krakow tips

Associate
If Auschwitz doesn't relate to you don't go (suggestion from half Polak). Poland is so much more than a one time Jewish/dissident concentration camp. Have a great holiday go somewhere nice.

I totally accept your point about there being much more to Poland than Auschwitz. However I'd hope that all of us can find meaning in a visit. I'd like to believe the desire to remember in hope that in so doing we reduce the chances of such horrors happening again is sufficient to make Auschwitz relate to most of us.

Man of Honour
Probably won’t help now, but when I was in Poland around 30 odd years back, I was advised by Poles here to take some U.S. dollars to sell on the black market.
I changed $100 in Warsaw before driving to Tarnów to visit my Polish girlfriend’s aunt, and got so many złoty, I didn’t know what to do with it all.
From Tarnów, I took her aunt, uncle, and two cousins to Kraków for the day, about 80 km, went in a good restaurant, had a blinding meal, pig’s head with an apple in its mouth, carp, gołabki, bryndza cheese, vodka, cognac, piwo, (beer), the whole nine yards, paid for it, including a good tip, and still had bundles of złoty left.
In the end, I gave it away to her cousin in Poznan before we left Poland.
A little tip for some brownie points, when you’ve had a couple of drinks, and you’re nibbling her ear, whisper “kocham çie”, (I love you), might make a good night better.
Yeah, they have this thing called the EU now so you won't get much joy selling black market dollars.

Associate
There is also plenty of free tours where you pay whatever you want to pay in the end of the tour starting from outside one of the churches at the Market Square. I did a food tour where the guide took you around Krakow, told stories about various sites in the town and took you to I think it was 5 different places to try different local foods.
And one day I did a street art tour which took me to places in Krakow I wouldn't thought of at all otherwise, and I had a very lovely guide on that tour too.

One of my favorite restaurants when I was in Krakow was a steak/smokehouse called "Ed Red", which is very close to the northwestern corner of the Market Square. But there is plenty of good restaurants around there as well :)

Soldato
We've visited Kraków many times and are heading back again in two weeks time :)

Your budget of 1200 zloty should be more than sufficient to cover the costs of eating out and excursions over a five night stay.

Our favourite is the Number 7 Restaurant in the main square. As others have said seeking out restaurants away from the usual tourist hotspots will be substantially cheaper but as a whole we have found Kraków to be very cheap for eating out. If your budget allows and if you have the time I can recommend the daytrip to Zakopane in the Tatras Mountains. This would allow you to explore a little more of the country and prices for the daytrip should be no more than £60 / £70 per person.

We land on the day of the World Cup final and intend to watch the match in the sports bar in the main square with a few pints of Tyskie ;)

Soldato
Thread revival. Looking at going in October. Can anyone recommend a company to do the Auschwitz and also the Salt Mine tours with?

Will be hunting around for any recommendations for restaurants also, Flights and air bnb are very cheap indeed so it works out a nice break for us!

Soldato
i didn't book any tours online, just turned up (at auschwitz) and got in. http://auschwitz.org/en/visiting/basic-information/
you need photographic ID. don't take your backpack with you or put it in the lockers BEFORE queuing. they hold up an A4 clipboard and if your bag is bigger you have to put it in the locker.
get there early, it will be rammed at the entrance but once you are in you can walk around at your own pace. i wouldn't bother with a guided tour unless you want a lot more info on the place
i would get the train from the airport , it's about 18zl i think. you can get your ticket on the platform at the ticket machine
you will eat and drink cheaply enough, in the right places. we paid around 100zl for a starter/main/drink all in.
the salt mines look cool, never got to them myself.

Soldato
The dismissive phrase "one time Jewish/dissident concentration camp" makes me believe he is likely a holocaust denier.
Doubtful, probably just slightly dismayed at the way so many people see Poland as nothing more than 'where the concentration camps were', as if there is little else of interest, when it is in fact a fantastic country with a great deal to offer beyond that.

Soldato
Definitely get a guided tour.
It will probably be the only time you go and a good guide makes all the difference.

Agreed. Unless you already know everything, they have a hell of a lot of knowledge that you'd probably miss out on.

I did find that ours was a bit rushed (Mike ******* Pence visited on the same day) and I would have liked to spend time walking around on my own, but again I wouldn't have got half the info that the tour guide gave us.

Soldato
i didn't book any tours online, just turned up (at auschwitz) and got in. http://auschwitz.org/en/visiting/basic-information/
you need photographic ID. don't take your backpack with you or put it in the lockers BEFORE queuing. they hold up an A4 clipboard and if your bag is bigger you have to put it in the locker.
get there early, it will be rammed at the entrance but once you are in you can walk around at your own pace. i wouldn't bother with a guided tour unless you want a lot more info on the place
i would get the train from the airport , it's about 18zl i think. you can get your ticket on the platform at the ticket machine
you will eat and drink cheaply enough, in the right places. we paid around 100zl for a starter/main/drink all in.
the salt mines look cool, never got to them myself.
Yeah I have read that you can just do that, I think ill just book a tour, makes it easier. Cheers for the advice though!

Definitely get a guided tour.
It will probably be the only time you go and a good guide makes all the difference.
Can you recommend one at all?

Had family go with this company, https://www.viator.com/tours/Krakow...Mine-from-Krakow-including-Lunch/d529-20231P1 but any other recommendations welcome!

Soldato
Thread revival. Looking at going in October. Can anyone recommend a company to do the Auschwitz and also the Salt Mine tours with?

Will be hunting around for any recommendations for restaurants also, Flights and air bnb are very cheap indeed so it works out a nice break for us!

We booked with https://krakowdirect.com/ for both Auschwitz and Salt mines, and the Schindlers factory tour.

I'd strongly recommend doing them separately, as Auschwitz is a fair drive out from Krakow, so you'll be in a bit of a rush if you're doing Auschwitz and Salt mines in a single day.

I can dig up the prices we paid if you're interested.

All in i felt they were very good. The minibus picked us up right outside the hotel, and was a clean modern minibus. The driver/tour guide spoke very good English and knew a lot of the history - the Salt Mine tours have their own guides who work there.

They're very trustworthy with regards to paying as well, i think one tour we paid online, and another we paid cash at the end.

Do take note that they (Auschwitz) were quite strict on letting certain bag sizes through, so if you plan to take a bag, make sure it's very small.

Soldato
We booked with https://krakowdirect.com/ for both Auschwitz and Salt mines, and the Schindlers factory tour.

I'd strongly recommend doing them separately, as Auschwitz is a fair drive out from Krakow, so you'll be in a bit of a rush if you're doing Auschwitz and Salt mines in a single day.

I can dig up the prices we paid if you're interested.

All in i felt they were very good. The minibus picked us up right outside the hotel, and was a clean modern minibus. The driver/tour guide spoke very good English and knew a lot of the history - the Salt Mine tours have their own guides who work there.

They're very trustworthy with regards to paying as well, i think one tour we paid online, and another we paid cash at the end.

Do take note that they (Auschwitz) were quite strict on letting certain bag sizes through, so if you plan to take a bag, make sure it's very small.
Cheers, yeah the one I have been looking at have said its a long day to do both but as im only there for two full days I wanted to do it in one and then have another to explore the rest of the city.

Thanks for the link, will check it out.

Soldato
If you make your way there you can book a tour guide at Auschwitz (we did)
Do you know what the price was?

The one including all the transfers and the salt mines is £60 which doesn't seem too bad at all and if its a saving of £15-20 then ill likely just go the all in one booking.

Associate
When in October are you going? Just be aware that around the end of October it is All Saints Day and a lot closes down in the country for this/public services wind down.

Would imagine Auschwitz gets very busy around with time with people remember the dead.

Even with two whole days i would be inclined to do the tours on seperate days. Can get a bit rushed if you cram it into one day. You can always do the Salt Mine one morning, then come back to the city for explore then give a good amount of time for both camps at Auschwitz. Both are highly recommended though. The city of Krakow is pretty easy and quick to get around if using a tram and on foot or even on bike.

Make sure to go to Plac Nowy to get yourself a Zapiekanka from the round building in the middle of it- perfect beer food on a night out ;)
https://www.eurocheapo.com/blog/krakow-cheap-eat-zapiekanka.html

Last edited:
Soldato
When in October are you going? Just be aware that around the end of October it is All Saints Day and a lot closes down in the country for this/public services wind down.

Would imagine Auschwitz gets very busy around with time with people remember the dead.

Even with two whole days i would be inclined to do the tours on seperate days. Can get a bit rushed if you cram it into one day. You can always do the Salt Mine one morning, then come back to the city for explore then give a good amount of time for both camps at Auschwitz. Both are highly recommended though. The city of Krakow is pretty easy and quick to get around if using a tram and on foot or even on bike.

Make sure to go to Plac Nowy to get yourself a Zapiekanka from the round building in the middle of it- perfect beer food on a night out ;)
https://www.eurocheapo.com/blog/krakow-cheap-eat-zapiekanka.html
20th-23rd, so should be ok I hope.

I will take it into consideration and ask the missus!

I have got that on the list, they look fantastic!

Associate
Only thing I wasn't a fan of with the Auschwitz tour was that you miss out on certain parts and can't just look at things at your own pace. When I go back I'll definitely make sure I get there early so I can do what I want.

Back
Top Bottom