Kyle Rittenhouse - teen who shot three people in Kenosha

Soldato
Care to comment on the democrat I posted above. She is one of you ;)

Oh and "I am a black South Carolinian. Here’s why I support the Confederate flag."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...ian-heres-why-i-support-the-confederate-flag/

Yes yes you posted that link earlier. So you've got one black man who had hung it because his ancestor was a cook for the Confederates. Could you find another 10 or 100? And he says in that link that it has been highjacked by racists and this story was published off the back of Dylann Roof, a white supremacist murdering 9 African Americans in a church because he wanted to start a race war.

As for the idiot women, I'm not a democrat, American or a woman. So she clearly isn't one of me, what ever that is meant to mean.

Soldato
It’s kind of backwards though, they’re obvious white supremacists flashing the OK sign. They’re not people we now know are white supremacists because they used the OK sign. A sign which is so ubiquitous that, as already demonstrated, you can find photos of famous people and politicians using it.

It's not even like the swastica and it also being a Hindu symbol - in that case, it was widely associated with the Nazis across Europe. In this case, white supremacists are a tiny minority of people, if they choose to use something as a result of a prank it doesn't, therefore, follow that others using it are white supremacists...

You can argue this all you like dowie. Trying to claim it isn't a symbol now used by white supremacists and far right groups is simply wrong. They have adopted it. No it doesn't mean every person that uses it is using it in that context, where have I claimed that? In fact I stated the opposite of that. It isn't a binary thing, why are you attempting to make it one? People in this thread said it isn't used by white supremacists and that was a hoax. That is clearly wrong which is why I posted.

Caporegime
OP
You can argue this all you like dowie. Trying to claim it isn't a symbol now used by white supremacists and far right groups is simply wrong. They have adopted it. No it doesn't mean every person that uses it is using it in that context, where have I claimed that? In fact I stated the opposite of that. It isn't a binary thing, why are you attempting to make it one? People in this thread said it isn't used by white supremacists and that was a hoax. That is clearly wrong which is why I posted.

What are you talking about here? Why not address arguments I've actually made?

Where have I claimed they've not used it? You seem to have barely read my post, there is no denial there that they've used it do you want to read it properly and try again.

Soldato
Soldato
Soldato
What are you talking about here? Why not address arguments I've actually made?

Where have I claimed they've not used it? You seem to have barely read my post, there is no denial there that they've used it do you want to read it properly and try again.

I posted because someone mentioned that symbol and its connections to white supremacists and the far right/alt right and it was shot down as nonsense, a hoax. It clearly isn't nonsense or a hoax. Its been adopted by the white supremacists and far right/alt right. So anyone on the right knowing this and flashing it as a sigh either is aware of it or is incredibly naïve. In the context of this thread Rittenhouse flashed it when he posed with the Proud Boys. He is fully aware of its connection with the far right/alt right. Is he a white supremacist, I've seen nothing to suggest he is but why flash that symbol knowing its now connected with them. The answer probably is he's a young naive child that copied his peers.

And no someone making that shape as they speak and use their hands as part of their speaking technique such as the photos you posted a couple of pages back or as Trump does isn't the same thing at all. Regan was 30+ years ago, they hadn't adopted it yet so why post that? It was just a symbol for OK. It isn't anymore.

Soldato
Hollywood stars protecting there own?

https://twitter.com/PedroPascal1/status/1462130966533578755?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1462130966533578755|twgr^|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url=https://publish.twitter.com/?query=https3A2F2Ftwitter.com2FPedroPascal12Fstatus2F1462130966533578755widget=Tweet

I like Pedro Pascal as an actor but good god he really needs to get out the Hollywood bubble because you shouldn't be saying 'Rest In Peace' about a convicted pedophile.

No you shouldnt. You'd have to assume hes done his research on him aswell given how high profile he is.

Caporegime
OP
[...stuff that has nothing to do with my post]

And no someone making that shape as they speak and use their hands as part of their speaking technique such as the photos you posted a couple of pages back or as Trump does isn't the same thing at all. Regan was 30+ years ago, they hadn't adopted it yet so why post that? It was just a symbol for OK. It isn't anymore.

Also included Biden, AOC etc.. Regan happened to be in the same image, there isn't anything deeper to it other than illustrating that it is a ubiquitous symbol.

I'll refer you back to my post on that last point:

It’s kind of backwards though, they’re obvious white supremacists flashing the OK sign. They’re not people we now know are white supremacists because they used the OK sign. A sign which is so ubiquitous that, as already demonstrated, you can find photos of famous people and politicians using it.

It's not even like the swastica and it also being a Hindu symbol - in that case, it was widely associated with the Nazis across Europe. In this case, white supremacists are a tiny minority of people, if they choose to use something as a result of a prank it doesn't, therefore, follow that others using it are white supremacists...

Again, if you want to address what I've actually posted/argued then go ahead...

Soldato
If it looks like a white supremacist, quacks like a white supremacist, stands beside a white supremacist and shows a sign adopted by white supremacists… it’s probably not a white supremacist. That’s dowies argument it seems.

Because we have to remind him, not everyone who uses the sign is a white supremacist. But some are. What’s so hard to understand about that?

Hilariously, for someone who wants to only talk about the points they make I’m still waiting for you to justify your comments about me that got you a suspension…

Caporegime
At what point does it move from being a meme started on 4chan to being an actual thing? When enough far right groups and racists use it then it really isn't just a meme any longer is it?

