kielder observatory

Soldato
Got a few visits lined up for this place,one event which sounds good would suit Mr Castiel:)
http://www.kielderobservatory.org/e...iew_detail&agid=395&year=2012&month=05&day=18

http://www.kielderobservatory.org/

kielder_observatory_charlesbarclay130808_1.jpg

kielder3.jpg

kielder-observatory-by-charles-barclay-architectsint-pulsar-telescope.jpg

Permabanned
Interesting place, but what on earth were the planning department thinking in passing that monstrosity of a building and allowing it to exist!

Soldato
OP
From the site.

It incorporates a 20" mirror operating at f4, giving it a 80" focal length.This is a reasonably "fast" optical configuration yielding splendid wide field images of deep sky objects. Planetary observations should really be attempted using the 14" Meade LX200.

The scope was developed and manufactured by Pulsar Optical company.

The top cage is rotatable so giving ease of observations, I have personally tested collimation during rotation and it held reasonably well. As always with this type of configuration you will always loose some degree of collimation, the trick is to observe one part of the sky fully before attempting to rotate the cage, so decreasing the likelihood of loss of collimation.

The primary mirror is fitted with cooling fans and a dew heater is fitted to the secondary mirror. There is room for a motor to be fitted to the polar axis so that we can track objects, hence the equatorial mount. Presently we are attempting to locate a motor suitable for the job, any suggestions gladly welcomed by all.

20" Split Ring Equatorial

This telescope is a prototype design of a split ring equatorial style scope, with a truss tube design.

Optical Design Newtonian
Clear Aperture 508mm(20")
Focal Length Focal Ratio 2032mm f/4 (80")
Telescope Mounting Equatorial

They also have a 14" Meade LX200R

Optical Design Schmidt Cassegrain
Clear Aperture 356mm(14")
Focal Length Focal Ratio 3556mm f/10 (14")
Maximum Practical Visual Power 850X (14")
Telescope Mounting heavy-duty fork type; double-tine
Primary Mirror Lock included (progressivTHtension)
Zero Image-Shift Micro Focuser included (4-speed) All models
Viewfinder 8 x 50mm
GPS, True-level and North sensors included (16-channel GPS receiver)
Pointing Precision, High Precision Mode 1-arc min.
Autostar® II Hand Controller included (147,541 object database)
Slew Speeds: RA and Dec: 0TH1x to1.0x sidereal,
variable in0.01x increments; 2x, 8x,
16x, 64x, 128x sidereal;
1°/sec. to 8°/sec.,
variable in 0.1° increments
Tracking Rates sidereal, lunar, or custom-selected
from 2000 incremental rates
Primary, Secondary Mirrors Pyrex® glass grade-A
Correcting Plate/Lens Water white glass
Optical coatings UHTC

equip-14inch.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a very nice design, it fits in well I don't know why people are complaining.
That's such an awesome project, you should feel proud to be part of it.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

They also have a 14" Meade LX200R

I have an 10" Meade LX200 that I inherited from my Gradnfather - lovely peice of kit.

Have the foggiest how to use it though, must get on a course at some point :)

Soldato
Me and my dad went on a organised night up there towards the end of last year. The telescopes are quite frankly amazing at what they can do. I was gutted as the wind was too strong so they couldn't open the doors, but from what they were saying, you can view the 10m thick rings of Saturn from the electronic one on a clear night!

I imagine one of the lads will also mention the singular light you can see from the observatory. They ended pointing the telescope at it to find out what it was, a table lamp from a house across the reservoir :D

I travelled back up there and parked up just off the path and had a look up at the sky on a clear night. My god. I'd seen clear dark skies before, but nothing like that!

I really hope the weather is right for you on the night you go up, I imagine it will be one hell of a spectacle!

Soldato
OP
Me and my dad went on a organised night up there towards the end of last year. The telescopes are quite frankly amazing at what they can do. I was gutted as the wind was too strong so they couldn't open the doors, but from what they were saying, you can view the 10m thick rings of Saturn from the electronic one on a clear night!

I imagine one of the lads will also mention the singular light you can see from the observatory. They ended pointing the telescope at it to find out what it was, a table lamp from a house across the reservoir :D

I travelled back up there and parked up just off the path and had a look up at the sky on a clear night. My god. I'd seen clear dark skies before, but nothing like that!

I really hope the weather is right for you on the night you go up, I imagine it will be one hell of a spectacle!

Nice one mate,i've got two viewing nights booked,just hope the weather is good on the nights i go,not to far to for me to travel either.you should come to the dates i have booked,have a little ocuk meet.

Last edited:
Associate
"The first curtain raiser is on the 18th May 2012 and is an attempt to address the growing question of Gods place in the universe, with science advancing at an ever increasing rate, we move slowly from spirituality and more toward science, or do we? joining Prof Wolfendale will be astro physicisit and principle of St Johns college Durham reverend Prof David Wilkinson"

Nice looking place.

The above blurb from the website is questionable however in more ways than one...

'astro physicisit' ?

Soldato
OP
"The first curtain raiser is on the 18th May 2012 and is an attempt to address the growing question of Gods place in the universe, with science advancing at an ever increasing rate, we move slowly from spirituality and more toward science, or do we? joining Prof Wolfendale will be astro physicisit and principle of St Johns college Durham reverend Prof David Wilkinson"

Nice looking place.

The above blurb from the website is questionable however in more ways than one...

'astro physicisit' ?

aye lol,thats my birthday so am going,i like a good debate,although i shall be quiet on this one and take some input in:)

Back
Top Bottom