caught... he thinks he is smart now... I bet Assange thought he was smart until he got caught :D

Not exactly on the same level as "lads I keep hacking my dads account, its hilarious' but aye it all starts somewhere! Was never an issue back in captain caveman times, life was much simpler back then. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
In none of that did I asked how stop him getting access. Though someone helpfully pointed out you can bypass in Linux also.
"But I'm curious how he's getting on it." seems fairly specific.

I guess I should have said he doesn't need to brute force it.
Then that raises the question of why you're curious, I'm not saying it's wrong to be curious but as has been said the how of it can be a million and one ways, none of which you'll be able to discern with any degree of confidence.

Back
Top Bottom