Knee support braces

Soldato
I havn't run in over 3 years due to knee pain.
Don't want to make this a medical thread, physio gave me exercises to try that didn't help and the doctors couldn't find anything wrong.

These days, I just go for a walk at the weekend, but longer walks, 5+ miles, can bring back the knee pain.

After seeing an advert I was thinking about trying out knee support braces.

There seems to be quite a range out there, starting from £20 going to £500+

Is there a certain brand/model that is worth trying out?

I really want something to help make the longer walks more comfortable. Would be an absolute dream to be able to run again.

Man of Honour
There is not much evidence to suggest knee braces do anything helpful...

1) If you're injured they stabilise the knee to make it comfortable, but stop the rehab process to get you working without it;

2) If you are not injured, they won't stop you getting injured.

I would strongly encourage you to find a really good sports physio and find something like a supervised treatment programme.

Associate
Physio isn't an overnight fix, it's an ongoing battle to keep strength up and prevent further injury. Sadly.
Knee warmers and decent trainers will help.

I've had lots of sport injuries over the years, never used a brace, yet. The idea is nice, thinking it might be a cheap quick fix, but it isn't. As above, get a better/different/second physio.

Honestly, if a £grand of support made my knees work great, i'd of bought them already.

Consider checking out massages, foam rollers, trigger point therapy, etc. But that's more for sport related recovery.

Soldato
I've had a back support from gibortho ... very common brand in France on their nhs, reasonable prices/good quality
not sure if they're in the uk https://www.oleapharma.com/en/Knee/4

can maybe get vat back ?

decathlon maybe a reasonable bet , too - good return should you have any issue .. collect at asda

Soldato
It can help,I find ruining without knee support I can't last 100 metres,with one I can manage at least 5k.

When I'm running I can feel my knee wobbling around like it's in jelly if that makes sense,the brace stops that and thus any pain,but like anything it depends what's actually causing the pain.

I've had loads of physio but no success,it's absolute agony at times.

I use a wrap around its kind of sticky ,works well for me.

Soldato
Agree with the above that a good sports physio can make all the difference.

I had some knee pain after running and after doing reviewing me doing some range of motion exercises he put it down to a lack of hip mobility.

I found a good exercises was to hop on the spot with the other knee elevated. You’re then strengthening all the stabilising muscles from the ankle, knee and core and will notice the amount of “knee wobble” reduces drastically.

As @AndyCr15 said though. Weight is also a big factor but not sure where you are on that scale.

Back
Top Bottom