Laptop issue not covered by warranty - Grrrrrrrr

Don
Because EU directives are not law. They are oddly enough directives to member states telling them what laws they are expected to implement as part of the common market. The SOGA is the applicable law in the UK.

Soldato
Because EU directives are not law. They are oddly enough directives to member states telling them what laws they are expected to implement as part of the common market. The SOGA is the applicable law in the UK.

That is not answering the question.

Okay, if I were to word things from your answer...

If the directive states that one should not be charged anything upto a 2 year period for getting something that is broken, unfit or whatever, replaced or fixed then our own SOGA has to back that up, as law.

Correct?

Don
No, what ever is in the SOGA is law. If something isn't but is in the directive, then the EU as part of their compliance checks would flag it up to the respective governments. If you google I'm pretty sure you would be able to find the EU report into the various nations state of compliance, which will indicate that SOGA is inline with the requirements (and in reality exceeds them).

Soldato
You are still not answering the question :S I'm not debating if a directive or the SOGA are laws. Obviously the SOGA is the law and the directive is, oddly enough, directing what the law should entail.

If the directive is saying the SOGA has to include a 2 year period of replacement/repair for faulty goods without costing the buyer anything then the SOGA has to comply!

Don
You are still not answering the question :S I'm not debating if a directive or the SOGA are laws. Obviously the SOGA is the law and the directive is, oddly enough, directing what the law should entail.

If the directive is saying the SOGA has to include a 2 year period of replacement/repair for faulty goods without costing the buyer anything then the SOGA has to comply!
But from the point of view of a UK based buyer it's irrelevant what the directive says, the SOGA is the law so saying the directive applies is simply not true.

Soldato
OP
Anyway... had a response from Dell, nice and blunt straight to the point!

As per Dell terms and conditions Hinges are wear and tear so this issue will not be covered under warranty. Please refer the below link form Dell terms and conditions. Dell’s position on this matter is final.

Please refer clause 8.4 in the link.

Link: http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/t...ter/terms?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~lt=popup

Soldato
OP
Ok, lets just say in my experience Dell don't rate that high on build quality, compared to say...Sony

lol not another SONY is best fan.. they are the most overatted company going.

its like cars we all have good and bad views on certain makes and models, im not best pleased with Dell right now, but still recommend them when i do my private IT work, as you get a good bit of kit for the cash and they always have deals and offers going. i personally like the build quality of some of the Samsung ones now, and the later 2010 onwards HP's have improved.

i have changed many a set of hinges and will do myself on this, but mad it has happened and need to check if indeed i will invalidate my remaining 2 year warranty if i repair myself.

Soldato
Hinges should last longer than 18 months, unless they're badly designed or poor quality.

Hell my laptop is getting on for 5 years old now and while the hinges are now a little loose they're still going strong

Soldato
We repair lots of Dell laptops and the most common faults are hinges and dc sockets , with hinges you periodically have to tighten the screws to the back cover as they work loose, they must use rubbish thread lock , is it the.mounting or the actual hinge, if it is the mounting point then I think you would have a case of not fit for purpose.

Soldato
Yes can you take a picture of the damage and let us see what has happened. As Beermonster said if the mounting point you may have a case. Also agree with you beermonster the hinges do work themsleves loose on some laptops and just need tightening and new thread lock. I have never seen it happen on Sony laptops but have on Dell, Acer, and a few others.

Soldato
OP
i agree, i was given over 50 dell d600 laptops 2 years back, which i then spent 4 months repairing and selling, made 35 fully working with the 50 units and bits from ebay, also made £3700 ;) most needed a new hinge or tightening, i know i can repair it myself, but i also reckon i will void my remaining warranty (for what its worth)

Soldato
A companies terms and conditions do not affect your statutory rights.

Hinges on a laptop should last more than 18 months.

Quoting from the EU booklet on consumer rights;
The fact is that a two year
guarantee applies for the sale of
all consumer goods everywhere in
the EU (Directive 1999/44/EC).

Also, quoting from trading standards;
The goods should be free from minor defects, safe and durable for a reasonable length of time
+
If you are claiming repair or replacement more than six months after purchase, the burden of proof is back to YOU, the consumer.

I suggest that you write them a letter stating this and that if the matter is not resolved withinin 14 days you will be entering into legal proceedings.

It would not hurt to get some kind of expert opinion on this to put along side the letter, I'm not sure who you would use tho, I guessing that a laptop technician would be your best port of call. Maybe there are one or two floating around the forum?

Back
Top Bottom