Leaving eggs out of the fridge

Associate
My wife (French) never puts eggs in the fridge. I have managed to get her putting ketchup/sauces in the fridge.

I never got why folk don't put them in the fridge. They've always said "once opened, keep refrigerated" on the label!

But to OP, my eggs are in the cupboard and are fine (often long past the BB date too!)

Soldato
The float test is a perfectly good way to check the freshness of eggs and to tell what to use them for.

No float/lies on side = very fresh, these are the best to use for frying as the white will still be quite firm.
Floats slightly but not fully upright = fresh, best for poaching
Floats on one end, is upright = still fine to eat, best for scrambling or using in baking.
Floats at top of water = throw it away, it's gone bad.

Soldato
OP
The float test is a perfectly good way to check the freshness of eggs and to tell what to use them for.

No float/lies on side = very fresh, these are the best to use for frying as the white will still be quite firm.
Floats slightly but not fully upright = fresh, best for poaching
Floats on one end, is upright = still fine to eat, best for scrambling or using in baking.
Floats at top of water = throw it away, it's gone bad.

Thanks, good info. I've pasted and saved all that into my phone's food and recipes notebook. :)

Associate
no need to keep eggs from eu states in the fridge . now eggs if you live in the us is another matter due to the fact they wash them in a solution that removes the coating on them.

Back
Top Bottom