Kitchen Renovation

Soldato
We decided now is the right time to gte our very old dated kitchen redone.

This was my kitchen.

7fdbe6aee0a8edb7f7150243c11ffc229789bb40%20%28Custom%29.jpg

On the surface, it seems fine and looked ok... however the cupboard inside were starting to rot due to age - estimated it was around 30-40 years old and just touched up/painted etc over the years.
The cupbaord didn't have any kick plinths and I didnt want to buy some for such an old out dated kitchen as we always wanted to start fresh with it when we bought the house 2 years ago.

The floor was carpet tiles, much like what you would find in an office - the problem is that any spillage or leaks etc made them stain and it wasn't great.

The other issue was the condition of the electrics behind the walls and cupbaords etc, no idea of that.
The cupboard on the side of the wall where the cooker is/was didnt even have any rear carcase, you could see the bare wall at the back - not exactly hygenic.

The final issue was that the walls were a mess.

So last week I ripped out the whole lot, I wanted to see what condition the walls were like behind the cupboards etc. I actually really enjoyed removing it all.

Here is the current position I am in now.

2018-08-12%2019.33.56.jpg

We noticed damp on the wall next to the window. that was mostly covered by tiles before hand.

2018-08-13%2020.54.25.jpg

After further inspection, the cause is damaged roof felt on the kitchen (flat roof) so I have a roofing company coming to assess the damage Thursday - from the photos I have emailed they said the worst case is £1200 for all new boards in the roof and new felt, but maybe cheaper once they inspect and may only need a partial repair - I think I may get them to just do it all for peace of mind for future proofing anyway.

Here is the roof damage

2018-08-16%2015.26.46.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I am doing a lot myself, except for the roof repair and replastering and electrics.

Overall cost/budget is £15k that includes the roof repair.

The kitchen is being fitted with 2 seperate ovens as my wife has a home cake baking business. The worktops are all quartz too, this is not a cheap option

Soldato
OP
I think my £15k budget is going to end up being a lot lot less. Maybe £6k now hahah :)

Cabinets and doors all ordered. (bugger.... just realised I forgot to order the plinths for the bottom of the cupboards - will order them seperately tonight)
1Capture.JPG

Soldato
OP
I'm having a full new roof fitted next week (just awaiting the roofer to check which day next week he can do) so neww boards and new felt down over the whole thing. £1200 and he gives a 12 year warranty with it too.

Soldato
OP
I have gone for a full roof replacement.
All new boards and a rubber surface compound - flat roof.

All in it is £1430, they are doing it tomorrow.

An electrician is booked for Monday.
He quoted:
Code:
Kitchen:
Supply power to: Fridge, 2 x single ovens, dishwasher, washing machine, induction Hob,
extractor hood, 3 x double sockets at work top height.

Power to under unit lights. Fit customer supplied ceiling and under unit lights.

Customer to supply double socket face plates and induction hob face plate.

2 x visits 1st and 2nd fix.

Certification on job completion.

£650

Then a plasterer is booked for Wednesday to skim the ceiling, and replaster all walls - £350 all in.

So hopefully by Friday next week I should have a kitchen all prep'd so I can then level the floor and fit the new tiles, ready for the units which are being delivered on the 7th September.

Just need to decide on what colour to paint the walls once the plaster is dry.

Soldato
OP
With the 32A supply, will that include a 16A to the induction hob too ?
many of the the hobs seem to limit simulataneous plate use to keep the Amps down, but perhaps some don't if you have luxury of a new wiring.

Are they replacing insulation on your roof too . I was surprised not to see fibre-glass in picture ? .. tea mugs neither

They have replaced the insulation, yes. The roof is coming on nicely - just added a 2nd pic to post # 38.

as for the 32a I don't know the exact details, of what they are doing/needed.

Back
Top Bottom