Large reservoirs?

Soldato
I'm currently planning a loop to fit my girlfriend's laser cutter - it uses a 35L water tank as a heat soak. This is the extent of its cooling ability for the laser tube - water starts at ambient temperature, and slowly increases as it absorbs heat from the laser. Once it reaches 25 degrees C the laser mustn't be used, and in summer that is basically immediately.

I'm configuring a system with less water, and a peltier cooler to mildly chill the liquid down to around 15 degrees. Controlling the temperature so it's the same all day long/year round will also result in more consistent cutting.

I'm hoping the system will work as a closed loop, but it may need some thermal ballast so I thought about adding perhaps a 5L reservoir. Any ideas if something like this can be bought/made? Ideally with G1/4 ports so I can use proper fittings and seal it from the dust in her workshop!

Soldato
OP
Sounds like the Alphacool Eiszeit 2000 Chiller would do the job... but it is a little expensive!
Blimey!

TBF, at that price I could've bought the chiller unit with the laser and had change. I'm quite interested in seeing how the peltier works as it's relatively low power and noise.

Associate
They use Peltier out in the wilds like canada/Alaska etc where have no power run from stove heat.
It's same thing used as ice makers up/down power as required so it's power in or out and one side hot other cold can configure for what you require?

you cold use in the pc beneath cooler just would have to watch how much volts you put in or would freeze cpu!
Looked at that before long while back also could incorperate into water cooling loop with them placed against the rad but you do have to dissipate the heat from other side also.

Associate
Other way is to build a tank into a fridge run pipes out of the side empty shelves and crap out then can run it nice and cool if big enough tank 10/20 litres fridge will run pretty ok

Beer chiller units might do also

Soldato
I'm currently planning a loop to fit my girlfriend's laser cutter - it uses a 35L water tank as a heat soak. This is the extent of its cooling ability for the laser tube - water starts at ambient temperature, and slowly increases as it absorbs heat from the laser. Once it reaches 25 degrees C the laser mustn't be used, and in summer that is basically immediately.

I'm configuring a system with less water, and a peltier cooler to mildly chill the liquid down to around 15 degrees. Controlling the temperature so it's the same all day long/year round will also result in more consistent cutting.

I'm hoping the system will work as a closed loop, but it may need some thermal ballast so I thought about adding perhaps a 5L reservoir. Any ideas if something like this can be bought/made? Ideally with G1/4 ports so I can use proper fittings and seal it from the dust in her workshop!

Hi. My 40W laser uses the CW-3000 unit. (Seems to be pretty popular as i see it bundled with quite a lot of lasers. Google it and it will definitely come up.) I find it can get warm at around 29 degrees but it doesnt seem to affect my lasers cutting ability. However if you need more cooling capacity just to be sure get the CW-5000. Albeit the 3000 is rated to 80W lasers?? Not sure i would though..

Back
Top Bottom