Laughing teens film disabled man drowning instead of helping him

Soldato
Just read this article (Independent) and can't believe they did this. I'm not saying that they should have gone into the water as that may have endangered their safety but they could have at least called the emergency services. But they did nothing but record and laugh about it.

Is there a law covering that scenario here? I hope some sort of retrospective action is taken against them.

Soldato
I don't think we have a law that would cover that either.

Seems like we should though. I can understand not risking your own life but to not make any attempt to help...

Permabanned
Shocking. There's a real lack of empathy in people today.

It's highlighted on this very forum sometimes :(

Indeed. It's even prevalent amongst those who claim to be profoundly 'libertarian' and 'forward thinking'.

I remember as I was walking through Birmingham city centre there was a taxi driver dragging a woman out of the back of his cab by the hair. Me and another guy ran up to him and wrestled him off her whilst 50+ others just stood there recording it. Never been so angry in my life.

Caporegime
The story isn't entirely clear though

Jamel Dunn, of Cocoa, Florida, died after wading into a fenced off pond following cries for help which went ignored.

1) Is it a pond or a lake? Make your mind up article.
2) Somebody was shouting for help and that's why this man waded in? Or he was shouting for help and his cries were ignored?

Soldato
couldn't this be covered under manslaughter?

their actions (or lack thereof) are a factor in the man's death (ie that they could have taken steps to prevent it or at least called in professional assistance) and therefore they're partially culpable?

Soldato
Believe the only time you have to help is if you are in a certain social position (police, fireman, doctor, etc. Not entirely certain on the specifics) that means you have a duty of care, on duty or not.

No one else has to help.

Morally it's a different story.

Soldato
Sad indictment of societies morals at present. Laugh and mock rather than help.

Sadly as stated in the article there's apparently no crime they can be charged with. Hopefully though, being America the family may be able to peruse some sort of civil case. Bankrupt the little turds and their families.

Caporegime
Disgusting absolutely disgusting.

As they will not be charged with any offence, one hopes that this haunts them forever. They also better hope that if one of them are drowning that unlike them, someone will come to their aid.

Soldato
Believe the only time you have to help is if you are in a certain social position (police, fireman, doctor, etc. Not entirely certain on the specifics) that means you have a duty of care, on duty or not.

No one else has to help.

Morally it's a different story.

so they don't have a requirement to at least call in the emergency services?

i can get that they aren't required to offer physical assistance, especially if it would endanger themselves

Caporegime
Daily Mail (ick) has more information

Investigators said Dunn had gotten into an argument with his fiancée at the pond about 15 minutes before the drowning.

Authorities said the teens warned Dunn, who walks with a cane, not to enter the water.

'The kids were at the park that day smoking marijuana and apparently saw him walk into the water. He walked in on his own. They were watching him,' said Yvonne Martinez, Cocoa Police Department spokesperson.

'(The teens) were telling him they weren't going in after him and that 'you shouldn't have gone in there,'' the spokesperson said.

Even when it became apparent that Dunn was having trouble in the water, none of the boys called 911.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...med-laughing-watching-disabled-man-drown.html

Soldato
so they don't have a requirement to at least call in the emergency services?

i can get that they aren't required to offer physical assistance, especially if it would endanger themselves

Not an expert on law but no I don't believe so.

However it may become grey if they knew he was dead? Not well versed in law regarding reporting a body, preventing burial, etc.

Caporegime
Why did he go in the water is probably pertinent to why i still can't understand what's going on here.

Not enough information pretty much describes every article nowadays, anyway if going off what little there is, then it's just the idiocracy everyone doesn't want but wont stop.

Man of Honour
Sad indictment of societies morals at present. Laugh and mock rather than help.

Sadly as stated in the article there's apparently no crime they can be charged with. Hopefully though, being America the family may be able to peruse some sort of civil case. Bankrupt the little turds and their families.

I wonder if society is getting worse or whether the internet, etc. has made us more aware of the depth of it within society.

Was the homeless man in mortal danger at the time?

Does it matter? mocking someone for their misfortune, etc. is low.

Caporegime
Does it matter? mocking someone for their misfortune, etc. is low.

As long as it's not your own misfortune, i mean it's literally the purpose of capitalism to care about yourself above everything else, which is entirely not a bad thing. You can't expect people to fly after wealth and also be nice to everyone in the process, it's not rewarded whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom