Language Tutors

Soldato
Hi all,

I used to visit France quite often and was once quite confident with getting by in conversation but have lost my mojo and have slipped into typical British pigeon nonsense level fluency.

I am serious about reviving my skills and have been hammering Duolingo but I think the only way I will ever get good again is with a proper tutor.

Google just seems like a list of dodgy sponsored adverts now so does anyone have any advice on finding good local language teachers?

Should I approach a local secondary school language dept (without a bag of sweets) or is there a better solution? Getting a French girlfriend isn’t an option because I’m in my 40s and boring.

Any suggestions welcomed :)

Last edited:
Soldato
1st google result for "French language speaking groups London"

I would suggest that just speaking French with friendly corrections will be more useful. If you want a more technical process - try doing a French A level at college?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
1st google result for "French language speaking groups London"

I would suggest that just speaking French with friendly corrections will be more useful. If you want a more technical process - try doing a French A level at college?
That looks pretty good, your Google fu is stronger than mine. :)

I’m finding that while Duolingo is good for vocabulary, I’d quite like something more structured for sorting out grammar. I hadn’t considered the college option so I’ll go take a look although I think it’s too late for the current year.

Has anyone done Rosetta Stone or anything similar? Maybe something like that supplemented by a speaking group would be best.

Thanks peeps :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been trying to learn russian with Duolingo for a while now, it has certainly helped me learn the alphabet and a lot of individual words but I still really struggle to actually speak or understand when someone is talking. I think you need to actually be regularly having conversations with people in the language to learn it properly

Caporegime
The most important thing in learning a language is to get "contextualised input" rather than speaking or doing Duolingo style exercises. Most courses are garbage because they try and get you to memorise grammar rules, and learn vocabulary as translations of English words - which simply doesn't work as a means to get you to (near) fluency.

If your French was decent before you should be able to restore it pretty quickly by watching films, TV series, etc. in French - sans subtitles so that you actually have to listen. Preferably you want to watch the same thing multiple times to get the necessary repetition, but that's also kind of boring so do what works for you. Once you can understand it decently well again, then find someone to practice speaking with to work on your pronunciation and confidence.

Soldato
51bgtxqh.jpg

Associate
I've been trying to learn russian with Duolingo for a while now, it has certainly helped me learn the alphabet and a lot of individual words but I still really struggle to actually speak or understand when someone is talking. I think you need to actually be regularly having conversations with people in the language to learn it properly
There's no substitute for being exposed to conversation, regularly.

I started learning Russian in 2009, initially via Rosetta Stone and then a once-per-week group evening course in London with a native. Rosetta Stone was fine for familiarising the alphabet and key words, but useless for using them in a structured way in conversation outside of the limited phrases you are exposed to as part of the software. The once-per-week group sessions (with 'homework') were much better, but not regular enough to really nail the conversational aspect. I'd often listen to radio stations etc to help 'train' my ears, even though a lot of the context was lost. That was useful too, but it's all about routine verbal practice to improve at pace.

Associate
I am many available for the teaching of languages sir isnt it.

For the paying of £1,000 to account of mine choosing I will provide all important facts and knowledge of chosen language to sir doubly quick innit.

Yes Sir many years teaching I have been to many peoples who are all very happi with resultant results and show big smiles all time, long time and forever more.

Looking forward to your affirmative contact in quick jiffy time Sir. Yes indeed.

Soldato
I really liked langautalk website. Connects you with teachers over skype.

I've used a combo of duolingo and online lessons and am off to college in montpellier next year for a month long immersion.

Man of Honour
Hi all,

I used to visit France quite often and was once quite confident with getting by in conversation but have lost my mojo and have slipped into typical British pigeon nonsense level fluency.

I am serious about reviving my skills and have been hammering Duolingo but I think the only way I will ever get good again is with a proper tutor.

Google just seems like a list of dodgy sponsored adverts now so does anyone have any advice on finding good local language teachers?

Should I approach a local secondary school language dept (without a bag of sweets) or is there a better solution? Getting a French girlfriend isn’t an option because I’m in my 40s and boring.

Any suggestions welcomed :)

Happy to meet up to grab a coffee and chat in french if you want. :)

Man of Honour
I did German in school for 2 years and considered myself able to speak German - what I could really do was introduce myself, explain that I had relatives and that I lived in Wales and had a pet cat - which is better than a lot of people can do but it's not of any actual use in real life outside of a thirty second chat.

When I started coming to Austria (admittedly, over 25 years later) this really hit home and I realised that outside of having some vocabulary I was really in no position to speak or understand any real German.

Initially I stuck to reading things and learning more words - so I got to a point where I understood what 90% of the things in a supermarket were, and I could pay for my goods in German, but outside of that I didn't really have the confidence to try much more. I supplemented this with Duolingo but I didn't honestly see much in the way of an improvement.

I also started watching Netflix in German with English subtitles or in English with German subtitles.

In May this year I enrolled in a German evening course. They did an introduction exam (entirely in German) and explained to me (entirely in German) that I would probably find A1 too boring, and to go to A2. They also warned me I might find the grammar elements harder than the others due to the lack of a genuinely good foundation.

I did A2.1 and honestly, I found it really hard going at first. Coming home from a new job in a new country to go to school for another two hours twice a week was pretty exhausting, and at the age of 44 it's difficult not to feel incredibly thick when you can't wrap your head around a concept that everyone else in the room seems to be fine with.

By the time A2.1 was done I was probably the strongest reader in the group and definitely in the top half for everything else.

I moved on to A2.2 and whilst there was a lot more grammar involved I still enjoyed it. The class is taught *entirely* in German, you are taught to speak German in German, and that is totally different to UK schools where you effectively learn languages "in English". It's definitely more overwhelming but it's definitely more effective.
We spend almost the whole class talking, all of us, in German. There is virtually zero English spoken and over three courses not one of my class mates has been English.

I started B1.1 last month and I'm now so so so much better and also more confident at reading, understanding and most importantly speaking German with native speakers. Now that I've learned Pratäritum I can understand things like newspapers and subtitles better. My vocabulary increases daily.

I really didn't think classes/courses were the answer, I thought I could self serve with apps and self study and stuff but tbh if you genuinely want to learn a language and not just say "Yeah I can do a bit of the French" then generally speaking you need real tuition and you need to be speaking it almost daily as practice, even if it's only with yourself.

The downside is it isn't cheap (€500 per module means I'm €1500 invested so far) and it eats 5-7 hours a week in classes and homework.

Lots of the stuff mentioned above (informal conversation sessions, apps, YouTube, TV) is by no means useless but based on what I've seen in myself and others it is no substitute for actually being taught the language.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've tried Duolingo, having been fluent-ish in French at some point and it's crap. In primary school, yeah there's a lot of just learning vocab, but then there was a lot of speaking in the language, exchange programs, etc. In secondary school, we went through the same sort of thing, but they ramped up the conversational bit with an actual French speaker, and for me that was the best thing. Those apps provide you no context, and that's exactly what you need.

I did get on one of those sites that links you to someone speaking the language you want to learn. I spoke to this French guy on the phone once and realised that I'd lost most of it. It ended up being ****.

Back
Top Bottom