Kill Weeds forever

Soldato
bleach kills everything too and costs pennies for 2 litres from aldi.

i want a permanent solution. it looks like there is none.

I'm going to try salt now though as it's cheaper and more environmentally friendly to boot. no chance of a random cat dying from salt.
your household 'bleach' from aldi doesn't come close to the potency and most certainly doesn't kill everything - despite what it may or may not say on the label. i give our stones and paths a spray one a year and am more or less weed free year round. you're quite right in that there isn't a permanent solution but this is as close as i've found without killing the ground completely with burned oil or diesel.

Associate
seal them with a urethane sealant

like I said

82F987DD3DEF48E28A57.jpeg

resiblock ultra matt
around £200 for 10 litres but should last 20yrs, its used for runways

Soldato
if you have a mask already, Round-up. It's a systemic weed killer, kills anything (or gives it cancer :p) within a small radius. I tend to buy a big 5 litre bottle from BANDQ every couple of years, assuming you can still buy it after the recent controversy.

Soldato
Im going to hijack the thread a little bit here as theres is no point making a new thread. Our garden is just a load of pebbles, the membrane under neath is ruined and weeds come through everywhere, I am sick of pulling the weeds out once a month.

What would you guys recommend to keep them out (Considering I have a dog). Obviously I'm okay with once or twice a year having to respray or cover but I just dont want to have to weed once a month as its a ballache.

Soldato
if you have a mask already, Round-up. It's a systemic weed killer, kills anything (or gives it cancer :p) within a small radius. I tend to buy a big 5 litre bottle from BANDQ every couple of years, assuming you can still buy it after the recent controversy.
Post 6 beat you to it. Don't buy roundup your just paying for a name, go for one of the cheaper Glyphosate 360. (Roundup Pro)

Caporegime
OP

i have bought the 5l stuff from amazon and ebay before. but it comes back every year. also roundup is 10 times more expensive than the stuff on amazon and ebay for the same thing.

i use bleach now which is even cheaper. 2 litres for a £1.50 from aldi / lidl.

I'm going to go with salt. 3kg for £1. salt should soak into the soil and more salt over time should get it to the point nothing can grow there.

but stuff will still grow at the top just roots won't establish deep. so not as bad or as big.

Soldato
Post 6 beat you to it. Don't buy roundup your just paying for a name, go for one of the cheaper Glyphosate 360. (Roundup Pro)
Ah, didn't know that. I'm not much into gardening so just bought round-up will little research but will look for an alternative in future.
Never considered bleach or salt either as mentioned above.

Im going to hijack the thread a little bit here as theres is no point making a new thread. Our garden is just a load of pebbles, the membrane under neath is ruined and weeds come through everywhere, I am sick of pulling the weeds out once a month.

What would you guys recommend to keep them out (Considering I have a dog). Obviously I'm okay with once or twice a year having to respray or cover but I just dont want to have to weed once a month as its a ballache.
Can you not replace the liner?
I have a similar problem where I had stone chippings put down a few years ago. I'm assuming it's because the gardener that did it wasn't able to dig up all of the old lawn/weeds that was there before so the weeds keep coming through. It's worse there for weeds than around the other side of the house where there is no liner (cheap *** builders).

Soldato
Can you not replace the liner?
I have a similar problem where I had stone chippings put down a few years ago. I'm assuming it's because the gardener that did it wasn't able to dig up all of the old lawn/weeds that was there before so the weeds keep coming through. It's worse there for weeds than around the other side of the house where there is no liner (cheap *** builders).

if i was to go to the effort of pulling up all the existing pebbles to lay a new liner I'd just skip the pebbles and seed. However its not really an option now to do so but it is on my list to evenually get around too.

Back
Top Bottom