Lean and Green - modular dual PC scratch build

Associate
OP
Going at the slow pace I was before figuring how to do it faster it would have taken a week of many hours a day to get through all the 10mm alu :eek: but with knowing how to go faster now I'd say a couple of days instead :) still a long time but not bad really :D.

Also found it does the thick stuff best on slowest speed.

Got some adhesive spray & more masking tape so good to go but I think if I started right now I'd end up doing it until it's done which would probably be in the early hours so I'll pass until tomorrow so I can maintain a proper sleep pattern & put a good solid day into it :D.

Associate
OP
Started a bit late but because of skipping yesterday I just wouldn't stop until I got 1 of them done. :)

Tried the 12 TPI & they cut really well but only for about 2 inches & then they get pretty blunt & struggle to cut more so I'll stick to the 18 TPI, seem to get a whole lot more done with those on the 10mm alu.
LAG-34.jpg

Snap, this happens more than I like but not too often. :D
LAG-35.jpg

Continue
LAG-36.jpg

LAG-37.jpg

Neeeeeed fuel :D awesome pasta pesto 10 minute quick fix of goodness with a good kick of scorching chillies. :cool::D
LAG-38.jpg

Woo hoooooo feeling 50 times better so time to get this panel finished. :)
LAG-39.jpg

LAG-40.jpg

LAG-41.jpg

:D More soon :cool:

Associate
OP
My patience ran out with the weak fretsaw blades, was taking way too long to cut.

Figured it would only take a couple of minutes to mod a band saw blade by grinding it so went & done it & tested it & it works awesome. :D
LAG-42.jpg

Took a few seconds to get from the start hole to be just inside the line for the cutting & can easily do the curves I need it to while eating though it nicely. :)
LAG-43.jpg

And since I'm not 100% happy with the front chunky piece for the HTPC because of a tiny error while getting used to the 10mm alu I will continue to do the whole project & make notes of any bits I botch so I can make another order to re do any bad parts so it all stays to plan.

I looked on ebay for 10mm alu plate & it is far more expensive than the place I buy from, to get a replacement piece from the shop it would be £3 on ebay it would be £21 for double what I need so if I wait until I have all panels & bars ready to fix together then I won't waste money on postage unnecessarily. :)

Associate
Look's very interesting, can't wait to see how it all comes together. I'm an engineer my self, spent the last 23 years fabricating, fitting, tool making etc, would love to have the time and my own equipment to do something like this. You now have a very jealous subscriber. I know you will be very busy,but could you include as much detail as possible (fixing methods tool used etc etc. Alu is a bitch to work some times, WD-40 is a good cutting fluid but I guess this could be messy and screw with your patterns. Anyway all the best with an epic project

Associate
OP
Look's very interesting, can't wait to see how it all comes together. I'm an engineer my self, spent the last 23 years fabricating, fitting, tool making etc, would love to have the time and my own equipment to do something like this. You now have a very jealous subscriber. I know you will be very busy,but could you include as much detail as possible (fixing methods tool used etc etc. Alu is a bitch to work some times, WD-40 is a good cutting fluid but I guess this could be messy and screw with your patterns. Anyway all the best with an epic project

:o Not more jealous subscribers lol :D this scroll saw is causing a lot of that :D but at least people will see I'm really putting the tools I bought to good use, thanks Wazz :cool:.
I have too much free time but virtually no money, usually the other way around for most so have to save hard & long to do this so my life isn't anything to be envious about but my mind might be with being quite happy when I have so little. :D
23 years of fabrication experience you should be absolutely awesome at this kind of stuff :) I only have a smidge over 3 years only doing little bits & with no formal training in any of it. :D

I'll cover all the details though mate, just have an absolute ton of scroll saw work to do first lol, starting with the most grueling stuff first. :D

Soooooo much better than days getting nowhere, took about 2 hours to do this whole panel & to be honest it's done better than the other. :D
LAG-44.jpg

LAG-45.jpg

LAG-46.jpg

LAG-47.jpg

Next up is the bigger plates shown here. :D

Associate
OP
I measure marked in sketchup so I could fit the stands design on 4 a-4 sheets then drew aligning crosses with circles (2 for each joining edge), used layout to make a 4 page pdf, printed, then used a ruler & razor to cut where needed, then joined together as spot on as humanly possible & tacked together with a tiny piece of cello tape & tacked all pieces together & then completed any gaps that missed cello tape to aid in none tear application, then took the masked up panel & design to the garage, gave the work piece a good spray with the adhesive & stuck the design on it, ready for cutting. :)

These are 4 a-4 prints cut to size with a ruler & razor.
LAG-48.jpg

Joined together carefully with cello tape.
LAG-49.jpg

Stuck on the masking tape covered alu plate ready for drilling & cutting.
LAG-50.jpg

Quite a process & botched the first one so needed to print another 4 :o but much easier & more precise than manual marking which takes a heck of a long time for me & the glue spray is a much better method than pritt stick. :D

I did consider using a CAD printing company to upload the designs to so they could print them onto bigger sheets of paper but thought I'd give joing a-4 sheets together to learn a new trick. :D

This process is a bit time consuming with it being new to me so I'll do the cutting tomorrow & attempt to get these last 2 10mm plates done.

