Largish Family Car - SUV?

Soldato
Hi folks,

Tempted to swap the E43 in. I've had a good time with it, and I am happy to keep it - just testing the waters on larger cars. The boot became a limiting factor on a large road trip even with 1 kid; so with two I could do with "stacking ability" [i.e. hatchback shape]. Just browsing AT and can see some quite fun ideas...

E.g.
Maserati Levante

Range Rover Mid-Fat (2.0 PHEV)

Range Rover Velar

Stelvio :cool:

X3M (not sure it is big enough?)

F-Pace SVR (front runner so far?)

GLE

XC90

Edit: X5 45e

Any thoughts? I don't really want to pay more than 15k over what I can get for the E43 which is approx. 25k according to Motorway. Insurance on the E43 is creeping up for some reason, too.

Reliability is my number 1 - although I mainly/almost exclusively do motorway miles. I use the Pug e2008 for around town.

Last edited:
Is there really much space in these? They are usually shorter than the equivalent estate car.
That's kind of a perk though, the E43 is like a yacht on my tiny drive.

Whys the x3m on that list? Smaller than what you have now.
Fun factor + couldn't afford X5m and the only ones in my price range were 45e's and 50ds. I do like the look of them though.

Edit: Insurance on the XC90 is pretty low. This may be a winner as I hear they are pretty reliable too?

Edit2: I also always liked the Lexus Rx but think the CVT may be a deal breaker. Is it as bad as I think it may be?

Last edited:
I mean, they all have big brutes of engines there. But I would be most tempted by the Volvo despite probably being the least exciting on that list. I do also like that Range Rover though.
Yeah it's annoying but that's the way* I'm leaning too. Cheapest insurance, too...

Panamera? Too expensive? Macan? (Audi in a frock?)
Macan in budget but too small. Pana too long.

Last edited:
Ah fair. Pana doesn't fit the bill at all. As long as they aren't longer than the e43 I'm happy.

Going to try and get a seat in an XC90 I think. Hoping it's gash as I'd rather the SVR, but if it's nicer and substantially cheaper to run, it could be a winner.

Although I was thinking X5 is a bit easier to find. Most XC90s seem to be across the border in the frosty norffff.

The F-Pace SVR interior looks like a blood-bath.
Yeah they are proper gash. My boss has a brand new Sport SVR with the white seats. Aweful styling.

Tesla Model Y? £30k gets you a very decent one now and it’s peanuts to run if you’re charging at home etc. Big boot and easy to live with.
Tempted but it feels a bit sacrilege. Disco5 is interesting - I'd only ever buy a JLR new though I think.

Since when did Mazda's have BMW's gear too? Thought it looked familiar. It is even called "Mi-Drive" lol.

Edit: this is the current favourite I think. Slightly out of budget........

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'd want a massive 4x4 with a 2 litre 4 cylinder engine regardless of how much electric assistance there is. This is one you definitely need a proper test drive of to decide for yourself as I just can't see how the power delivery of that will fit the luxury style of the car.
Yeah I agree. I convinced myself the F Pace would be a fun thing but it was a wallowy under powered thing, even in the 300hp trim.

What is the go-to six cylinder BMW SUV?

Edit: I see both the 45e and the 40i are the B58. I think that is what I am most interested in now. There is much more stock available vs. the XC90, too. I don't really need the battery component so I am tempted to focus on 40i's. Might take a ride around next week as I am off work.

Would appreciate any instructions on what to look for :D.

Buy a V90 and use the savings to put solar on your house. Estates are better anyway :p
Hah, yeah, my dad would be turning in his grave. He loved a good estate and we had some fun ones over the gears (Focus Estate being god tier; and then he went for a crazy underpowered MG ZT-T for his final car). It was a lovely spacious barge though.

I was tempted by an RS4 but Audi's just seem to really turn me off...

Edit: I think with BMW my budget is landing squarely in COVID-era cars :(

Could push for something like this. Odd options on this one:

Getting too high now:

Last edited:
Why do you insist on a Chelsea tractor? :-/
I've never had one before - and I can see the appeal w.r.t getting in and out easily. I need an estate style-boot, but I don't quite fancy an estate. It may be folly but the lower glass makes them quite an insecure place to leave a bag with a laptop and gear in too. I've had a few colleagues lose their rear windows parked in London in 3 and 5 series estates as it's such a quick grab and run. I'm not saying the X5 is immune but at least height is on it's side.

I think X5 40i is the favourite so far - I will try and get a drive in one. The 45e is more complicated and about £200 more expensive to insure.

cool electric front - ID buzz - renaissance of the MPV, can't get more family / DIY palette in the back at jewsons, friendly
arteon tyoe R estates aren't too long, also exclusive, not a R6 though

.. a tall vehicle like an SUV out front on your house works, though.
Haha I was hoping the Buzz would hit my salsac scheme but it hasn't yet. Master plan was an Alphard.

I'll check out the Arteon, although I am not the biggest fan of VW.

No love for a LR defender, or are they daft expensive?
I LOVE the new defender and would love a 110. They are just silly money. I still get my late fathers privilege discount - the 5.0 is "only" 425p vs. 500 odd on the 90 and 130 wheelbase, and £1300/mo with a £5k discount. Doable but not sensible :cry:

350hp diesel is £780/mo with a £5k discount so also doable but not sensible. I was so glad to "sans" car payment when the E43 got cleared, so it'd be daft to go back to that situation without good reason.

I’d definitely consider the Mazda cx60. It’s quite a thing.
I do like the look of them - just wasn't sure about drivetrain. They are a bargain compared to the rest on the list. My closest dealer is a Mazda too...

Also unsure if it's a bit too small, but the new Toyota Rav4 seems a size bigger than i expected. I always thought it was the same platform as the Lexus NX but it seems bigger.

Could probably get a brand new hybrid one in budget too, and they're doing some pretty good finance deals.
Dunno man, feels a bit meh. Probably tainted because my FIL has one and he's a jerk.

As a boring option. Could you consider just sticking a roofbox onto a regular hatch style saloon?

That gives you the storage space you want for the occasions you need it for road trips etc, but without all the day to day downsides a bigger car might bring?
Yeah had that chat to midwife appointment earlier. A bit of it is itchy feet I think. I LOVE the E43. It makes me happy every time I get in it. I've had it for the longest of any cars I've owned though (well, maybe, apart from the Fiesta that was in my family from 2002-2012).

It wasn't quite roof box - but I realised I could equip every destination with an Amazon delivery of everything too big to transport for a much lower cost :D

Last edited:
This was made for you and you man jobs @dlockers

You understand this puts you on par with jp right? :cry: :cool::D

cool electric front - ID buzz - renaissance of the MPV, can't get more family / DIY palette in the back at jewsons, friendly
arteon tyoe R estates aren't too long, also exclusive, not a R6 though

.. a tall vehicle like an SUV out front on your house works, though.

An Audi Q7 fits the bill here.. Doesn't need to be the SQ7 although V8 FTW. Option of 7 seats and the towing & carrying capacity are huge.
I did have a look at SQ7 when you suggested. It reminded me of when I loaded a TV into one when I worked warehouse - man that thing looked badass. I couldn't find one that wasn't diesel in budget though?

Back
Top Bottom