Laptop issue not covered by warranty - Grrrrrrrr

Soldato
my Dell studio 1557 which is 18months old and covered by a 4 year warranty has developed a broken hinge. being an i7 cpu based one i paid a fair whack for this.

called Dell expecting them to arrange a time for them to come and fix, but no they want me to send it in and pay £130 for a hinge and plastics replacement, it's not covered by warranty being a non mechanical part (which in my view a hinge is mechanical - more so than a motherboard!!)

i made a complaint and waiting for customer services to call back, really peed off about this, as the sales of good act states about an item being fit for purpose and a reasonable amount of time, for me to need this sort of repair after 18months is not so.

I have changed many a set of hinges of dells before, and could do it myself, but i really don't want to risk voiding my crappy warranty... as i can see the screws i need to remove are the blue sealed warranty ones

any thoughts on this ocuk?

Associate
Yeah keep pressing the issue. A man I know had his replaced for free under warranty after a polite chat with them. He also had the 4 year warranty. An engineer turned up noticed it had been caused by screws that had become loose over time, and had everything sorted for free.

Soldato
OP
yeah gonna go nuts when they call me back, i lost my fence in high winds last week, no insurance payout as it clearly states in the t&c's that i should have read its not covered, dell says all mechanical parts... but apparently hinges are not mechanical and part of the plastics which is not covered - grrrrrrr

Soldato
All parts of the notebook (apart from batteries for obvious reasons) should last a reasonable amount of time under european law, I believe that's at least 2 years for an expensive item like a notebook.

Talk to trading standards to find out exactly where you stand.

Associate
All parts of the notebook (apart from batteries for obvious reasons) should last a reasonable amount of time under european law, I believe that's at least 2 years for an expensive item like a notebook.

Talk to trading standards to find out exactly where you stand.

Only 2 years even though he has four year warranty?

Soldato
The 4 years covers mechanical break down, but Dell are claiming this isn't covered so the length of his warranty is irrelevant. However your statutory rights when purchasing goods are that they must be fit for purpose and last a reasonable length of time giving the price and nature of the goods. Problem here though is it's over 6 months old so the onus is on the purchaser to prove that the goods sold aren't of satisfactory quality, and no misuse or damage to the item has occurred.

Soldato
Thanks for the heads-up on that won't be buying an XPS then or any Dell laptop then. Cheeky buggers.. I would write to their head office a strogly worded letter and with pictures of the damage. They are taking the micky you paid for a 4 year warranty and they should honour it, hinges not mechanical ... unreal.. They just lost a sale on a high end XPS model because of what you said.. £130 for a plastic part (insane), they could have atleast been nice to offer to send you the part for you to try repair it if you could.

Last edited:
Soldato
The difference is the EU Directive covers a 2 year period where the seller has to undertake without extra charge to reimburse the price paid or to replace and/or repair consumer goods.

Our sale of goods act only gaurentees not being charged anything at all for the first 6 months. Even tho it goes upto 6 years (5 in scotland) after that 6 month period the seller is within their rights to expect the buyer to accept part payment. But it gets murky and depends on the item etc.

This is the joy of the EU directive, thats 2 years where you should not be expected to pay anything at all what so ever. Even tho the onus is still on the buyer to show that the item is not fit for purpose.

Don
The EU directive is exactly that, it's a directive to EU governments telling them what is expected of them in their own legislation on the subject of the sale of consumer goods. Anything that's in the directive that isn't in the SOGA isn't enforceable law.

Back
Top Bottom