Latest immigration figures.

Soldato
I think immigration has its benfits but on balance and considering the pressures on the NHS, housing, economy, jobs etc, further unrelenting immigration is not a good thing.

Australia managed to sort it - why cant we.

There is nothing racist about being against a continued influx.

20 years ago I could have a doctors appointment within a week. Now its a month.

Man of Honour
Well we can all say things like it is good or bad buts lets factor it in to why is happening in this country at the minute.

Rising rents and a shortage of houses.

Public sector cuts, pressure on the NHS.

There are over 600,000 empty homes in the England and over 200,000 dwellings that are unoccupied for over 6 months - so there isn't really a shortage of homes.

The NHS has a 1/4 of its workforce thanks to immigration - the NHS would collapse without it.

The UK has the least amount of migration in the EU - so there isn't really a problem - other countries deal with it without much problem.

Soldato
I can t see how any of this good?

In my town the Polish are trying to take over! Opening up shops, stopping the English from going into them.

In my experience I have never been stopped going into a Polish shop, that just wouldn't make sense, why wouldn't they want me to spend money in their shop? :confused:

Crime has gone up, jobs are fewer and paid less. What's good about that?

I guess it depends on what 'crime' you are talking about. There certainly seems a cultural difference (as in they are about 50 years behind) when it comes to drink related issues; driving, domestic violence etc.

The jobs argument is difficult, as on average the empirical evidence seems to indicate it doesn't affect wages overall, but I have certainly seen it depress wages in specific sectors.

Soldato
I'll just pop up the local town centre any day of the week. I can see first hand all those hard working immigrants.

At least we can all get a £2.50 car wash and a cheap tarmaced drive.

No real surprise as you only have to read half the comments in this thread. I'd hate to bring children up and make them deal with our downfall.

Associate
Immigration is good for the UK.

To an extent, yes, providing the country in question has adequate resources to accommodate it.

Do we have the resources to accommodate these numbers? I'm not sure. But there are a lot of indications that there is more demand than what we can provide (housing, jobs, NHS, etc)

Soldato
Immigration is good for the UK.

Much better having less green spaces.
More noise
More traffic
More pollution
More crime
More overcrowded class rooms
Longer waits for NHS treatment.

But hey we will all be slightly richer in wealth and have a greater selection of foreign restaurants to spend it at.

Soldato
If there aren't enough houses, or enough healthcare or education, why do we blame the immigrants?

Surely it's the role of government to ensure provision (NHS, education) and suitably supportive policy (housebuilding)?

It suits politicians to shift blame for their failings onto immigrants - but don't fall for all that bull[poo] without thinking a little more critically.

Caporegime
There are over 600,000 empty homes in the England and over 200,000 dwellings that are unoccupied for over 6 months - so there isn't really a shortage of homes.

The NHS has a 1/4 of its workforce thanks to immigration - the NHS would collapse without it.

The UK has the least amount of migration in the EU - so there isn't really a problem - other countries deal with it without much problem.

exactly - we're much better off with immigrants than we are with some section of society - 300,000 immigrants will contribute

300,000 people born to parents who don't work will likely be a net drain overall

if we've got a population problem then curing population growth in other areas would be better than curbing immigration... more abortions, more contraception, better sex education and fewer benefits

Associate
Do enlighten us as to what that "situation" will be

Shortage of school places or bigger class sizes :o , shortage of houses , longer delays with infrastructure , working for smaller wages , public services stretched .

I'm all for immigration to be completely honest , I want doctors , I want nurses , I want the best engineers , all I am saying is it needs to be managed levels.

I can't believe some people can say with a straight face that the country can cope with that amount of new people year on year while not increasing public services , houses etc etc.

Soldato
Because 330,000 a year take a lot of houses. To replace them we have to build on our once green and pleasant land, which will increased demand on the NHS.

A city of half a million people takes up a circle of less than 4 miles diameter. less than 40 square miles.

We could build one of those every year for 100 years and still have only used up about 4% of the UK's land mass.

Soldato
if we've got a population problem then curing population growth in other areas would be better than curbing immigration... more abortions, more contraception, better sex education and fewer benefits

So what you are saying is that innocent babies should be murdered to make room for more immigrants? The love of money is really the root of all evil.

Permabanned
OP
How many of those homes are social/private housing? Do local authorities/housing association have the money to bring social housing back into service given the cuts?

Private sector rents are rising, does increased demand lower or increase the price?

Are the numbers of doctors and nurses etc etc being increased to keep up with the demand?

How are they dealing with it?

Permabanned
OP
If there aren't enough houses, or enough healthcare or education, why do we blame the immigrants?

Surely it's the role of government to ensure provision (NHS, education) and suitably supportive policy (housebuilding)?

It suits politicians to shift blame for their failings onto immigrants - but don't fall for all that bull[poo] without thinking a little more critically.

Who is blaming immigrants?

Caporegime
Shortage of school places or bigger class sizes :o , shortage of houses , longer delays with infrastructure , working for smaller wages , public services stretched .

None of those things result from immigration

I'm all for immigration to be completely honest , I want doctors , I want nurses , I want the best engineers , all I am saying is it needs to be managed levels.

In many African countries they have to train three nurses for each one that stays and works in Africa because rich countries like ours rather than training enough nurses import nurses trained at the expense of poor countries. Do you think that's a good thing?

I can't believe some people can say with a straight face that the country can cope with that amount of new people year on year while not increasing public services , houses etc etc.

We're not. Fortunately the economic benefits of immigration help us pay for more public services, houses, etc. The reason these things aren't happening is because of the government's we've voted in not because of people coming here.

Back
Top Bottom