And its used extensively on the Daily Stormer website which I won't link here. No one is going to try and argue that isn't an out and out right wing extremist racist website are they? Or are are they trolling us? I'm sure those images of Jews and people of colour they publish that we will just call "unflattering" is just trolling as well.
Don't empower them, is the answer.

The "OK" symbol is just that - the "OK" symbol.

It is not a "white power" symbol, and to agree that it is both encourages 4chan to keep doing this kind of stuff, whilst unnecessarily removing a useful gesture that is almost universally recognised.

The more you acknowledge and legitimise the 4chan meaning, the more you make it something it is not, and never was.

Caporegime
OP

Exactly this is why it's kind of a nonsense argument, people are asserting he's a white supremacist without any grounds for making the claim that he's a white supremacist then adding this in as supposed "evidence".

So he's done the OK symbol in a photo... All there is some naive argument that because some white supremacists have used that symbol (as the result of some 4chan prank) they can conclude that others using it must be white supremacists too which is rather flawed given the ubiquitous nature of the symbol and common use of it in photos vs the relative scarcity of actual white supremacists.

Oh and to throw another use into the mix, making the symbol is also part of some game called the circle game in the US - which I'd suggest is perhaps a way more common usage than actual white supremacists using it:

Goes back decades but was popularised again in the US, in part, thanks to Malcolm in the middle and then became a feature in college photos etc..

Caporegime
You need some kind of reality perspective check.
A lot of Nazis probably shop at Tesco.
That doesn't mean we should petition to close them down.
A Reddit joke thread, gets taken seriously by some very mentally backward people, the mainstream media smells a story and whips up nonsense into reality. Trolling successful 100%. The internet then magnifies a tiny little joke/media story into reality. All Nazis are now doing OK signs, ok signs are suddenly as bad as Hitler salutes. Plåster that on social media for a week and you have bent reality.

We all live in bubbles and stupid echo chambers depending on howmuch internet we consume. Step back from the bs and go into reality were 99.99999% of genuine Nazis are not doing ok symbols for any reason other than the meme becoming reality.

Life imitates art and trolling.

I just think slow people can't differentiate between life and internet life. Jesus Christ can you imagine the metaverse in 25 years time.
The disconnect of the human race. If that doesn't end us I hope Chinese nuclear fire does.

Do you remember the it's ok to be white posters causing mass hysteria... Lol honestly what the hell is going on these days.
I say this so often bit bring on ww3.
Let's have a reset. Give people something to really chew on better than ok symbols being racists or mentally ill men thinking they can be a woman. Stick a bloody rifle in their hands and march them off to the front lines. We can kill off all of the gun loving yanks, solve overpopulation, solve the climate issues if we use the next lab manufacturerd COVID 22 variant effectively to decimate India and China, ignore fake vaccine.

Ok lol. Insane humorous rant over. I have to get up for work in 3h FML. F the weather here too it's minus 10...

Last edited:
Soldato

It is not a "white power" symbol, and to agree that it is both encourages 4chan to keep doing this kind of stuff, whilst unnecessarily removing a useful gesture that is almost universally recognised.

The more you acknowledge and legitimise the 4chan meaning, the more you make it something it is not, and never was.

100% agree with this.

Soldato
I posted because someone mentioned that symbol and its connections to white supremacists and the far right/alt right and it was shot down as nonsense, a hoax. It clearly isn't nonsense or a hoax. Its been adopted by the white supremacists and far right/alt right. So anyone on the right knowing this and flashing it as a sigh either is aware of it or is incredibly naïve. In the context of this thread Rittenhouse flashed it when he posed with the Proud Boys. He is fully aware of its connection with the far right/alt right. Is he a white supremacist, I've seen nothing to suggest he is but why flash that symbol knowing its now connected with them. The answer probably is he's a young naive child that copied his peers.

It's done to make 80IQs flip out. Do you know any 80IQs that flip out over it, Colonel_Klinck?

Soldato
I'm increasingly liking The Hill's reporting on US news, they seem pretty neutral overall on most issues and stick to the facts.

I agree with the opinions expressed in the video, but they gave opinions on the facts they cited. This was more of an editorial take than straight news reporting. (I didn't get the impression they were trying to sell their discussion as "objective journalism" in the video though, so I'm fine with it)

Soldato
Sometimes hate organisations adopt things, they have recently adopted the ok sign as a wink and nudge to each other. Trying to pretend they haven’t and hoping it goes away doesn’t seem like a sensible solution.

14 and 88 are harmless numbers on their own, but we know their meaning when used by white nationalists, pretending we don’t is just stupid.

Caporegime
OP
Sometimes hate organisations adopt things, they have recently adopted the ok sign as a wink and nudge to each other. Trying to pretend they haven’t and hoping it goes away doesn’t seem like a sensible solution.

14 and 88 are harmless numbers on their own, but we know their meaning when used by white nationalists, pretending we don’t is just stupid.

That's a bit more specific though, I had to google that but those numbers don't have any other significance or existing widespread use AFAIK? Seems like a rather different scenario - that would be rather more specific that had Kyle appeared with a t-shirt with those numbers on it would be rather an obvious dog whistle for anyone in the know.

Using an OK gesture on the other hand clearly does have an existing use, it's already widespread, of all the people using it, that some white supremacists have started using it is still likely a tiny portion of all uses ergo it's just such a flawed argument for people to make to work backwards from someone using the symbol -> white supremacist.

I'm not sure there needs to be a "solution" to it, if some idiots use it to mean one thing then meh... it doesn't need affect anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom