krakow tips

Associate
Should be ok then.

Was there last 6 years ago so places can change but we had a great meal here with my extended family and everyone enjoyed! (had a blessing/2nd wedding in Poland as our main one was in England, my wife's family came to England so took my family out to Poland and as part of trip took them to Krakow), traditional polish food and very reasonable. Easy to get to from the town centre on foot. Recent reviews still look ok;

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Resta...w_Lesser_Poland_Province_Southern_Poland.html

Suspect you will come away thinking that 2 days isn't enough :) Really cannot recommend a trip to Krakow enough to people, also worth visiting the other main cities if you are looking for cheap city breaks i.e Poznan, Gdansk/Sopot, Warsaw etc. If spending a longer time in the area definitely worth heading out to Zakopane as the Tatra mountains are spectacular too. Especially if you like walking a nice mountain activities.

Have had a fair amount of trips to Poland and always love going back to the country :) More then happy to give recommendations.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers all for the suggestions. Will let you know how I get on!

Please do throw up any more suggestions for restaurants for dinner or lunch. Can sometimes just find good places by having a wander however!

Soldato
Just coming back to this as it gets closer to the time I am going, I still haven't got a tour or anything booked for auschwitz, I can see on the official site you can book;
Reg Entry Pass-Guided Tours for individuals+GTS which is 3.5hrs and does say it is in English. @SexyGreyFox I believe you said you did it this way? it works out to 120zl in total for two people which seems fine.

It appears to be straight forward to get to the place itself so we can just book the tour and turn up then head back once all done.

Man of Honour
Just coming back to this as it gets closer to the time I am going, I still haven't got a tour or anything booked for auschwitz, I can see on the official site you can book;
Reg Entry Pass-Guided Tours for individuals+GTS which is 3.5hrs and does say it is in English. @SexyGreyFox I believe you said you did it this way? it works out to 120zl in total for two people which seems fine.

It appears to be straight forward to get to the place itself so we can just book the tour and turn up then head back once all done.

We went on a coach from Krakow and that paid for the trip and a guided tour.

For food there is a main square with loads of places to eat.

Associate
Do you have the company name to hand, feel free to trust it over or drop it in here if you can. Cheers :)

I was in Krakow a month ago and did couple of tours with these guys: https://freewalkingtour.com/krakow/
100% recommended, learned a lot about the city and it was very well organized
PD: Don't be the guy that leaves 10 cents at the end after two and half hours tour.

Soldato
I was in Krakow a month ago and did couple of tours with these guys: https://freewalkingtour.com/krakow/
100% recommended, learned a lot about the city and it was very well organized
PD: Don't be the guy that leaves 10 cents at the end after two and half hours tour.
Looking to do one of these, thanks for the tip.
Cheers, will have a look at the menu.
Love the place going back end of September my fifth time my favourite bar is

http://wodkabar.pl
Thanks for the tip.

I have so far booked Axe Nation and Miód Malina Restaurant which looks nice and very reasonably priced for the Sunday evening but will the other places suggested here for the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday morning.

Associate
Going here near the end of October looking forward to doing the Salt Mine Tour and Auschwitz.

What does everyone recommend book in advance or just turn up on the day?

Soldato
We went a couple of years ago. We got to Auschwitz very early and it was very cold. The mist just made it all the more harrowing.

Poland.jpg[img]

Caporegime
Only thing I wasn't a fan of with the Auschwitz tour was that you miss out on certain parts and can't just look at things at your own pace. When I go back I'll definitely make sure I get there early so I can do what I want.

This. We booked a taxi from the UK. Big comfy multi seater SUV with headrest tvs and they played a documentary on Auschwitz on the way there. Plus driver full of knowledge.

Dropped us off and waited until we were ready to be picked up so had as long as we wanted there. Took us to both bits of Auschwitz as well.

Definitely the best way to do it and then you can spend as much time pondering as you want. The room with the hair still haunts me to this day.

Associate
Don't know if any advice is still needed for anybody, but the Pinball Museum was absolutely fantastic in Krakow. Equivalent of £8 to get in for unlimited Pinball machines all day, beer was only £1 ish in there too. Spent 4 and a half hours in there without even noticing.

Associate
Going here near the end of October looking forward to doing the Salt Mine Tour and Auschwitz.

What does everyone recommend book in advance or just turn up on the day?

We use these guys: http://tinyurl.com/y2vbxj33 We've been to Krakow 14 times and are going back again in November. We use Krakow Shuttle to take us from the airport to the hotel. We've also used them to take us to Auschwitz (twice) and the Salt Mines.

Krakow Shuttle pick you up at your hotel for Auschwitz etc. Some other companies make you go to a specific place. We opt for the packed lunch option.

With Krakow Shuttle you can pay for your trip by paying the driver. You can also pay in Sterling. Just look to the top right corner of the site. The first time we used them for hotel shuttle I paid the guy in sterling and tipped him with a couple of pounds. With the Auschwitz tour I'd managed to change money in Krakow so I paid him in Zlotys but the option of sterling is there.

If just turn up at Auschwitz, you'd have to do some reading up on it. It looks a bit complicated. With a tour you are handed a headphone set and the tour guide briefs people as you go along. Also with a tour when you've finished at Auschwitz, the vehicle takes you to Birkenau for another tour.

I wouldn't recommend doing Auschwitz and The Salt Mines in one day. We did and were quite fagged out at the end of the day.

Associate
We use these guys: http://tinyurl.com/y2vbxj33 We've been to Krakow 14 times and are going back again in November. We use Krakow Shuttle to take us from the airport to the hotel. We've also used them to take us to Auschwitz (twice) and the Salt Mines.

Krakow Shuttle pick you up at your hotel for Auschwitz etc. Some other companies make you go to a specific place. We opt for the packed lunch option.

With Krakow Shuttle you can pay for your trip by paying the driver. You can also pay in Sterling. Just look to the top right corner of the site. The first time we used them for hotel shuttle I paid the guy in sterling and tipped him with a couple of pounds. With the Auschwitz tour I'd managed to change money in Krakow so I paid him in Zlotys but the option of sterling is there.

If just turn up at Auschwitz, you'd have to do some reading up on it. It looks a bit complicated. With a tour you are handed a headphone set and the tour guide briefs people as you go along. Also with a tour when you've finished at Auschwitz, the vehicle takes you to Birkenau for another tour.

I wouldn't recommend doing Auschwitz and The Salt Mines in one day. We did and were quite fagged out at the end of the day.

Thanks iv booked the salt mines and Auschwitz with them.

We are flying to Katowice airport, which is a fair way from krakow do you have any recommends on how to get from there to Krakow?

Associate
Thanks iv booked the salt mines and Auschwitz with them.

We are flying to Katowice airport, which is a fair way from krakow do you have any recommends on how to get from there to Krakow?

Not OP it all really depends on when you land and how much you want to spend and how long you want to spend travelling to Krakow. With taxis this can be crazy money, there is also the option of travelling via PKP some are direct trains, where as others may require a connection. Or you could perhaps travel by bus.

Another option would be perhaps to hire a car from the airport for the duration of your stay?

Back
Top Bottom