Associate
OP
I,ve seen guy's come through years of training with more qualifications than you can shake a stick at that can't cut a straight line, You have a real talent mate keep up the good work.

Lol :D Thanks for the compliment Wazz. :)

Could really do with making an extension table for the front & sides although I suppose I could flip the blade the other way around & pull instead of push, might be trickier though but I'll give it a try, my arms keep going dead from holding the heavy plate while guiding it with 1 hand so need to stop every few minutes. :D

Anyway taking off the excess weight from the outside edges, hopefully I can dig deep & do all the outside edges at least today, still about 6 or 7 hours until I'll call it a day.

LAG-51.jpg

LAG-52.jpg

Associate
OP
Had a 17 hour sleep lol, this cold or whatever it is really kicked my rear for the first day, 17 hours :eek::o:D but I'm feeling a lot better & my nose isn't dribbling like it were, just a slightly sore throat & temporary damaged sleep pattern so a quick passing cold.

Since the work I'm doing is noisy due to the table not being big enough to support bigger pieces on the front I'll use tonight to get all the designs ready for printing.

I made the extension surface piece last night, just need a base & bars or blocks of wood to make the height right & then fix it to the table which the saw is on, could have ordered a 6mm large alu sheet to replace the stock one but it costs £70 with VAT & delivery.

If I bought 2 3mm sheets it would be £55 delivery included & I know the seller sends them out fast, it's tempting because it won't require a complex mod, just add the mounting holes, cutting hole & dust holes & smooth off the holes & edges & replace the stock one, very tempted but I'll see if I can make an easy to remove one first with scraps lying around. :D

Associate
Had a 17 hour sleep lol, this cold or whatever it is really kicked my rear for the first day, 17 hours :eek::o:D but I'm feeling a lot better & my nose isn't dribbling like it were, just a slightly sore throat & temporary damaged sleep pattern so a quick passing cold.

Hope your feeling better, hate to see this build delayed!

Since the work I'm doing is noisy due to the table not being big enough to support bigger pieces on the front I'll use tonight to get all the designs ready for printing.

My god!! you'll mod anything!:eek: Next you'll be making spoliers for your car!!:D

Associate
OP
Hope your feeling better, hate to see this build delayed!

My god!! you'll mod anything!:eek: Next you'll be making spoliers for your car!!:D
Ahh feeling heaps better now :) & got something made to make scroll saw work go along smoother :cool: & oh yes I'll mod anything. :D

Wow, 17 hours is impressive! :)

Hope you get better, and can get on with building :)

kd
Lol much better now, must have been a quick passing cold. :) thanks

What I wouldn't give for 17 hours sleep. -_-

I'mma do it after exams in a couple of weeks.
Going short of sleep sucks, especially when using your mind, always good to catch up on it whenever possible & all the best with your exams mate. :cool:

Finally got the extension for the front of the scroll saw made. :D
LAG-53.jpg

LAG-54.jpg

LAG-55.jpg

LAG-56.jpg

I'll be able to use both hands now for parts like this. :cool:

Progress resumes tomorrow, wooo hoooooo. :D

Associate
OP
this is simply amazing great work so far
Thanks HUNTER :) I'll try to keep the pace & quality up.

Ok since my sleep pattern is knackered once again but I was feeling highly focused I decided to just get on with it through the night but at a slow gentle pace so it didn't create noise & slowly but surely got it done. :D
LAG-57.jpg

LAG-58.jpg

LAG-59.jpg

LAG-60.jpg

1 of the big 10mm pieces done, 1 more to go.
LAG-61.jpg

And pulled all the templates & masking tape & protective film off the other 10mm pieces for a few group photos of 4 out of the 5 10mm alu pieces.
LAG-62.jpg

LAG-63.jpg

LAG-64.jpg

Warning, cutting 10mm good grade alu even with a good tool like the scroll saw I have tests a persons focus & patience, zombie mode with keeping control high is required. :D

