Koenigsegg Jesko

Soldato

Link
Interesting to see the above (claimed) 300 MPH road car announced just a few hours after Volvo also announce their intentions to restrict the top speed of all their new cars to 112 MPH from next year.

Clearly more people purchase Volvo's than Koenigsegg's but I am left wondering whether Volvo have made a mistake or have a cleverly thought out marketing strategy given petrol heads are all supposed to be turning to a greener colour?

Also, every time the usual suspects (Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren) launch their latest model it's the fastest most powerful ever. But just how much BHP and MPH can we expect to achieve from a road car especially given the crazy prices they're commanding.

Associate
Bit off topic but I was looking for an update on koenigseggs freevalve technology the other day but couldn't find anything new. Has anyone heard anything new in the last year or so?

Looks a really good technology and they were getting good results on vehicles it was retrofitted to.

Soldato
I thought the current challenge to beating the top speed was the availability of tyres that could survive the punishment?

Definately very koenigsegg, interesting seeing that wing and remembering classic top gear with the stig spinning out a ccx due to a lack of spoiler.

Soldato
He didnt claim it has done 300mph or will do 300mph, he said they were hoping for 300mph in the opening at the motor show......

Best new features:

Its named after his Dad

There will be 2 versions, one with higher down force for track, one with less for more top speed.

It has 9 speed box with 7 clutches? so i could change up or down 7 gears at once. weights 90kg

The doors no longer hit on curbs if you park too close.

Wheels are bigger, but lighter.

Uses 20L compressed air tanks to spool turbos at low rpm to reduce lag. also uses this to reduce emissions.

Flat plain crank is 12kg.

he said it has a very light fly wheel to rev up very fast.

Only makes 1578bhp on E85 normal 95 octane its "only" 1280. i guess on 99 you could get over 1300 ok.

so that article seems to be wrong on quite a few points XD

Soldato
I thought the current challenge to beating the top speed was the availability of tyres that could survive the punishment?

Tyres that can withstand that speed (ones resembling road tyres, at least) have been around since the late '80s – but the problem is cost and necessity. Even back then they cost $1 million a set (reportedly) and, realistically, no one was ever going to call upon such heady capabilities in their personal car.

Soldato
... few hours after Volvo also announce their intentions to restrict the top speed of all their new cars to 112 MPH from next year.

Clearly more people purchase Volvo's than Koenigsegg's but I am left wondering whether Volvo have made a mistake or have a cleverly thought out marketing strategy given petrol heads are all supposed to be turning to a greener colour?

Volvo's made a very clever move (and not a new one; limiters in certain nations have been around for decades). Its generated a massive amount of publicity for zero development cost and has set itself up well in several respects. Firstly, the lower speeds will help set the mindset for current and future EVs that aren't as capable when it comes to top speeds (typically in the case of single-speed systems).

Secondly, it means the company won't have to plough fortunes into developing hardware that can attain or exceed higher speeds – allowing it to make lighter, less complex, less expensive vehicles. This could have a benefit for the drivers, too; suspension systems won't need to be optimised for speeds that will never be achieved on public roads, for example, potentially reintroducing a pliant and cossetting ride and nature elsewhere in the more feasible speed range. Similarly, wind seals won't have to be developed to the nth degree to prevent against intrusion at high speeds, cooling systems won't have to deal with high-speed heat loads, etc. Numerous advantages.

It also puts a positive 'safety' spotlight on Volvo, in many people's eyes, as numerous drivers are of the mindset that high speeds are entirely unnecessary (which is justifiable). Consequently, it will be seen as leading the way by many.

After all, it's all heading in this direction anyway – so it's doing well to capitalise on it. The GPS ring-fencing is perhaps more interesting and of note.

Supercars and hypercars will always have their place but they will change over time, too – and we're already seeing it with cars such as the electric Pininfarina Battista and Ferrari's upcoming V6 hybrid that's due soon.

