Kitchen Appliances

one of the things i'd seen with the Zanussi and like the idea off that the hob will control the hood. does it actually work as good as it might seem ?
I wouldn't say it's perfect, but It's actually really useful.
When I turn the power on on the hob, the extractor lights turn on. Then the extractor turns on/increases speed the more stuff you have going (I assume it goes off a temperature sensor in the hob/cacluated off how much power is being used). There are some times it turns the extractor up when I don't think it needs to, and the occasional time it could do with being on, but it's not turned it on yet, but I'd say I probably only interveen & manually change the extractor level once a month at most (and we cook fresh every day).

I wouldn't buy a hob/extractor purely based on that feature, but if it was between 2 that were otherwise identical, I'd definitely get it again.

Good post, but you have to pick one brand in a kitchen for consistency.
I know a lot of people think this, but I thoroughly dissagree. I agree that all ovens/built in microwaves etc need to be the same brand & range, so they look the same, but there's no need to get the same brand hob as oven for example. Even less so a built in dishwasher that you can't even see. Just get whichever has the features you want & is the best for your budget.

I have Neff Oven & Microwave, Zanussi Hob, AEG Hood, Hisense Dishwasher, LG Fridge & Candy wine fridge. ALl individually selected because they were what I felt were the best VFM with the features I wanted. Most branding is so descrete anyway (I wouldn't want anything too in your face), you can't tell if they're the same or not unless you go looking.

I am a bit of a snob when it comes to kitchen stuff, it is the most used room in our house and if you work out value per use and getting something expensive is not such a bad idea.

Haha yeah, Neff indeed (not Netflix).

Bosch dishwasher are great. Just get a series 4 on offer. Don't get one with the top cutlery drawer as it limits the height of dinner plates on the bottom row and first shelf.

Standard 2 shelf ones win with a cutlery basket.
I had a cutlery basket with my last Bosch and also hotpoint before that and did not find it any good. With a family of 4 those basket do not hold as many as the top tray and tray means less overlap or touching and clean better
If you move your shelf up for normal sized dinner plates, then the first level won't have enough room for stacked glasses.

The only solution is 2 dishwashers, 1 with a cutlery tray, 1 without. I miss the 2 from our last place :D
I need to check which model I got but I can fit large plates in bottom and pint glass at the second tray on the two side edges and top tray for cutlery
I’d love two dishwashers, If I was to redo my kitchen I certainly would go for 2 dishwashers.

Once one is done and all clean, you just leave the stuff in there and use it as storage and fill the other one. Saves you having to empty the dishwasher!
If my kitchen is big enough I would, a bit of an initial investment but if based on current design of appliance where you replace rather than repair after x amount of years you will need to buy 2nd dishwasher before your lifespan lol. If one fails you still have another running.

For cooker and hood we have Range 120cm, the gas control knobs chrome disappears after 15 years and the door closing needed re-adjusting, still going strong. Current Bosch is 5 years old and last Bosch dishwasher lasted 10 before the pump gave up, repair cost almost 1/2 of the new so just replaced instead. Most appliance are standard size so changing in the future is not such a big deal, the design and layout is more important as changing the arrangement often means taking out the whole set up !

I wouldn't say it's perfect, but It's actually really useful.
When I turn the power on on the hob, the extractor lights turn on. Then the extractor turns on/increases speed the more stuff you have going (I assume it goes off a temperature sensor in the hob/cacluated off how much power is being used). There are some times it turns the extractor up when I don't think it needs to, and the occasional time it could do with being on, but it's not turned it on yet, but I'd say I probably only interveen & manually change the extractor level once a month at most (and we cook fresh every day).

I wouldn't buy a hob/extractor purely based on that feature, but if it was between 2 that were otherwise identical, I'd definitely get it again.
I guess there will be a way to turn off that function? We do a fair bit of steaming and slow cooking and would not want the hood to be on at all.

I am a bit of a snob when it comes to kitchen stuff, it is the most used room in our house and if you work out value per use and getting something expensive is not such a bad idea.

I had a cutlery basket with my last Bosch and also hotpoint before that and did not find it any good. With a family of 4 those basket do not hold as many as the top tray and tray means less overlap or touching and clean better

I need to check which model I got but I can fit large plates in bottom and pint glass at the second tray on the two side edges and top tray for cutlery

If my kitchen is big enough I would, a bit of an initial investment but if based on current design of appliance where you replace rather than repair after x amount of years you will need to buy 2nd dishwasher before your lifespan lol. If one fails you still have another running.

For cooker and hood we have Range 120cm, the gas control knobs chrome disappears after 15 years and the door closing needed re-adjusting, still going strong. Current Bosch is 5 years old and last Bosch dishwasher lasted 10 before the pump gave up, repair cost almost 1/2 of the new so just replaced instead. Most appliance are standard size so changing in the future is not such a big deal, the design and layout is more important as changing the arrangement often means taking out the whole set up !

True but you’d expect it to last twice as long as it isn’t getting used as much as the burden is being shared.

True but you’d expect it to last twice as long as it isn’t getting used as much as the burden is being shared.
Not if they design the wear and tear parts with built in expiry, for example the water pump will use parts which will start to corrode and rust as soon as you start using it and exposing it to water corrosion. Electronic circuits where the corrosion starts as soon as it is in humid environment/steam from washing. Conspiracy theory box ticked :p

Bosch or Neff. Same company.

We've had NEFF stuff for just over 8 years

2 ovens
Microwave
warming Drawer
Dishwasher

Microwave just had a new magnetron £240
Dishwasher faults on eco mode. Cant be bothered getting that looked at as never use ECO mode. All been great that aside.

Bosch or Neff. Same company.

We've had NEFF stuff for just over 8 years

2 ovens
Microwave
warming Drawer
Dishwasher

Microwave just had a new magnetron £240
Dishwasher faults on eco mode. Cant be bothered getting that looked at as never use ECO mode. All been great that aside.
I always use eco mode, I just set it up on the timer so it does it during the night. Open the door on the way out with the dog first thing then empty when I get back.

Saves money and water. Win win for me.
Not if they design the wear and tear parts with built in expiry, for example the water pump will use parts which will start to corrode and rust as soon as you start using it and exposing it to water corrosion. Electronic circuits where the corrosion starts as soon as it is in humid environment/steam from washing. Conspiracy theory box ticked :p

Yeh, true, never thought about that! That’s actually true though, isn’t anything conspiracy about it! SYSK done a pod on it, it’s required to keep companies afloat most of the time.

I’d still love two though would be so good.

Back
Top Bottom