Kitchen Renovation

Soldato
We decided now is the right time to gte our very old dated kitchen redone.

This was my kitchen.

7fdbe6aee0a8edb7f7150243c11ffc229789bb40%20%28Custom%29.jpg

On the surface, it seems fine and looked ok... however the cupboard inside were starting to rot due to age - estimated it was around 30-40 years old and just touched up/painted etc over the years.
The cupbaord didn't have any kick plinths and I didnt want to buy some for such an old out dated kitchen as we always wanted to start fresh with it when we bought the house 2 years ago.

The floor was carpet tiles, much like what you would find in an office - the problem is that any spillage or leaks etc made them stain and it wasn't great.

The other issue was the condition of the electrics behind the walls and cupbaords etc, no idea of that.
The cupboard on the side of the wall where the cooker is/was didnt even have any rear carcase, you could see the bare wall at the back - not exactly hygenic.

The final issue was that the walls were a mess.

So last week I ripped out the whole lot, I wanted to see what condition the walls were like behind the cupboards etc. I actually really enjoyed removing it all.

Here is the current position I am in now.

2018-08-12%2019.33.56.jpg

We noticed damp on the wall next to the window. that was mostly covered by tiles before hand.

2018-08-13%2020.54.25.jpg

After further inspection, the cause is damaged roof felt on the kitchen (flat roof) so I have a roofing company coming to assess the damage Thursday - from the photos I have emailed they said the worst case is £1200 for all new boards in the roof and new felt, but maybe cheaper once they inspect and may only need a partial repair - I think I may get them to just do it all for peace of mind for future proofing anyway.

Here is the roof damage

2018-08-16%2015.26.46.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
You need to update your Dropbox image links:

Replace:
Code:
?dl=1

with:
Code:
?raw=1

Then they will show up on the forum.

Soldato
Good luck, the original kitchen actually did not look too bad.

Having typed that though the ocuk folks are expecting some mega and awesome changes in your new kitchen to be!
what's the budget?

Soldato
OP
I am doing a lot myself, except for the roof repair and replastering and electrics.

Overall cost/budget is £15k that includes the roof repair.

The kitchen is being fitted with 2 seperate ovens as my wife has a home cake baking business. The worktops are all quartz too, this is not a cheap option

Soldato
I would seriously consider getting inbuilt fridge/freezer as a larger American one sticks out like a sore thumb and looks dreadful. Yes they hold a lot but that's about the only good thing.

Go for an integrated dishwasher whilst you're at it .

Have you thought about a longer drawer section under the job, like a nice big 1200, or whatever would cover that 150 pullout and the cupboard next to it? A 150 pullout has it's place but not really by the job and it'll probably cost a good £100-150 on it's own, so terrible value.

Is it a j-handle type kitchen? If so have you had a damn god play around with the units as I found them horrible for catching fingers and the channels being way too small to be comfortable in use?

Finally, on the tall uuni (70/30) by the door on the hob side, they show the vertical side panel extending out of the kickplate. With that or any others on that side you should take a jigsaw and cut an inverse L shape out of it, then have the kickplate cover the cut. You'll then have a true linear effect along the whole kickplate rather than that silly thing sticking out and ruining the line.

Any better renders as it's hard to tell the colour, white/grey?

Last edited:
Soldato
I would seriously consider getting inbuilt fridge/freezer as a larger American one sticks out like a sore thumb and looks dreadful. Yes they hold a lot but that's about the only good thing.

Have you thought about a longer drawer section under the job, like a nice big 1200, or whatever would cover that 150 pullout and the cupboard next to it? A 150 pullout has it's place but not really by the job and it'll probably cost a good £100-150 on it's own, so terrible value.

Is it a j-handle type kitchen? If so have you had a damn god play around with the units as I found them horrible for catching fingers and the channels being way too small to be comfortable in use?

Finally, on the tall uuni (70/30) by the door on the hob side, they show the vertical side panel extending out of the kickplate. With that or any others on that side you should take a jigsaw and cut an inverse L shape out of it, then have the kickplate cover the cut. You'll then have a true linear effect along the whole kickplate rather than that silly thing sticking out and ruining the line.

Good advice regarding the fridge, I went for 2x matching fridges side by side and it’s turned out to be one of the best parts of the kitchen. You get much more space and it looks more integrated too. See here https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/my-new-kitchen-thread.18775086/

Soldato
Nice kitchen Ada, you did a cracking job there.

I like the side by side 70/30 Fridge Freezers! We went for a full 600 fridge one side and 600 freezer on the other and just splashed out. Very happy with them though and got a good deal at the London Home Show back in the spring.

Soldato
Did you do the kitchen design yourself?

Things I would be concerned about, the American fridge freezer will really dominate the look do you really like it enough? The ovens right next to the fridge freezer isn't normally advised and the look is really odd for me it would look much cleaner with an integrated fridge freeer next to it! The over all design with high cupboards all round will really close the space in and make the kitchen feel smaller.

Soldato

My first thought was the side with the fridges was too "lumpy" - there's too many different surfaces and how far things stick out with the non-integrated dishwasher, oven handles, fridge/freezer. Integrated appliances would help that.

Also does the last wall cupboard on the other side overhang the window?

Soldato

I read this advice in another thread on here and i can 100% agree, it looks so much better.

Soldato

Great advice here!

I read this advice in another thread on here and i can 100% agree, it looks so much better.

I am now staring at my kick plate and wondering why we didn't do that in our kitchen. Now cannot un-see!

Good luck with the renovations @Ace Modder!

Soldato
Haha, we had the same stick out sidepanel in our design from the kitchen place for the integrated Fridge and Freezer. We were then told it's for stability, which is a load of tosh and the joiner agreed. He sees many kitchens put in (he works for a large kitchen company) with these panels sticking out and it's just lazy design and the installer not thinking about hiding it.

These housings will be screwed together, against the side wall (if against one), screwed through a sidepanel (with the inverse L cut-out), then have L-shaped brackets at the back holding them to the wall. Then the weight of the FF will be transferred down through the large plastic feet with them screwed into the unit with 2/4 screws at the front door, so nothing's ever going to move unless the house falls down.

Good luck with the kitchen, just give us a shout if you want any tips as this is the second time we've done a kitchen in 3yrs and learned an awful lot after the 1st install and progressing through the new 'dream' design & install.

Back
Top Bottom