There's not really a limit to how fast or powerful a production road car could be, otherwise, for all intents and purposes; it just comes down to cost and justifying it (or the inability to, which limits development in that direction).

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Bit off topic but I was looking for an update on koenigseggs freevalve technology the other day but couldn't find anything new. Has anyone heard anything new in the last year or so?

Looks a really good technology and they were getting good results on vehicles it was retrofitted to.

Last I read they were trying to get an OEM to take it on, I believe there was some Chinese manufacturer interested but it all went quiet. I'd love to see if that tech ever sees the light of day or at least find out if it truly is any good and if not, why. But I guess companies like this don't really sing about their failures which is a shame.

I don't see the issue with limiters, sounds sensational but when is 110mph really seen on your speedonin your cars lifetime. Likely never ever for nearly 90% or more I should imagine. Lewis makes some damn good insight above that I wouldn't have even considered too. If successful more manufacturers should take it up, I can see the likes of Honda doing something similar.

Can't wait to see the 300mph run. They've not let us down with their claims yet and although pointless in the real world, then internet wants to see it so so-be-it :D

Man of Honour
There's no sensible reason for anyone to need more than 112mph in a road car assuming it is a limit that doesn't impact acceleration. Yes perhaps someone wants to do more than that on the autobahn or whatever but I still don't consider that really necessary. And if people want to do trackdays or whatever, there are other options for that.

Let's be honest the top speed of nearly all cars sold in the UK is largely irrelevant as all but the puniest of engines can breach NSL, they may as well not even quote it any more and focus on acceleration times.

Soldato
I'm still amazed the German cars are limited to 155mph! Who is ever likely to get anywhere near that?! (in this country)

And regarding the spoiler, might look a bit garish, but unlike the spoilers you see added to the back of Saxos, I'm sure this one provides a heck load of down force!

Caporegime
I love how a thread about a 1500bhp hypercar has evolved in to people going "I'm perfectly happy with 112mph".

I also wouldn't mind tbh. The only time I've ever gone that fast legally was on the Autobahn, and even then it's fun for a while and then meh.

Any true petrolhead will tell you it's all about the Gs. Acceleration = exhilaration. Speed you don't need.

Fun fact:
112 is the emergency services number in Holland. There's your fact for the day.

IW8simF.gif.png

Associate
Last time I drove faster than 112 I blew the gearbox in my 2.8 capri. Dropped it into 3rd instead of 5th and simultaneously recoloured the seat of my pants. That was many years ago but I've never had the urge to surge since.
:D

Man of Honour
To the general public used to 100bhp-150bhp cars you have zero comprehension how easy it is to do 160mph indicated. The acceleration on high performance cars mean by the time you get to 112mph I’m at 160mph or more and speed is something you get used to very quickly.

Doesn’t mean it’s right and certainly not legal but does mean most of the aghast posts about speed come from people who have little idea how it’s achieved and removed at pace in a very fast car built around doing it safely from an engineering standpoint.

Man of Honour
Last time I drove faster than 112 I blew the gearbox in my 2.8 capri. Dropped it into 3rd instead of 5th and simultaneously recoloured the seat of my pants. That was many years ago but I've never had the urge to surge since.
:D
Saw 140mph on my dads 2.8 back in the 80’s!

Associate
To the general public used to 100bhp-150bhp cars you have zero comprehension how easy it is to do 160mph indicated. The acceleration on high performance cars mean by the time you get to 112mph I’m at 160mph or more and speed is something you get used to very quickly.

Doesn’t mean it’s right and certainly not legal but does mean most of the aghast posts about speed come from people who have little idea how it’s achieved and removed at pace in a very fast car built around doing it safely from an engineering standpoint.
Yeah I realised this in an OCUK meet when a certain someone;) took me out in his jag. I was curious so I went down the same road afterwards and at the point he was exceeding 130 I was barely reaching 100 in my type r. And whereas the type r felt like it was massively slowing down at that point, the jag felt just as quick accelerating as it did around 50mph. There's literally no comparison to a regular car.

Back
Top Bottom