1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KTM 790 Duke

Discussion in 'Biker's Cafe' started by jigger, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Freeman

Soldato

It's exactly that. Just like TCS on a car, 99% of the time the car will never use it. Same on a bike, 99% of the time you will not be using it unless you **** up or are doing a track day.

2. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

I thought on track most people turn those things off.

3. jigger

Capodecina

Or you're out for a bit of a mad half hour ;)

4. tom_e

Man of Honour

That's almost certainly the reason most people think braided lines make a massive difference.
    It's not the lines it's the fact they've actually changed the fluid and bled their brakes for the first time in god knows how long. I normally end up changing my fluid at least twice a year and the brakes always feel much sharper afterwards, it's then so gradual in fading off that you never notice and just accept it as normal.

5. .one.

Mobster

You know when a line is ****** it will swell in the hand.

6. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

It looks like KTM want to make an R version of the 790, which puts me right off getting the standard version.

7. Yaayuh!

Capodecina

Why's that? Because of the depreciation? It doesn't change what the standard bike is.

Source for R version? Can't find anything at the moment.

8. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

Because I regretted getting the non-R Street Triple (mostly because of the suspension) and if I bought the non-R then I'd want the R when it's released. I know it's weird but I never claimed to be normal.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2018/january/2018-hottest-motorcycles/
    It probably won't happen until 2019 based on them mentioning needing further development.

9. Yaayuh!

Capodecina

I'm still going for a test ride. I said previously I bet there'd be an R version. I'm not that bothered, i've never had adjustable suspension, except pre-load :p

10. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

It's still top of my list of bikes next this year, but it would now be paired with buyer's remorse :p

11. Yaayuh!

Capodecina

Rang my local(ish) KTM Centre, they should have a demo bike in by end of February. They have my details to call me when it's available :D

12. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

I'm the first on my local's list too. There will still be a few meters of snow here in February though.

13. Sin_Chase

Capodecina

I'd tend to slightly disagree with that. The amount of power available on modern bikes means the rider aids kick in far more frequently. It's not to say modern bikes are unrideable without them but, for example, they will lift the front wheel rather easily where perhaps the rider might want to avoid that with the use of aids.

If I'm riding my 1290 with some spirit the anti wheelie is frequently illuminated. That's not to say I'm messing up, I'm just leveraging the computer aids to keep the front wheel down.

That being said, if you are frequently activating ABS and traction control you probably need to reassess your riding style.

14. The_Abyss

Capodecina

I had my anti-wheelie control engage a few times on my Euro trip this year, carrying a lot of luggage weight. I found it an odd feeling at first but it is quite fun once you get confidence in it. I find the traction control engaged far more often but don't worry about that too much - normally just being a little over-exuberant out of 1st gear corners.

I confess to driving my car in a far less spirited fashion - it is mainly for commuting anyway - but I can only remember the traction control engaging a couple of times. Never seen the wheelie control activate yet... ;)

15. jigger

Capodecina

Has anyone got a date for a ride yet? It can't be that far off now.

16. Yaayuh!

Capodecina

Nope, not got it in yet apparently. Suspect it'll be beginning of March.

17. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

First video review:

Seems lovely, but for the price it can't compare to a used MT-10.

I will keep an eye on it when they make an R model.

18. Freeman

Soldato

Looks okay. Doesn't produce as much power as I thought it would; lots of torque though.

Butt ugly bike. I'd have the Street RS any day of the week.

19. IC3

Sgarrista

That review seems a bit biased, no wheelies or kicking the rear out supermoto style... I thought this was suppose to be a hooligan bike and he's suppose to be a pro? :p

20. arfoll

Wise Guy

I'm glad someone else sees it! Not sure what KTM are thinking looks wise, I was hoping they'd stop the weird headlight or it would grow on me but :/