Associate
OP
very good - best of luck with this.
Thanks booyaka, not sure if I'm being delusional but I think I might get this one done a lot quicker than usual, just feel like I really know what I'm doing after Stealthlow :D we'll see. :)

Looking good! are you able to place the bits next to something so we can see what the size is going to be like?
Thanks redfist :) I seen this comment & I meant to throw in something for showing an idea of it's size but it skipped my mind when taking photos, will do on the next progress update. ;)

Ok Got all the 10mm alu cut but I have crap news & good news. :( :D

The crap news is the HTPC sides are 2 to 3mm too big on the size of the outside edges & inside edges so is no good for my design, I must have printed the design of an earlier revision, had about 10 revisions in my folder so mucked up good there, here is how they would have looked if I printed the right one.
LAG-65.jpg

And this is how it looks in reality, missing the inside lips because of the size difference.
LAG-66.jpg

LAG-67.jpg

I have checked all my newer prints & they all measure up spot on like the sketchup model so it was a pure muck up by me for using the wrong flipping model, d'oh.

Good news is I have ordered some more 10mm alu to re do them & the HTPC side panels made won't go to waste & I will make a tweaked version of the HTPC & sell it, but I won't be doing that one until I've completed Lean & Green.
LAG-68.jpg

So at least I have the stands panels done spot on at least & they were much harder to do because of the size & weight of them when they were stock plate alu.
LAG-69.jpg

LAG-70.jpg

LAG-71.jpg

LAG-72.jpg

Now I'm waiting for the extra 10mm alu it's time to pick what I'll do next, plan was to start off with doing all the difficult or patience testing bits first lol. :D

Associate
OP
Preparations, wow nearly a week of prep work lol as well as waiting for other bits.

Figured I should do an update of some sort & make this as a mini tutorial project interval, :D not been slacking much at all & this bit took many many hours to do overall although I have been enjoying some more skyrim with some of the time I been waiting for extra supplies :D but mostly been preparation work.

3d concept, I keep all individual pieces as groups which keeps them as individual components so they don't become stuck together in the design that are easy to move around so I can just select 1 & edit it whenever with minimal fuss.
LAG-73.jpg

Here is how I work out what dimensions of material I need for curve pieces, triple click a curve piece & measure each section on the outside of a curve which gives really close accuracy, would give perfect accuracy but when you get odd measurements like 1.56mm or 1.63 is says it like 1.6~mm so I add up to the closest big measurement which I note as 1.7 to be safe so I work entirely with 0.1mm difference for any pieces like that & then I can sand down the super faint difference to perfection & do the same for any cut outs like the round bars I'll be using on this piece, makes the holes a bit oval when it's laid out in 2d but should allow for the same as the model.
LAG-74.jpg

Separating every piece including curved pieces ready for 2d printing on a-4 paper & adding 2 2mm squares with crosses inside them for every joining edge, then finalise the last save with camera parallel projection & then standard camera view as top, ready for layout.

A-4 is 297mm x 210mm but when setting things up to print I pretend it is 280mm x 190mm which prevents where it won't print on the paper so you keep all your needed lines, yes you can choose to print without borders but I think this way give best accuracy especially on a budget printer. :D I could give it a bit more than what I do but I like to keep it safe.
LAG-75.jpg

Layout which lets you dump your sketchup model & make multi page printable pdf file templates, you don't get this part of sketchup on the free version though but if you look around you can find ways to buy a student license which is a heck of a lot cheaper than the retail version meant for commercial use. ;)
LAG-76.jpg

LAG-77.jpg

Multipage pdf file ready for printing.
LAG-78.jpg

And all the little files ready to print.
LAG-79.jpg

Printed all of them & I have them in 2 different stacks, 1 for the gaming rig & the other for the HTPC, next stage is to cut them perfectly with a nice steel ruler & razer, tack them together perfectly measuring all the while & then using the spray glue to mount the templates to the materials ready to cut/drill, think prep work takes the longest to be honest but it should let the progress really flow fast once it's done.
LAG-80.jpg

LAG-81.jpg

One of the stands side panels after cutting, I have quite a bit of spare 10mm alu from the big cut outs & 1 of the pieces I will make drilling, tapping helpers which can clamp to any panels, even edges & ends of bars so I can drill perfectly where I want to & drill perfectly straight with a manual power drill, so yep more custom tools to be made for doing this how I want it. :D
LAG-82.jpg

Currently at 5 big steps forward & 3 big steps back but with a load of prep work done lol. :D

Associate
Wow! An amazing amount of work and skill going into this build.

It's looking good so far and I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this as it continues.

Back
Top Bottom