Late 90s 'Time' Retro Rig - Advice needed!

Associate
Oh wow. Our family used to have one of these! A very long time ago, mind. I can't have been any older than 10.

Nice project! Great to see this pop up. Brilliant!

Associate
OP
:/ Dang, hope I can solve this edb.cab thing soon, these games aren't going to play themselves..

wd9s.jpg

Soldato
ahhh kingdoms!! I remember playing that on a store bought pc and when the buildings were being made from mass of tentacle things my pc would lag so bad!

Ive got a copy sat here and i keep meaning to install it just hope win 7 works fine with it.

Also have copy of microsoft combat sim, another epic game

Caporegime
Nice project, makes me wish I still had my old Compaq Presario 5170! I even had the 17" screen with clip-on speakers, twas a beast with it's 350MHz Pentium II and it's Rage Pro XL 8MB AGP 2x! I'd upgraded that thing with 80MB of RAM! and a Voodoo 3 2000! Q3A ran like butter at 640x480 :p

Associate
OP
The Pentium II machines were amazing at the time. I entered with a AMD 233mhz and the performance on my cousin's P2 was miles ahead. My only regrets about this system are that it isn't a P2 with an AGP slot (just to make it period perfect), but for actual use Im glad of the extra power this system has. Im looking forward to experiencing the Win9x OS again. I've been on XP since around 05.

Anyone have any more ideas about my problem in post #23? ^
Im really stuck until I can solve this.. It is caused by this machine having 2 HDDs as the microsoft solution says. Maybe I will have to try disconnecting the 2nd HDD?

Soldato
Some cool old school stuff going on here, made me hunt through my box to see what ive still got kicking about, so far found and old pentium 233 and k6-2 400 an ati rage 128 and an s3 savage 4 (while crap was the first card to bring us agp 4x and texture compression uber cool) Im sure ive also got a matrox g400 somewhere (environment bump mapping, dual vga output both awesome features for the time) I suspect as they've been kept in a dusty box all are knackered but ill keep them for the nephew to play with

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Guys, which (UK) magazine was it that used to list the top 25 (I think) of each genre of game at the back? Like a listing for RPG, RTS, FPS etc? Was it PC Zone, PC Format? I used to really like that feature, when a big game got reviewed, you would see where it made it into the chart at the back. I remember Half Life held top FPS spot for a long time, and there was some old text based RPG that stayed in the chart right into the late 90s..

Those mags, and especially the shareware CDs that came with them just seemed like landfill back in the day, but now I wish I'd have kept all those..

Soldato
Guys, which (UK) magazine was it that used to list the top 25 (I think) of each genre of game at the back? Like a listing for RPG, RTS, FPS etc? Was it PC Zone, PC Format? I used to really like that feature, when a big game got reviewed, you would see where it made it into the chart at the back. I remember Half Life held top FPS spot for a long time, and there was some old text based RPG that stayed in the chart right into the late 90s..

Those mags, and especially the shareware CDs that came with them just seemed like landfill back in the day, but now I wish I'd have kept all those..

Wasnt it pcgamer?

Associate
OP
No Gamer only came later, it was PC Zone, I found a scan of an old copy.

Ok I disconnected the 2nd HHD and that got past that Windows install error. Win 98 is installed and running.
I tried to install the Banshee card. Wondows recognizes that there is a new PCI VGA adapter present and asks for the driver, when i send it to the location it just ignores it and puts its own one up. So I go the 'show a list of drivers' > 'have disk' route then force it to install the Banshee drivers. I got them installed, but there is no signal coming from the Banshee card, only the onboard graphics VGA output and windows says driver is installed but card not working properly. Now is the card actually not working do you think, or could windows still tell that a PCI VGA card was present even if it was dead?
I should be getting a 2D output from the card whatever no? Could it be a conflict with the integrated gfx set? Surely it should just overide that no?
:(

Last edited:
Associate
Could it be a conflict with the integrated gfx set? Surely it should just overide that no?
:(

Think it is possible that it could detect the card and it still be dead, but fairly sure it'll be something in the bios, using the onboard GFX by default rather than outputting through the VGA slot?

Associate
OP
I've actually unplugged the Banshee card and its detecting the onboard GFX as a pci vga card and asking for drivers for that. So for now I've taken out the Banshee and just installed the onboard drivers.
My friend also said something about turning off onboard gfx in the bios, but if the Banshee card is dead, Im worried I won't be able to re-set it with no video output. He said something about unplugging a cable on the board to re-set the bios settings, but I better wait until he comes over before trying that.

Back
Top Bottom