Killing Eve

Soldato
Wife and I binge watched this when it came out. Both enjoyed it and I think was was better than the bodyguard which was being hyped to hell at the time. I agree with the above that Black Comedy is the best description.

Missus is a fan of Sandra Oh from Gray's Anatomy but for both of us Jodie Comer stole the show. The switches between seemingly normal young lady and psycho assassin were superb. Something new comes up with her in and it'll guarantee our attention.

Soldato
caught up with broadcast - why am I still watching it ? - I'm revising down my opinion of this - a stupid black comedy
some of the ridiculous elements of Scary movie with killer/victim interaction, but, that's mean to be slapstic.
Had initially thought it was playing to the empowered-women / #metoo narrative, but the two female characters are just off-piste now, are they just going to elope together Thelma and Louise'esque
not even a good black portrayal of a psycopath - compared to channel 4's utopia killer, say.

With TV, like this, produced for worldwide market, can't help thinking there is some dumbing down for USA market, and throwing in gratuitous elements that those markets demand, minimal swearing though ?

[per the original, usa thread
But Killing Eve is an original BBC America commission, made by production company Sid Gentle Films (BBC Worldwide holds a majority stake in the company, which is known for SS-GB and The Durrells). BBC America is a US cable channel that forms part of the BBC’s commercial arm (joint owned by AMC Networks and BBC Studios, established to supplement licence-fee income by producing and distributing programmes alongside third-party independent companies). ]

Soldato
Episode 5 watched this morning and it went silly into the realms of others have said black comedy rather than a thriller, still sticking with it hoping that it ends with a ending worth sticking around for.

Soldato
Watching episode 8 now and still good. Glad there is a season 2 so I can get more of main character. She steals the show, fantastic acting

Soldato
...She steals the show, fantastic acting
I think we all agree on the most attractive (well Nadia only had a small part ;)) but best actor is up for debate ? Oh - no ?

edit: as a reference point everyone turned off Dr.Foster - yes ?

Permabanned
Thought it was fantastic!

I actually missed the first 2 episodes and caught the third almost entirely by accident (wondered in on my mah watching it). I'm a big Le Carre fan and therefore find it extremely difficult to get on with anything 'spyish' that's not in his style, however I thought the tone of the show made it almost immune to any criticisms I would usually have. It never felt like it wanted to be taken too seriously and trod that very careful line between clichéd BBC drama and jet black comedy, it almost felt satirical of the former at times!

Smartly written, wonderfully dark and superbly acted!

Soldato
I actually missed the first 2 episodes
still on iplayer - first episode is best. - when it knew what gendre/thriller it was.

I signed up for that - not inconsistancy , where you don't know if the director/writer was in control of their faculties, or, the budget precluded re-work.

edit : re-plugging ;) so many better places to spend your time https://www.channel4.com/programmes/mr-avila, for free.

Last edited:
Permabanned
still on iplayer - first episode is best. - when it knew what gendre/thriller it was.

I signed up for that - not inconsistancy , where you don't know if the director/writer was in control of their faculties, or, the budget precluded re-work.

Did they actually do major reshoots then?

Either way, can't say the mix of tones bothered me that much. Then again, I'm a Twin Peaks fan so I actually prefer a show with a sharp juxtapose of tones xD

Permabanned
#metoo - characters are consistent there though (re-boot is still on my sky todo list and should perhaps stay there)

I was being facetious about character drift.

Oh... apologies xD

You should definitely check out Season 3! You a fan of Lynch generally or just the 'better' episodes of the series in general?

Soldato
The one part that I found jarring about this series was how Sandra Oh's portrayed as, on the whole, a likeable and good person, but that conflicts with how she treats her husband like ****, culminating in her actually starting to smack him about, and him not only letting her get away with it without just walking out on their marriage, but excusing her behaviour in a truly domestically violent portrayal. Felt odd.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just finished it tonight. Thought it was fantastic. Not world changing but a very innovative/different sort of thing to watch. I can never get on with the generic UK crime/police dramas (The Bodyguard looked like a total snorefest) -- I find them so derivative. This was original, funny and dramatic. Perfect wind down telly for a weeknight.

Laugh out loud funny in places, thought Kenny was great as a "straight" man. Loved the comedy accents (they were definitely hamming them up for comedic value, yes?). Loved the sarcasm and backtalk from Villanelle.

Well worth a watch, I shall be recommending it to everyone!

Bonus points: music by David Holmes? Excellent soundtrack, also very original and set it apart.

Soldato
Just finished it tonight. Thought it was fantastic. Not world changing but a very innovative/different sort of thing to watch. I can never get on with the generic UK crime/police dramas (The Bodyguard looked like a total snorefest) -- I find them so derivative. This was original, funny and dramatic. Perfect wind down telly for a weeknight.

Laugh out loud funny in places, thought Kenny was great as a "straight" man. Loved the comedy accents (they were definitely hamming them up for comedic value, yes?). Loved the sarcasm and backtalk from Villanelle.

Well worth a watch, I shall be recommending it to everyone!

Bonus points: music by David Holmes? Excellent soundtrack, also very original and set it apart.

Question, did you get that there was a black comedy tone right from the off? Are you completely confused by those above who thought at some point the tone shifted dramatically? I thought it was completely eccentric and playful right from the off. The tone had me hooked after 10 minutes.

Soldato
Question, did you get that there was a black comedy tone right from the off? Are you completely confused by those above who thought at some point the tone shifted dramatically? I thought it was completely eccentric and playful right from the off. The tone had me hooked after 10 minutes.
Yes I am very confused by those who said there was a big tonal shift. The comedy is in the trailers, also :confused:

Maybe it's some of the generic BBC-or-ITV-police-detective-drama-series-set-in-a-northern-town-that's-definitely-not-London-and-we'll-prove-it-by-putting-on-a-weird-mixture-of-northern-accents brigade, that thought they were getting something else :o

Soldato
Yes I am very confused by those who said there was a big tonal shift. The comedy is in the trailers, also
eg. Oh, had her head screwed on in the first episode (serious researcher, capable of self-introspection) and she degenerated to a slapstick personality making ridiculous decisions in the chase episode when V&2colleagues were on their hit mission.

Soldato
on a slightly different tack - following decortication/post-mortem in doctor who thread
what message the intended demographic/audience received from the show, if USA/UK empowered-women segment are not triggered then eveyone is h-a-p-p-y , if others/me think it may play into a gone girl, basic instinct stereotype, who cares, neither of them got the knife out though.

Soldato
Half way through this now, really enjoying it, and the light dark comic relief. Has a slight 'In Bruge' feel to it.

I didn't expect the comedic aspect, but it's welcome.

Loving the flippant, playful, psychotic assassin portrayal by Jodie Comer.

Back
Top Bottom