laptop failed, RAID recovery

Associate
Hi All

I am looking for help / advice regarding retrieving information from 2 x M.2 SSD drives that were configured in RAID 0 on my laptop, 2 x 128gb.

I was wondering if its possible to use an external dual M.2 SSD reader configured for RAID, and insert these 2 drives and read the data on them as a single drive

Anyone done this before, or know if its possible, or am I looking in the wrong place completely

Any help appreciated

Rgds

Associate
so the laptop has failed , given you have 2 m2 drives installed it must be pretty new

try to get laptop fixed, do you know which drive goes in which slot?

Associate
Runtime.org do some raid recovery software which I used to bring back to life a RAID5 failure.

After that I instigated a proper backup system.

Associate
OP
The laptop is a 2014 GS60 by MSI
Sadly, the MB is bricked, which I suspect was caused by the battery failing (ballooned)
Getting the laptop fixed is non starter for me, MSI after service, outside of warranty, is extortionate at best
Anyway, I only wish to recover the m.2 drives data, and transfer to another laptop

I have an external m.2 reader, but with the drives being RAID, its not possible to read one at a time

I was wondering about the dual external readers, set up for RAID, but not sure if this is a simple plug n play, or if the drives are 'locked' to my gs60 board
Anyone have experience of these external units

I'll check this runtime.org also, thx

Associate
Its probably 10 years since I had to recover that raid, but the first step was imaging each disk from your RAID onto someplace else, then running recovery software which looked at each disk image and chugged over the images to rebuild the data manually.

It does not require the raid controller working, in fact that would probably just confuse things. Seem to remember there was a trial mode to tell you what it could get back.

Associate
OP
ok, so its sadly, not a straight forward process.
Id like to see what data is on the drives, it was a year since the laptop failed and imagine there are some bits id like to retrieve, but running the processes mentioned above it could be hit n miss as to whether it is recoverable anyway

What's the possibility to format both the m.2 drives, individually? no issues?

Back
Top Bottom