Knocking noise (already!?)

Associate
Had my Corsa (19-reg) for 6 months now, and had its 50k service at local dealer Wednesday
It’s now developed knocking noise inconsistently on drivers side front wheel

Bushes failed already?!?
broken spring? Doubt it would be a wheel bearing as I don't think I've ever had to replace the front ones on my Corsa, track rods/droplinks could be a good call though as well as I've replaced them a couple of times on my corsa.

Associate
OP
I don’t, but again anything similar shouldn’t need replzcing

Drove it home from daughters and didn’t hear it again
Going to through at friendly garage to have a look
Don’t fancy driving on the motorway as part of my normal commute!

Man of Honour
I don’t, but again anything similar shouldn’t need replzcing

Drove it home from daughters and didn’t hear it again
Going to through at friendly garage to have a look
Don’t fancy driving on the motorway as part of my normal commute!
Drop links are generally pathetic little things that might as well be made of Dairylea - they would be first on my checklist, assuming the Corsa has a front ARB. Top mounts would be next on the list, and then ARB bushes would be my next suspect in terms of likelihood of failure/wear.

Soldato
If you hear it going over speed bumps but not on smooth road it's probably droplinks.

Drive backwards and forwards over a bit of wood or a brick and see if it does it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
On a 5 year old corsa, yes.
They’re made to fit a price point in the market.
They're also, literally, the weakest link in the whole McPherson strut setup, so they generally go first.
Back in the day it used to be void bushes on Mk4 Cortinas, which lasted about 15 minutes from the factory if you listen to my old man.

Soldato
If you can hear it in the car, drop links are always the first thing to check, they seem to be purposefully designed as the weak link..

Since they've trashed the main arterial road to work, many people in work have had all manner of suspension issues, from broken shocks, through drop links and a few bent alloys..

So 50K miles of normal road mileage shouldn't lead to worn out items, but on modern unmaintained roads then it's not bad at all.

Back
Top Bottom